Setting an offline account

ofir
ofir
Community Member

Hi. i am an "old" IOS user of 1password.
I a am currently testing the trial ver. for windows and and Android.

I cant seem to create an offline vault.

I have installed the desktop app but it forces me to login to the online account i have created earlier.
i wand to setup a vault on my desktop and not online, and i want to sync it using my wifi and nothing else.

how can it be done ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ofir! On Windows we actually have two versions of 1Password available. 1Password 6 is for our subscription account customers, and only works with our subscription accounts. For working with an "offline vault", you need to use 1Password 4 instead, the latest version for our standalone licence customers.

You can download the latest version of 1Password 4 here (click the "Get 1Password 4 (standalone version)" link under the main "Download" button): https://1password.com/downloads/

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• ofir
    ofir
    Community Member

Hi- thank you for your quick respond...
    Up until this point, i thought- by reading about 1password- that the option to work offline is embedded in the latest software as one of its futures. i also saw (at ver 6+) there is an option to sync vaults by using WiFi (that means - offline) ... so.. why do i have to use an older inferior version of the software (ver 4) instead of the latest one- ver 6+ ? what am i missing ?

Also - regarding ver 4 (I'm hopping i won't have to use it eventually) - how do i sync the vault at my desktop with the vault at my android phone ?

which android APP (which ver.) will work in collaboration with the desktop software ver 4 ?

thanks

• Frank
    edited March 2017

Hi @ofir - On behalf of @john_m, you're very welcome. 1Password 6 is only compatible with our new 1Password memberships. 1Password 6 does not support local vaults or syncing via Dropbox or WLAN.

1Password 4 is only compatible with local vaults and you can use Dropbox to sync across devices. In order to use 1Password 4 and have it sync across to your Android phone, you have to use Dropbox as a sync source or set up WLAN. 1Password supports Android 5.0 and above.

why do i have to use an older inferior version of the software (ver 4) instead of the latest one- ver 6+ ? what am i missing ?

We don't recommend this and we believe our new 1Password memberships offer a better experience for our customers.

• ofir
    ofir
    Community Member

Hello Frank.
    I am trying to activate the sync option using the instructions you gave me

here are the inst as shown on your web site :-1:

Open and unlock 1Password.
    From the navigation drawer, tap Settings > Sync.
    Turn on Sync, then tap WLAN Server.
    Tap the name of your computer.
    Enter the secret code shown on your computer, then tap Start Sync.
    Enter your Master Password.

Your data will begin syncing.

I have selected WLAN server and followed the inst..... my app phone found my home pc and after selecting it , i was requested to enter a key . i used the "secret" key i got from my windows 1PASS software .... and then the APP on my phone just "hangs" with no respond...i have tried entering the key with and without spaces ... didn't work also.

Any thoughts ?

• ofir
    ofir
    Community Member

Hi again... i just found out it was a firewall problem. trying to work around it...

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@ofir - Happy you figured out what the issue is. Let us know if you need any additional information! :)

• ofir
    ofir
    Community Member

Hi again.

I turned off the firewall - and i was able to sync the desktop to my android phone.

the last issue I'm dealing with is ..... i want to install the desktop app on another computer (my laptop)
    1. how many license do i have to buy in order to sync 1 android phone to 2 computers ?
    2. is it possible to sync** 1** android phone to 2 computers (one at a time) ? does the software knows which update is the latest one , if - for example - i changed the same entry in my desktop and phone and then synced them - will the last one be saved on both devices ?

thanks

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@ofir - You can install your license on all the desktop devices you own, no problem at all. The basic version of 1Password for Android is free. Pro features require an in-app purchase though.

is it possible to sync** 1** android phone to 2 computers (one at a time) ? does the software knows which update is the latest one , if - for example - i changed the same entry in my desktop and phone and then synced them - will the last one be saved on both devices ?

That's not possible, I'm afraid. We've noted this in the help article regarding the WLAN Server:

The WLAN server can’t sync a mobile device to multiple computers.

I hope this information helps! :)

• ofir
    ofir
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

so...

1.I bought the android pro ver . do i need to buy the desktop (windows) ver as well ?

2.since the WLAN server can’t sync a mobile device to multiple computers - can i move the vault i created on my desktop to my laptop ? i rather place it there... so - should i just copy the vault file to the default location on my laptop (same as at the desktop) ?

3.when i sync between my desktop and my android phone , files that i have attached to passwords entries on my desktop don't seem to sync to my android, only the text that i entered - like - user name ... password ....url -- but not the files attached to it... why is that ?

thanks again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ofir: If you're using the standalone apps, you'll need to purchase a license for each platform you want to use. Apart from not having to deal with things like firewalls and server settings, this is a big reason why 1Password.com is a better options for most users.

You may be able to simply copy the vault between computers, but please be sure to backup your data regularly, especially if you're planning to copy the vault back and forth and also try to sync it from one computer to your mobile devices. WLAN Server maintains a sync state to prevent conflicts, so if you're manually interfering with this by moving data yourself that may cause unintentional consequences.

Regarding attachments, I'm not sure why you're not seeing it. Can you tell me what vault, item type, and file format you're using there? Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ofir: Ah I think I've got it. It sounds like you may already be using WLAN Server. Attachments don't work with that. I had thought you were transferring the data manually to your Android device since you mentioned wanting to do it between computers as well. Attachments will sync using any other method (1Password.com, Dropbox, or Folder Sync) though. I'm sorry for the confusion that may have caused.

• Bachsau
    Bachsau
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

In other words: In the long run we will have to look for alternatives to 1Password because the app becomes fragmented and more crappy with every update. The only thing the new 1Password memberships offer is more money for AgileBits. As if 1Password had not been expensive enough before.

• peri
    edited November 2017

I'm not quite sure I understand you, @Bachsau. We never released an update on Android that removed attachments. Rather, support for attachments wasn't included when we first added WLAN server sync. Attachments are and have always been supported with Dropbox syncing, though, so you're welcome to use that solution if you prefer.

That said, there are quite a few benefits to memberships. One of the benefits is that we control the sync service, so we're better able to diagnose any errors. Unlike with WLAN server sync, which has so many moving parts that can be impossible for us to troubleshoot (router issues, antivirus software, proxies and VPNs etc.), a 1Password account has seamless sync, and we're easily able to diagnose and fix any issues that may arise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In other words: In the long run we will have to look for alternatives to 1Password because the app becomes fragmented and more crappy with every update.

@Bachsau: Can you give an example? This isn't something we've changed in an update, so I'm not sure we're not the same page there. ;)

The only thing the new 1Password memberships offer is more money for AgileBits. As if 1Password had not been expensive enough before.

Yup! We get paid for our work and 1Password.com members get all of the apps and every new feature we roll out. Seems fair to me, but if you don't think the value is right for you you can continue using the version(s) you paid for already.

For the Horde! :naughty:

• 2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

• Hi @2e9rhj2389hfnduafsdn. I'm not sure if you meant to post something here or not. We're here if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.