To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can I delete the old primary vault after I have moved to new 1password account

Options
jdbartram
jdbartram
Community Member

I set up the 1password account on my iMac and it gave me a chance to delete the old primary vault which I did. I found a way in settings for my iPhone and iPad to delete the primary vault, however, I can't figure out how to delete the old primary vault in my MacBook Pro so that there is only one vault - the Personal one for my iPassword account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:delete old primary vault after setting up 1password account

Comments

• Hi @jdbartram,

If you go into Preferences > Advanced, near the bottom it should have a checkbox labeled "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." Unchecking this should guide you through the process of removing the Primary vault. If the checkbox is disabled, it should include instructions for what you would need to do in order to enable it (for example if you have multiple vaults you need to delete the others first).

Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• jdbartram
    jdbartram
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much! Unchecking that box allowed me to delete the Primary vault.

Dave

• That's great to hear. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Patrick Waugh I'll be happy to help you out :chuffed:

When you have multiple local vaults on a device, the keys used to decrypt them are chained together; this is what lets you unlock the app and all vaults by entering in the master password of the "Primary" vault. Because of this, all other local vaults must be deleted before the "Primary" vault. This is reason behind the "You have several vaults outside of your 1Password accounts. They must be deleted before you can disable this feature." message.

Deleting local vaults on a Mac is easy to do:

1. Click on the vault switcher in the top left corner of the main 1Password window
    2. You'll get a list of all of the vaults 1Password knows about, local and account based. The local vaults are at the top of the list. Click on a non-Primary local vault to switch to it
    3. Click on the 1Password menu at the top of your Mac's screen and choose "Delete Vault...", then follow the on-screen directions

Once you're down to the final "Primary" local vault, you can use @rickfillion's instructions above to remove that as well, which will then switch your Mac over to running directly from your subscription account.

Hope that helps! :chuffed:

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Patrick Waugh - Thank you for getting back to us and we appreciate the constructive feedback. I can understand where you're coming from and you definitely raise some good points. We're working to improve and make our 1Password memberships a rock solid experience for our customers. There are some rough edges and we're working on it. We're happy you love using 1Password so much that you took the time to share your experience with us. It's very much appreciated and we hear you :-)

I'm happy you sent over your thoughts and suggestions. It definitely helps and shows us where we can make improvements. Thank you again and please always feel free to contact us and your share feedback. Our door is always open and we're always happy to listen :+1:

This discussion has been closed.