De-authorize Windows device from Admin account to authorize same device for a team member?

I need to de-authorize a windows device from my account so that I can authorize it for one of my team members. I was trying to setup the 1Password Windows app on a team members PC and I mistakenly signed in with my admin account. Now if I try to sign in using the team members Email Address, Account Key and Master Password I get a login error. I can sign in with my master password but then that device has access to all Vaults, which I don't want. I want to be able to setup this device with just access to the shared vaults for this team member.

1Password Version: 6.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Remove Windows Device

Comments

• minordv8
    minordv8
    Community Member

P.S. Uninstalling/re-installing the app doesn't make a difference. On startup I get the Master Password input screen only. Team member MP fails, my MP opens all my vaults.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @minordv8,

Thank you for contacting us and giving us a chance to help! Please try to do the following on that PC:

1) Close 1Password if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select "Exit"
    2) Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    3) Rename "data" folder to "old-data"
    4) Open 1Password and proceed to signing into your teammate's 1Password account.

Let me know if it helps. You should be all set after that. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

• minordv8
    minordv8
    Community Member

This works for me. Thanks!

• minordv8
    minordv8
    Community Member

P.S. I would like to remove the device from my list of devices authorized to use my account just on the off chance that someone with access to this device gets a hold of my master password and account key. I took a look at my admin dashboard today and it appears that I can no longer de-authorize any devices for myself or any member of the team.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@minordv8: We have to make some changes before we can bring device de-authorization, but it is coming soon. I will make sure to keep you updated about it. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• MikeT
    edited March 2017

Hi @minordv8,

We've just shipped 1Password 6.4 right now and this is the first build that'll support the device de-authorization. We will update the web site soon to enable support for this.

• marepinta
    marepinta
    Community Member

How about this same scenario on a Mac? I was using a laptop as an admin and am now giving the laptop to a different team member. I want them to be able to log into their own 1Password account but it keeps asking for my master password and then I don't see a sign-out/log-out option.

• Hey there, @marepinta! You can find instructions to do the same on Mac here. Let us know if you have questions along the way! :chuffed:

• marepinta
    marepinta
    Community Member

This link tells me how to delete my information. This is not what I am after. I am still using my own admin account with team vaults on my personal PC, a work laptop, an ipad and my smartphone.

I purchased a new Macbook Pro for myself, have it set up and working correctly with my account. My previous Macbook I gave to another team member, who has their own team 1password account. Because of the software installations on this Macbook I do not want to wipe it completely clean and start with reinstall, which would allow me to restart with 1Password. Instead the new user is using the same "user" on the Macbook which used to be mine. I need to take off my 1password vault from that machine and let him log in using his own vault.

I thought possibly the de-authorization might work?

But the message above says you will have this on the website FAQs "soon" from March. I'm not finding anything. Can you point me to this process?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@marepinta: From your description, it sounds like the link Kate provided is what you need. I could see how the title might be a little misleading, but by following our Starting Over guide delete the 1Password data from your account. Instead, you'll just be removing it from your old MacBook. Once 1Password has been reset, your new team member can follow our Setup Guide to add their account.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you have any questions.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.