To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need Primary Vault?

Options
RPM
RPM
Community Member

Entered new subscription, but got lost in setup process.
Bottom line: I now have duplicates of all data. Can I simply delete the old Primary Vault, keeping the new Personal Vault?

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RPM - Thanks for your question! Yes, once all items have been moved from the Primary to the Personal vault, you can delete the Primary vault. You won't need it anymore. The easiest way to remove the Primary vault is to open the Preferences in 1Password and then navigate to the Advanced Tab. Uncheck the option to 'Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts'. Follow the instructions to remove the Primary vault.

I hope this helps! :)

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt reply, Roman. New problem: Amid the flurry of subscription instructions I seem to have forgotten where/how I logged my new "Master Password", needed to delete a vault. Also, I have two different "keys," dated 2/27/17 and 3/1/17, respectively. Where do I go from here?

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @RPM !

Great question! :)

If you forget the Master Password to your 1Password Account, then I would recommend checking out this knowledgebase article for some tips and tricks on how you may be able to recover it: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Hopefully, that helps, but if you are still unable to figure out your Master Password, then please send us an e-mail so we can help you with deleting your account so you can start over. Here is a link to contact us: https://support.1password.com/contact/

In regards to your second question, I just would like to clarify what you mean by "keys." Are you referring to two different Account Keys? Thanks!

I look forward to reading your reply, and have a great rest of your day! :)

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

I said "Master Password" when I should have said "Account Password" -- I want to delete my old Primary Vault.

Yes, "keys" refers to two different account keys created when I subscribed.

Also (and this may be a totally separate issue): When I first booted up this morning, 1P asked for my Master Password, as usual. But now I've noticed that if I quit 1P and re-open, no password is requested, 1P just opens. Normal?

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, @RPM !

"Primary" vaults are actually vaults that are not associated with your 1Password account. They are also sometimes referenced as "standalone vaults." Generally, vaults within a 1Password account are called "Personal" or "Shared." They may also have custom names, but those are the most common names, as they are the default ones.

Are you currently signed into your 1Password account on the 1Password app?

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

Apparently, yes.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @RPM - As @Roman mentioned previously, once you have migrated your existing data over to your Personal vault you can then delete your Primary vault.

I would recommend backing everything up first -

Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac > Click File in the menu bar > Select Backup from the drop down menu then click Backup Now.

After the backup has been completed you can then delete your Primary vault following the steps below:

Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac > Click 1Password in the menu bar > Select "Switch to Vault" and choose Primary from the list > Click 1Password in the menu bar and select "Delete Vault" from the drop down list. You will have to enter your "original" master password before you can delete the vault (the password you were using prior to signing up for the 1Password.com account).

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions :-)

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

There seems to be another step when I try to follow these instructions, Frank. When I click "Delete Vault..." a message appears asking me to enter my Master Password. When I do, another message appears asking for my "account password," and adding "This password will become your new Master Password, and you will use it to unlock 1Password from now on." What am I supposed to enter for "account password"?

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

...And what is the purpose of the "secret Account Key" you sent when I subscribed?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @RPM - Yes, once you click "Delete Vault" 1Password is asking first for the "original" Master Password used prior to signing up for a 1Password.com account then you will enter the new Master Password you created when you signed up for the 1Password.com account. Sorry for the confusion there...

Your Secret Key is used to encrypt your data in conjunction with your Master Password. The Secret Key is only known by you and is randomly created during the sign up process. You can read a little more about the Secret Key and how it's used to protect you and your data - https://support.1password.com/secret-key-security/

Let me know if you have any further questions :-)

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

The "original" Master Password seems to be opening 1Password with both vaults available, Frank. Unfortunately, I can't recall creating a "new" Master Password for the account.

=======

Yes, it's confusing. There’s an axiom in the management world that goes, “Traffic signs are designed by people who already know where they’re going.” In other words, instructions regarding product updates and/or other fixes need to be carefully tested on subjects who are largely ignorant of the issues, in order to ensure clarity and effectiveness.

It doesn’t appear to me that such a test was rigorously applied regarding AB's subscription offering. Too many terms with similar meanings but overlapping names, too many items with the same name (e.g, “key”, "Master Password"), too many changeover steps blasted out all at once, as opposed to a more cautious step 1, double-check, step 2, double-check, etc.

And now is your opportunity to reply with “Gee, Ron, no one else has experienced any problems.” I hear that a lot.

=======

Fortunately, 1P seems to be working for me, at least on my desktop. God only knows what's going on with other devices; I'm afraid to look, lest I screw up and lose the program entirely.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @RPM - Sorry for the confusion and maybe I misunderstood you originally so I apologize. When you signed up for the 1Password.com account online, did you use the same master password you were originally using to unlock the apps? If so, the same master password should work when trying to delete your Primary vault. If not, keep me posted.

I appreciate the constructive feedback. I would never say that to you :-) When I signed up for 1Password Families (before I started working here) I created a new master password separate from the one that unlocked the apps. So I thought you were running into the same issue I went through myself. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us as it helps to show us where we can improve and make the experience better :+1:

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

The fact that I don't remember creating a new Master Password leads me to believe I re-used the old one. Trouble is, the old one isn't working in the second dialog box asking for an "account password."

• Frank
    Options

Hi RPM - I just sent you over an email so we can continue the conversation over there. I don't want to run into sharing any private information here so I thought it be best to move the discussion over to email. I look forward to hearing back from you :-)

ref: JZG-76177-567

This discussion has been closed.