Extension will be outdated in Firefox 57 [version 4.6.9 extension is WebExtension compatible]

Options

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @binaranomaly. Unfortunately, we are not ready for e10s and it will be some time before we are able to fully embrace it. Per the Mozilla wiki, force-enable is not recommended unless you're specifically testing compatibility with e10s in Firefox. This usually applies to add-on developers and such. In any case, I'm glad you got it sorted out and things are working for you now.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Multiprocess in FF is just so much better than without that I'm rather willing to accept a few hickups here and there than having the really not state of the art non-multiprocess experience (it's like day and night).
    I hope agilebits finds a way to handle future updates better in multiprocess than the current cumbersome manual tinkering. Apart from that - password filling works for me, which is the most important functionality I need atm.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@binaranomaly The main stumbling block right now is that there are some APIs we use in 1Password's extension that won't get e10s compatible shims so we will have to use WebExtensions to get e10s compatibility. And the mechanism where the extension connects to 1Password has some limitations on WebExtensions and we'll need to move to a new mechanism in order to move to WebExtensions. It's a rough transition time right now, but we hope to be on the other side in the near future. I can't offer a timeline but it's something I'm actively working toward.

--
    Jamie Phelps

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Thanks for the info, great to hear you're already at it. I'm looking forward to it ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@binaranomaly: Likewise, thanks for your patience and willingness to share your experience with us!

@stevefal: Thanks so much for those details! That's helpful. I'm glad to hear it's working for you after updating, but be sure to reach out if you encounter any further trouble! :)

• MagerValp
    MagerValp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi team,
    e10s is rolled out to the general public now, and 1Password is the only extension I have that is still marked as incompatible with multiprocess. Is 1-Click bookmarks not working still the only known issue? Any news on the WebExtensions front? Thanks!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@MagerValp I believe the 1Click bookmarks is the only outstanding item, but I should caution that the way things work right now, this also is the same path used by open and fill from the 1Password main application. As for WebExtensions, we are making some progress, but it requires a new mechanism for its communication, which requires some alignment of resources across our extensions and platform apps teams.

We are slowly making progress on this new mechanism. The good news about it is that Chrome, Opera, and Firefox will all be able to benefit from this work. After that, moving to WebExtensions would be up next. I can't give anything firm on the timeframe because we've been bitten by that in the past, but I can say it's not coming before the new year.

I'm sorry I can't be more definitive about this right now, but please do know it's something we're actively working on and can't wait to get out to all our users in the new year.

--
    Jamie Phelps

• MagerValp
    MagerValp
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the update. I'm running with e10s force enabled, and it seems to be working well for me at least (I don't use 1Click).

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that ground truth, @MagerValp!

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Running with force since ever with no real issues during daily use. Maybe that 1click thing is overrated, at least I have no need for it and find it irritating that e10s is blocked because of 1Password because of this.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I definitely understand your frustration, @binaranomaly. Unfortunately I don't have more to offer at this time than what I mentioned above. I'm really working on it and working with our developers on the Mac and Windows teams to move it forward.

• damo
    damo
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @jxpx777,

Hope you had a great Christmas and New Years.

I really like that Agilebits allows developers to communicate with customers in such an open way.

I was wondering if there are any further updates on progress? The emergence of the webextensions framework must be exciting for developers that write browser extensions. The prospect of writing once and making it work across multiple browsers is very attractive I'm sure.

Damo.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@damo: Likewise, happy new year to you too! I hope your holidays were a finely-crafted mix of excitement and relaxation. hehe

Honestly, I think it's more a matter of AgileBits developers not being prohibited from communicating. We all love you and the rest of our awesome customers, and I think everyone benefits from a dialogue, rather than operating in a vacuum and hoping for the best. ;)

No news at this time, but the reason I'm writing this and not Jamie is that he and the rest of our extension team is hard at work on this (among other things). WebExtentions are definitely exciting. If only it wasn't so much work! But it'll be worth it in the end. Thanks for your encouragement! :chuffed:

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    Options

I have a question will 1Password standalone and 1Password Families be compatible with web extensions once it is done?

Basically means 1Password 4.x and 1Password 6.x

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ttim03,

The extension in many ways is separate from the 1Password application. So any changes like this which are internal to the browser should have no impact on using it with the existing applications. They will still converse using the same mode of communication and 1Password specific filling messages. It's why even now 1Password 4 for Mac still uses the same extension as 1Password 6 for Mac and the same is true on Windows. If we need to make a jarring change we will ensure there is still a valid version of the extension available for those that can't run the newer 1Password just like how the ageing 1Password 3 browser extension is still available.

Did that answer your question?

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    Options

Yes thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:smile:

• bl4ke
    bl4ke
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I just found that the 1password extension is still disabling e10s on Firefox (even with the last version 51 that activates e10s for everyone).
    Do you have some news about this development and the compatibility with webExtension/e10s ?
    Have to disable the 1password extension for the first time in years...

• LadyDascalie
    LadyDascalie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

Still no e10s support, this is beginning to be a real problem to me. I'd quite like to be able to use Firefox / the extension normally.
    Could we get some news as to when you would be ready to support it?

• MagerValp
    MagerValp
    Community Member
    Options

As noted above, the only functionality that appears to be affected is 1Click bookmarks, so if you don't mind losing that I think it's safe to force-enable. I've been running 1Password under e10s for a month now without any noticeable issues.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

An ETA for full support of e10s is not available at the moment. It will require significant changes to the extension and we need to ensure the pieces are in place before we can do so. As noted by MagerValp, if you desire you can force e10s on as long as you don't mind the loss of open and fill (which is behind 1Click bookmarks and why they too are affected). I apologise that I cannot offer anything more concrete yet.

• BitBat
    BitBat
    Community Member
    Options

What keeps you from just porting the Chrome version of the extension since Firefox supports the same API now. Are there specific APIs that are missing? Mozilla likes to hear about them. I can provide contact information here if wanted and allowed.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BitBat We are indeed looking at WebExtensions as a replacement for our current Add-on SDK based add-on. Our contacts at Mozilla have been very helpful in this regard as well. Unfortunately, there are a few items we have to do with the native apps before we can make that switch, so we can't plow ahead just yet. We're making some progress, but it will be a little while before the switch can be released.

• favadi
    favadi
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Maybe in the mean time we can have an immediately version of Firefox extension that has a setting to disable 1Click bookmark, Open and Fill and enable e10s?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @favadi,

I doubt that would help. Compatibility with e10s is a setting that has to be defined at build time. I believe only a version of the extension with open and fill completely removed would have the desired impact. While it does require altering Firefox's settings by hand the Force Enable option is probably the best bet for now.

• favadi
    favadi
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks, I force-enabled e10s and notice no problem so far.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @favadi! Glad it's working for you.

• bl4ke
    bl4ke
    Community Member
    Options

Any news concerning Firefox extension with webExtension/e10s update ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bl4ke: Nothing new to share within the past two weeks. ;)

• CSXJoe
    CSXJoe
    Community Member
    Options

Anyway to email people when update available

This discussion has been closed.