To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Suggestion: Archive old accounts

ionpattern
ionpattern
Community Member

I'd like to suggest an option in between a current saved account and one that's in the trash: an archived account.

There are many times when I want or need to move on from a particular account. Say I move and need to change banks, or I get a new credit card. In some cases I'd really like to save the past account information. It's mostly for my peace of mind, but also because, handling an estate recently, I know how nice it can be to have everything organized.

I know I can simply add a new bank account or credit card, but at this point my list of currents is getting large enough that it's cumbersome to scroll through them at times. An "archived" tag would help immensely. I would imagine it could work as a view option (View -> Show/Hide Archived), but I'm sure there are plenty of good ways it could be implemented.

Thank you for reading.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ionpattern! I'll be happy to help you out here :chuffed:

I know exactly what you're talking about; I personally have a lot of old items (especially software licences), that I don't really use any more, but I don't necessarily want to throw the details away either. Luckily, 1Password has some great features that can help to clear up the clutter, without having to throw anything away either!

What I did was I created a new "Archive" vault (you can create new vaults in the web interface for a subscription account). Any items that were related to old things I didn't use or actively need any more, I moved into the "Archive" vault. I then configured 1Password on my Mac and iPhone not to include "Archive" in the "All Vaults" list. That way, items in the Archive vault don't show up for me when I'm using 1Password for my daily tasks, but if I ever need any of them, all I have to do is switch to the Archive vault, and there they are, safely waiting for me! You can configure which vaults are included in "All Vaults" in 1Password's preferences on a Mac, and in Settings -> Vaults -> All Vaults.

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• ionpattern
    ionpattern
    Community Member

Thank you for the note. I'm glad to know there is a way to do it. I'd still love to have an easier method that doesn't require setting up a new vault and remembering how to switch to it. A simple in-app view change would be amazing.

I do hope you are still developing for 1Password and, if so, will consider this.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@ionpattern No problem, glad I could help! I'll pass on your feedback to our development team for future consideration :chuffed:

• nm1
    nm1
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

I would like to second the request for an "archive" feature in a future release of 1Password for Families/Teams. Though creating an "Archive" vault and moving items into it is a workaround, the solution breaks when you have items to move into your Archive vault that have linked/related documents attached to them. (I imagine this applies to linked/related vault entries that are logins, passwords, etc., but I have only tried this with documents.) Similarly, in the event I want to un-archive such an item (with a linked/related document), the link/related document won't automatically re-attach when moved back into the original vault, nor will it be transferred back along with the item I'm un-archiving. Put simply, the use of an "Archive" vault is a temporary fix but it's too cumbersome to qualify as a solution for this need.

Assuming that no solution will satisfy all needs, here are some ideas for future development, in no particular order:

1. Archiving within vault, which essentially hides a given item from view when searching in-browser or in 1P-mini. (Note: I know this feature is available by adjusting the item's settings, but I suggest the adjustment-setting be made officially into an "archive" feature that can be applied to vault items en masse, with a keyboard shortcut, through the context menu, etc.
    2. Versioning within vault, which might be a predecessor feature to the "archiving within vault" suggested above. The primary use case for this, in my view, is for login items, credit cards, and secure notes. For login items, versioning would provide an audit trail of sorts to show the history of password changes (particularly useful on a site that doesn't allow reuse of a previous password and for someone who does not use the password generator). For credit cards, versioning would be a good way to keep track of your previous card number without having to create a new credit-card item when your card is replaced, etc. Having old credit card numbers can be especially useful when having to lookup an old purchase, prove payment or exercise a warranty, etc. And for secure notes, the benefit of versioning is obvious, but probably not a feature that most 1P users would use straight away.
    3. Archiving entire vault, which makes the vault accessible only through the 1P web interface (and requires "un-archiving" to become accessible through the 1P app/1P-mini). This reduces what can become "clutter" when, in managing a team or a family, one has created multiple vaults for different levels of sharing applicable to different people. Let's say I want to share a couple of passwords with my in-laws while they're visiting for a couple of weeks, which I do through a shared vault to which I give them access. Their access is going to be limited to the time they're staying with us, so I'll copy (rather than move) the items I want to share with them into the shared vault. Great. Now they leave and I don't need that vault again until next year when they come back for their annual visit. If I were able to archive that vault for the year or so rather than hide its entries from search view, I would prefer that option because the fewer unnecessary vaults in my app view, the better! But the point is that deleting the vault entirely, while getting the shared vault out of my way, doesn't adequately address the use case where I want to have a shared vault with other people (guests, even) but which I will only share with them from time to time.

Hope those recommendations are helpful, and thank you SO MUCH to the folks at AgileBits for creating and maintaining the best password manager around!

• Hi @nm1 - Wow, thank you so much for sharing your detailed feature request with us. Also we really appreciate the kind words and support. It's customers like you that make my job so amazing to do every single day! It's great to see how passionate you are and thank you for taking the time to share your suggestions with us. I apologize for not having a better answer to your feedback at the moment but I did share it with my team. Thank you again for reaching out to us and sharing your thoughts. Just know we're always happy to listen and the door is always open :-)

This discussion has been closed.