Suggestion: Allow items to be shared, not move/copy.

mgman
mgman
Community Member

Any plans to allow items to be shared, not move/copy, across multiple vaults, think vaults behaving like labels and get rid of move/copy?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Allow items to be shared, not move/copy, across multiple vaults, think vaults behaving line labels and get rid of move/copy.

Comments

• Hi @mgman - Thank you for contacting us and we appreciate the feature request. It's definitely an interesting idea! We don't have any current plans to add 'sharing' as an option but I will make sure to share your feedback and feature request with the team. We appreciate you taking the time to email us and share a feature that is important to you. Please feel free to contact us anytime, we're always happy to listen. Have a fantastic day!

• mgman
    mgman
    Community Member

Thanks @Frank_AG - So I left out the real question... Is there a way to "share" an item with multiple teams? Tried to share a copy and it doesn't seem to update any changes to/from the copy. Thanks.

• Hi @mgman - Just to clarify, are you looking to share an item with another 1Password Teams account? Sorry just trying to get a better understanding. Look forward to hearing back from you.

• mgman
    mgman
    Community Member

@Frank_AG Here is the scenario I am looking to execute: I have a group of designers that need access to an item, so I created a vault called designer and placed it there and gave a group called designers access to the vault. Now I need a subset of users in another group called researchers to the one item, not all of the items in the designer vault. How can I make that happen without making a copy of the item in two separate vaults, where the copies do not sync changes? Let me know if there is another way to achieve this? Thanks.

• @mgman At the moment, that item would need to be in its own vault, and that vault shared with both groups. Then the changes would sync. I know that one item in a vault is a bit strange, so we are working on a better solution for the future. Thanks for letting us know you're interested. :)

• quickdraw6906
    quickdraw6906
    Community Member

Any way to narrow down the timeline on a solution? We're considering a move from LastPass (100's of credentials, 50 users now, could be many more if we offer a vault for each of our customers). But there is concern that copying credentials out to a couple dozen vaults will create a password rotation cost that is too high. Having one item per vault would solve the problem. But why then have vaults as lowest order sharing unit? The items themselves should be shareable. Why not allow both? Aside: Keeper security has the ability to sym-link items. They have, however, other deficiencies in this vein I won't go into.

• @quickdraw6906 As I mentioned in the other thread, this isn't a common request so it's not something we're currently working on. It'd also be complex to build, since encryption keys for the item would have to be common across vaults. I agree that having this and the ability to send items would be great, but we don't share timelines on things publicly as that can lead to the wrong expectations. Thank you for the feedback here, all the same.

This discussion has been closed.