Fields displayed on Apple Watch

Options
Wade_K
Wade_K
Community Member

Had a question on how the fields displayed on the Apple Watch are selected. I set up my debit cards using the Credit Card template, and when I add them to the watch, the fields displayed are number, expiry date, and verification. Seems to me (and I could be wrong) that something like the PIN would be more useful in real world use at an ATM. Is there any way, apart from putting the PIN in the verification code slot, to have different fields show? I tried editing an entry on the phone so that PIN displayed ahead of verification, but it didn't migrate to the watch.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2.1 WatchOS 3.1.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wade_K: Great question! The fields are hardcoded, so not all data will be stored on the watch. 1Password on the watch isn't able to work they way we're used to on our more capable devices, so we don't want to send everything there, both for security reasons, and frankly because if it displayed everything it would be a nightmare to navigate. So we've taken a conservative approach for both reasons.

I am a little confused about your example though, as I have Credit Card items on my watch with their PINs displayed. This is something we added back in version 5.5 in 2015. Are you maybe creating custom fields for the PIN for some reason? Custom fields are not sent to the watch in most cases, so using the default PIN field for your Credit Card items should work better for you. Let me know if that helps!

• Wade_K
    Wade_K
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. I did a test card just now, not changing the order of, or adding any custom fields, and the PIN does show on the watch. What I had done on prior entries was delete the PIN field from the Additional Details section, and created a PIN field further up in the first section ahead of Verification Number so that it would show on my phone without having to scroll, and since I never use a debit card as a credit card requiring verification number.

Just tried a second test card just adding a second PIN field in the 1st section for phone viewing purposes, and leaving the original PIN field further down, filling them both with the same number, and it shows on the watch just fine.

Third test entering PIN in original position, then just moving/sliding the field up to the first section also shows great on phone, and displays properly on watch.

I guess my original problem was deleting the field and making a new one, which failed even though it was named the same. Thanks for the insight.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wade_K: Thanks for letting me know. That makes sense, if you'd manually created the PIN field, since 1Password won't read those. Glad to hear you were able to recreate it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.