Feature Request: Expanding on Custom Templates

MrCoBalt
MrCoBalt
Community Member

Hi there, we are looking to consolidate more of our client support documentation into our existing 1P records and while tagging, and naming conventions, and such gets us part of the way there (at least for basic organization purposes) I have also been investigating the beta Templates feature.

Custom Templates definitely looks right up our alley in terms of adding our custom/required documentation fields, especially once support for it rolls out to the Mac/PC/mobile apps.

However currently it appears that the Login category (which obviously we lean the most heavily on due to browser auto-fill/auto-save features) is locked down and unable to be duplicated like most of the other categories. I can understand the reasoning behind this since Login has to have the various form-filling logic, etc associated with it, however I'm hoping the following could be added to the roadmap if at all possible?

• Ability to duplicate the Login template so as to add additional default fields in the record.

For example, we would love something like a "Login (Router)" category that maintains the exact same structure as the default Login record, but we could add in all our custom fields for things like Hardware Model, Serial Number, Location, LAN/WAN MAC, etc etc

• Ability to change the category of an existing Login over to another custom-templated Login format after the initial record as been saved.

I know that completely switching Categories ie. between the Login and the Server category, is not possible since the fields are totally different, however taking the example above if we could stay within the "same" base-level category (Login) but then convert the record to another Login-based template it would be ideal

Let's say we have a basic Login record that was originally saved in-browser for a web-based Router login; if we could select that existing record and change it to our custom "Login (Router)" template it would ideally maintain the exact same default Login fields and form-filling logic (so as to not break anything), but also gain all of our custom-set default fields waiting to be filled out.

Thank for the great product, really hope this sort of stuff might be possible as the Templates feature matures!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Meek
    edited March 2017

Hey @MrCoBalt,

Thank you so much for the thorough feedback! We really appreciate hearing what you'd like to see.

You're absolutely right - the reason that the "Login" item template is not editable is due to the fact that it is a special type with filling capabilities. That said, I could definitely see the ability to duplicate it being useful, as you've outlined in your example.

Converting an item to a different type - even to a similar item type - would be a bit tricky. We'd need to keep track of the "base" item type, and only allow you to add/edit fields that are not required for the filling ability. We don't currently have this concept of a base type, so that would be a bit of a bigger change. I can definitely see the benefits, however.

While I can't make any promises, we're excited to see where we can take custom templates in the future! Thanks again for your feedback and let us know if you think of anything else you'd like to see!

• orangevan
    orangevan
    Community Member

Yes this sounds like a great idea. Either this, and/ the ability to add the web form fillable's after the fact to an existing item. A merge so to speak. We have many items in 1Pass that are web based items, but were created without that component, so if we could then say, go to the website and enter the login, and when 1P asks to save it, have the option to select an existing record to merge into, that would be awesome. Perhaps a method to accomplish the above.

• MrCoBalt
    MrCoBalt
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply @Meek, hopefully this sort of thing can make it on the roadmap.

For the conversion between Login-based Templates (or the creation of custom ones) I would think only the username, password, and the (generally hidden) web form fields would need to be "locked" when converting, but yeah I can see the edge cases and such where it could present issues going between one Category and another of even the same basic type.

Maybe as a workaround, and somewhat like the merge option @orangevan mention above, there could just be an "Apply Template Fields" choice of some kind, which wouldn't actually convert a record as such, but simply append –in one go– all the custom fields from another template while leaving the "default" fields and their contents intact… This would get around any issues of converting but still let us take a bunch of existing Login records and say: This should have all the extra fields/tags from our "Login (WAP)" template; This should have the "Login (Router)" fields/tags, Etc Etc.

Just think out loud as it were :smile:

• Thanks for the suggestions @orangevan and @MrCoBalt! These are great ideas :)

This discussion has been closed.