New Safari 5.1 extension displays inaccurate / unresponsive data [Caused by SIMBL]

Scrambled data in extension window.
My setup:

- Mac Pro tower running OS X Lion (10.7)
- Safari 5.1 (7534.48.3)
- 1Password Version 3.7.0 (build 31083)
- Safari Extension (beta) 3.7.b5

No matter what website I'm on, when I click the "1P" button in the toolbar, I get the same (incorrect/inaccurate) data displayed in the drop down ... non-responsive to any clicks in any part of the 1Password drop down menu.

I've attempted the following troubleshooting activities:

- quit and restarted Safari multiple times
- disabled/re-enabled javascript
- uninstalled and re-installed the extension
- logged-out of my machine and logged back in again

... nothing seems to have any impact.

Can you suggest any other actions I've not tried?

Here are some screenshots of what I'm seeing...

wellsfargo.com
http://cl.ly/3O3d2716280e0m443n2z

paypal.com
http://cl.ly/1Y3i3m3r0P1i031w3b0Z

AgileBits Support Forum
http://cl.ly/3w0O1N0E1S1O2F3p1U2a

Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• MacFrank
    MacFrank
    Community Member
    Same issue with me!
    Still not happy.
    Send an e-mail to support but no answer yet
  • MacClaus
    MacClaus
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    I don't have a problem with the new extension at the Agile login, but two small marks, where the cursor is:
    001.jpg 31.5K
  • JSamJr
    JSamJr
    Community Member
    Having the similar problems. Yesterday clicking the 1P menu button resulted in an empty window. Today after installing extension 3.7b7 I get a garbled, unresponsive window.
    OS X 10.6.8
    Safari 5.1 (6534.50)
    1Password extension 3.7.b7

Screen shot:
  • jbarnabasl
    jbarnabasl
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    I am having exactly the same problem (on the same set-up).

And have had no response to an email I sent requesting support several days ago!
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys,

Do you have Wondershare’s AllMyTube/Free YouTube Downloader extension installed in Safari 5.1? If you do, please try to remove it via the uninstaller that’s located in the Wondershare folder inside your Applications folder.

If not, please try to disable other extensions that might be in Safari 5.1 and see if that’ll fix the issue with the interface. If it does, try turning the extensions back on, one by one until you find the culprit.

Please share your reports with us as we’re trying to narrow down the culprits ourselves as well.
  • MacFrank
    MacFrank
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    Installed no extensions at all, still no luck!
    Delete, reinstall etc
  • 1P_User
    1P_User
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Hi guys,

Do you have Wondershare’s AllMyTube/Free YouTube Downloader extension installed in Safari 5.1? If you do, please try to remove it via the uninstaller that’s located in the Wondershare folder inside your Applications folder.

If not, please try to disable other extensions that might be in Safari 5.1 and see if that’ll fix the issue with the interface. If it does, try turning the extensions back on, one by one until you find the culprit.

Please share your reports with us as we’re trying to narrow down the culprits ourselves as well.

The only extension I've installed other than 1P is David Yoo's "Sessions" ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8247646/sessions/index.html ). I've tried disabling, uninstalling, restarting Safari, uninstalling 1P, reinstalling 1P... same result. There doesn't seem to be a relationship between 1P and that extension.
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    Thank you guys, we appreciate you taking the time to check.

Can you also look into the following folders and share the file names with us:

Home > Library > InputManagers

Home > Library > Internet Plug-Ins

MachintoshHD > Library >  Internet Plug-ins

The easiest way to gather those information is to open the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report, click on the blue icon to open it in Safari. After that, scroll down until you see:
    Summary > Installed Extensions

Copy the contents of the four folders for us.

Thanks again, guys!
  • 1P_User
    1P_User
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    Here's Mine...

/Library/InputManagers

1PasswdIM
    GearsEnabler

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

AdobePDFViewer.plugin
    DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin
    DYMO NPAPI Addin.plugin
    DYMO Safari Addin.bundle
    DYMO Safari Addin.plugin
    Flash Player.plugin
    flashplayer.xpt
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin
    iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
    JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
    nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    OVSHelper.plugin
    Quartz Composer.webplugin
    QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin
    SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin
    Silverlight.plugin

/Users/robb/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

WebEx.plugin
  • seelsorger
    seelsorger
    Community Member
    This was at the bottom of the Safari Version 5.1 (7534.48.3) using the 1 Password Version 3.7.1.BETA-2 (build 31087) I sure hope you get this bugger figured out. I am a novice, but have used this computer for a long while.
    file:///private/var/folders/lz/_j1r45xn46g82fw0_yjy7mz80000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A%20Document%20Being%20Saved%20By%201Password%202)/1PasswordBeta.safariextz
    file:///private/var/folders/lz/_j1r45xn46g82fw0_yjy7mz80000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A%20Document%20Being%20Saved%20By%201Password%202)/1PasswordBeta.safariextz
  • I wonder if you have any other extensions, especially extensions based on SIMBL or Scripting Additions installed?

We had a few reports about SafariSniffer (and a few other extensions) causing this problem.
  • dnedrow
    dnedrow
    Community Member
    The newest (3.7.b9) extension is really in bad shape. The popup is completely illegible on my system.

Lion 10.7
    Safari 5.1
    1Password 3.7.1
  • MacFrank
    MacFrank
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Thank you guys, we appreciate you taking the time to check.

Can you also look into the following folders and share the file names with us:

Home > Library > InputManagers

Home > Library > Internet Plug-Ins

MachintoshHD > Library >  Internet Plug-ins

The easiest way to gather those information is to open the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report, click on the blue icon to open it in Safari. After that, scroll down until you see:
    Summary > Installed Extensions

Copy the contents of the four folders for us.

Thanks again, guys!

Here is mine:

1Password Diagnostics Report for MacFrank

Generated: Tue Aug 02 09:36:19 +0200 2011

This information will be used by AgileBits to help resolve any issues you may have.

Configuration

Your OS X user account has an invalid shortname. Short names can only contain lowercase letters and an invalid shortname can cause many different problems with 1Password. Apple has a technote about how to change the shortname for your account.
    One or more 3rd-party SIMBL bundle is installed. These can interfere greatly with the proper behavior of the 1Password browser extensions. Please disable them if you are having any issues.
    Summary

1Password Version: 3.7.1 (build #31089)
    Mac OS X Version: 10.7 (11A511)
    Active Keychain Format: Agile Keychain
    Agile Keychain location: /Users/MacFrank/Dropbox/1PassWord/1Password.agilekeychain_folder
    Number of 1Password files: 404
    User MacFrank is in admin group
    Installed extensions:
    /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Flash Player.plugin
    flashplayer.xpt
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin
    Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin
    iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
    JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
    LogMeIn.plugin
    LogMeInSafari32.plugin
    LogMeInSafari64.plugin
    nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    Quartz Composer.webplugin
    QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    Silverlight.plugin

• MacFrank
    MacFrank
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    I found the solution, there was a SIMBL.
    SafariSniffle.bundle I removed to the desktop and everything is working!!!!!!
    Can I delete that bundle?

proven-solution-20110803-121213.png
    Edit by AgileBits: This is a proven solution. Many SIMBL plugins are not yet compatible with Lion and break Safari extensions.
  • This is all I get? I have no other Extensions, its 3.7.b9 with Safari 5.1 on Lion?

I've uninstalled, reinstalled............ loads of times?

anyone help.

onePass.png
  • Well as many I have problems with the latest version of 1P and the Safari extension. Since Lion I have seen 3 different 1P windows in Safari:

1 - At one time the window was just blank.

2 - Then the window showed a nice login icon and textfield, but the function was not working.

3 - And now I have a mess with scrambled text and icons not working at all (see attached).

I have not seen 1P working in Safari at all :(

I am running the latest version of everything.

Sad to see my favorite Mac app of all time turn into this mess. Just can't believe how bad it turned out, especially since I have always enjoyed your regular and worthwhile updates.

I hope it will return to the good old 1Password that I once liked and recommended too all Mac users.

Oh and please bring back right click option.... removing that was the single most stupid idea - sorry!
  • mcweb
    edited August 2011
    I am having the same issue and made a post about it... Sorry did not see you made a similar one before me.
  • Hello amjbarnesy and mcweb. Welcome to the Forums!

Hope you both don't mind, but I merged your topics with a similar thread discussing your issue.

Please review the previous posts for details regarding a possible conflict with SIMBLs.

As macfrank found, a particular SIMBL called SafariSniffer.bundle was the apparent conflict.

If you are interested, there has been discussion regarding this particular SIMBL in the Apple Support Forums: SafariSniffer Issues

It may be worth reviewing in case you are experiencing other issues in addition to the garbled 1P Safari UI popover.

Please let us know if this is the cause for your troubles. If not, please look for other potential conflicting extensions as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2011
    dnedrow wrote:

The newest (3.7.b9) extension is really in bad shape. The popup is completely illegible on my system.

Lion 10.7
    Safari 5.1
    1Password 3.7.1

Hi dnedrow,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is caused by using an extension that is not compatible with Lion, such as Wondershare AllMyTube. These issues can be resolved by removing the offending extension(s). They are generally found in /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

Thanks
    Ben
  • MikeT wrote:

Hi guys,

I have just removed AllMyTube as described and now the interface works as it should. I can unlock and no more destroyed text.
    Thanks.
  • MacClaus wrote:

I don't have a problem with the new extension at the Agile login, but two small marks, where the cursor is:

It seems that the content doesn't fit -- please try to scroll.
  • dnedrow
    dnedrow
    Community Member
    Ahhh. Thanks for the response.

-David
  • I hate the new extension. Too many problems. FORM OVER FUNCTION! It looks pretty, but functionality is far worse.
  • 1P_User
    1P_User
    Community Member
    roustem wrote:

I wonder if you have any other extensions, especially extensions based on SIMBL or Scripting Additions installed?

We had a few reports about SafariSniffer (and a few other extensions) causing this problem.

Yes! Removing SIMBL/SafariSniffer solved the issue for me. A tip for others impacted by this... in my case, the SIMBL/SafariSniffer plugin was residing in the top level "/Library" directory instead of my home directory "~/Library". Might be useful to check both places.

Thanks for tracking down this conflict. I'm pleased to be able to use 1P again. :-)
  • jbarnabasl
    jbarnabasl
    Community Member
    mcweb wrote:

I have just removed AllMyTube as described and now the interface works as it should. I can unlock and no more destroyed text.
    Thanks.

Same here. Many thanks.
  • dnedrow wrote:

Ahhh. Thanks for the response.

-David
    Hi David,

On behalf of Ben, you’re welcome.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

• jbarnabasl
    jbarnabasl
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Hi guys,

I've removed AllMyTube/Free YouTube Downloader and it seems to have cured the problem with the 1P popup. Thanks for the advice!
  • von
    von
    Community Member
    I had the same problem which got sorted. today I am unable to sign in at all with the IP button since Version 5.1 (7534.48.3) .
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    von wrote:

I had the same problem which got sorted. today I am unable to sign in at all with the IP button since Version 5.1 (7534.48.3) .
    HI Von,

Are you on Lion? If yes, please open Safari and then press “Command + Option + Q” to shut down Safari without saving its state. See if opening Safari again will help 1Password work better.

If not, can you tell us which versions of the 1Password app and the extension you’re using. You should be at 1Password 3.7.1 for the app and 3.7b10 for the extension. If you’re running older versions, please update them as soon as possible and see if it’ll work better.

Please let me know how it turns out.
This discussion has been closed.