To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Which account would be best to use with multiple Apple devices running off different Apple IDs?

Options
sinnarko
sinnarko
Community Member

I set up a team site yesterday, thinking I would test 1Password out for my personal accounts and then decide whether or not to scale up to include my team at work.

For now, I want to be able to run 1Password on my personal iMac at home and on my MacBook Air at work. The two computers are connected to different Apple accounts (an attempt at retaining some healthy separation between personal and work life), but reading through the forum made it sound like the 1Password desktop app won't let me sign into the same account from the two computers. Is that correct?

Similarly, I read through the Syncing using Dropbox option (https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/), but again it says that you need to be using a single Dropbox account on both devices (which I am not).

So, my question is multifaceted:
1. Is there a way to get the 1Password to work on both my Apple devices if they are tied to different Apple IDs?
2. If so, how can I go about switching the account type I chose (team account) to a personal account?
3. If the 1Password app won't work across multiple Apple devices registered under different IDs, do I need to purchase separate accounts for each computer, or is there another way for me to make that work? (Would the family plan be appropriate here?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5 and OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @sinnarko - Thank you for reaching out to us and I'll do my best to address your questions below :-)

Is there a way to get the 1Password to work on both my Apple devices if they are tied to different Apple IDs?

It depends, yes, you can use 1Password on two separate Apple devices. If you use iCloud sync this would require two separate iCloud accounts. The issue would also be syncing to the desktop unless you create two separate Mac user accounts. I wouldn't recommend this set up.

If so, how can I go about switching the account type I chose (team account) to a personal account?

We can email you over instructions on how to convert the Teams account over to an Individual account if that's what you prefer to use.

If the 1Password app won't work across multiple Apple devices registered under different IDs, do I need to purchase separate accounts for each computer, or is there another way for me to make that work? (Would the family plan be appropriate here?)

To be honest, I would recommend using your current 1Password.com account. You have the ability to create multiple vaults if you want to separate work and personal. For instance, I have a Personal vault then I also created a "work" vault where I added any work related items so they don't show up in my Personal vault. Also with our 1Password.com accounts, we take care of all the syncing on our end so you don't have to manage a sync method using iCloud or Dropbox. As long as you're signed into the account on your devices, anytime you add a new item to your Personal vault, the changes will auto-sync across your device(s) and via the web. I would recommend for your use case to continue using your Teams account and if you want to convert it over to an Individual account, let us know and we'll be happy to help out. :+1:

• sinnarko
    sinnarko
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information, @Frank. I resolved the trouble I was having accessing my account from my work computer by going to the app and then Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data and resetting everything.

I'll hang on to my teams account for now and let you know if I'd like to switch over to personal in the future. Thanks!

• Jacob
    Options

On behalf of Frank, you're welcome :) Glad to hear you got things rolling again! Let us know if you have some other questions, and enjoy 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.