To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrating to 1password.com and updating my apps has duplicated everything in my vault

Options
buzzmo
buzzmo
Community Member

I just moved to a 1password.com account. Setting it up on my iOS devices went fine, but I just set up on my Mac and now every single item in my vault has been duplicated. I see this on all my devices and 1password.com. I was using version 6.5.2 of the macOS app at the time, and have since upgraded to 6.5.3. I had it delete my old vault as per the dialog prompts, and then it did some sort of sync that, at the time, did not seem to indicate that it was going to migrate every single entry a second time, but it looks like that's what happened.

What do I do? Is there any way besides manually deleting the dupes to solve this?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.1
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @buzzmo,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

It sounds like you copied the items from your local vault into your 1Password account — which is good – but you still have the items in your local vault. This can lead to confusion if you are viewing all the items in all your vaults at once.

This article explains how to use All Vaults to see all your items at once, but it also explains how to switch to a specific vault. To switch to a specific vault, click image All Vaults and choose a vault. Or choose 1Password > Switch to Vault (Command-1 to Command-9).

Then you can make sure that what you are expecting to see in each vault is correct, and you can either delete the items in a specific vault or even delete the entire vault if you want to just delete your Primary vault (presuming all your data is safely in the Personal vault in your 1Password account). To delete a vault, switch to it, then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

• buzzmo
    buzzmo
    Community Member
    Options

My 1Password app does not have an "All Vaults" menu item in the left nav pane, and in the prefs the only vaults that exist are "My Name" > "Personal".

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buzzmo,

It sounds like perhaps you only have a single vault. In that case, I'm not sure where the duplicates would be coming from. If all the duplicates are in a single vault, the only way to resolve it is to delete them one by one, but you may be able to speed things up by looking in Duplicate Passwords under Security Audit on the left.

• buzzmo
    buzzmo
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I feel very confident that the process of adding my 1Password.com account to my macOS 1Password install caused this, as there was a point where it was "updating" my account based on the contents of my local vault. You guys might want to take a another look at that process.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buzzmo,

One way in which the migration process (from a local vault to a vault in your 1Password account) can go awry is if the migration is done more than once. For example, some folks have multiple Macs and think they need to do it on each one. But if you copy the items twice, then there will be two copies of them. Same goes if you performed the migration on an iOS device already, and then performed it again on your Mac — creating a second copy of everything.

We're looking at ways to make this clearer and improve the process. I'm sorry if that's what tripped you up.

Please do let me know if you need any further assistance, though. We are always here to help!

• buzzmo
    buzzmo
    Community Member
    Options

Understood. FYI, I only migrated one Mac.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buzzmo,

Did you also migrate on an iOS device? If so, that would explain it. If not, I'm just wondering how the duplicates might have been created. We've never seen anything like that happen except when the migration was performed on more than one device, but if there's a bug, we'd love to get it fixed. :)

• buzzmo
    buzzmo
    Community Member
    Options

I had migrated two iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) days before without incident.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buzzmo,

Ah, yep. That would explain it then. As I mentioned, you only need to do it on one computer or one phone. I would love to see a safeguard that would somehow detect if the items about to be migrated already exist in your 1Password account vault. I'm not sure the technical limitations there. I'll leave that to the devs.

For now, you'll need to manually remove the duplicates as I mentioned above. :frown:

Do let me know if anything else comes up, though. I'd be happy to offer further assistance. :+1:

• ccompton
    ccompton
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, Khad, we'd like to see a safeguard, too. It tripped us up >_< , and now I have over 3000(!) duplicates. :'( Sending you a message.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @ccompton - Sorry for the troubles. When you send us over an email, can you also include a Diagnostics Report so we can take a closer look? I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• ccompton
    ccompton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Frank. Got it sorted so all good here. Thanks.

• Frank
    Options

Fantastic news! Thank you for letting me know @ccompton and I love the adorable puppy in your avatar :blush:

Let us know if you have any further questions, we'll be happy to help out.

This discussion has been closed.