To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master password for app doesn't work on my.1password.com

emendelson
emendelson
Community Member

I've been using 1Password on macOS and Windows for years, and I know my master password and use it every day.

Six months ago I seem to have signed up for a trial account at my.1password.com, and I have my account key. I got a notice that the account was about to expire, so I tried to log in. My e-mail was accepted; my account key got a green checkmark next to it; but the master password that I use on the app was rejected by the site.

Probably I created a different master password for the account, and I don't have a record of it. Is there any way to recover it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @emendelson - We appreciate the support over the years and thank you for giving our new 1Password memberships a test drive. I was able to locate your account. We don't store account keys or master passwords since it would compromise the security of our users. We don't want anyone to have access to the keys to your account, including us, therefore we can't reset this if lost or forgotten.

Since you didn't get a chance to add any data to the account, I could send you over a link that will give you the ability to delete it then re-create a new one using the same email address. You will also start with a brand new 30 day trial :-) Let me know if this works for you then I'll send it right over :+1:

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member

Hi Frank,

That works for me! Thank you!

• Hi @emendelson - Fantastic! Thank you for confirming. I just sent you over a special link that will give you the ability to delete the account. You can sign up for a new account using the same email address. As I mentioned before, you will have a new 30 day trial giving you time to get everything set up with the new account. When you create the new account, make sure you print out your Emergency Kit. This contains your Secret Key and a space to write in your Master Password. Let me know if you have any questions and we'll be happy to assist.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member

That worked! Thank you, Frank!

• On behalf of Frank, you're welcome :) Let us know if you have some other questions down the road.

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

Hi there, same problem here.
    What is weird is that I remember having the same issue a few months ago, but managed at the time to finally log in into my account and check my billing informations. I cannot remember how.
    And today I'm hitting a brick wall, it says that the account key and master password don't match with the email address. I checked all the log in informations which are definitely correct.
    I could gladly use some help.
    Cheers

A happy customer and admirer of your work.

• rmmjr58
    rmmjr58
    Community Member

Same situation....I wanted to add credit card, forgot master password, tried to access my phone, the fingerprint option no longer working, please help.

• Hey @valentincoindreau and @rmmjr58,

I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Passwords! As Frank mentioned, we don't have any way to recover Master Passwords if they are forgotten. Have a read through this article with tips that might help you recover it:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If you're still not able to sign in, I'm sorry to say that the only other option would be to delete your account so you can sign up again.

Let us know if you'd like us to do that and we'll send you an email with further instructions.

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

Hi @Meek,
    Again, I did not forget my master password, which works perfectly on my laptop and smartphone. I enter my email address, my account key and my master password, verified these informations several times (copied and pasted them from my desktop app), but it keeps saying that they do not match.

• Hey @valentincoindreau,

Thanks for the clarification and sorry about that! Were you by any chance using 1Password before signing up for a 1Password account? If so, then it is possible that you chose a different Master Password for your 1Password account. This wouldn't change the password that you use to unlock the 1Password apps (as they had already been set up with a different Master Password). Is that a possibility?

Also, make sure that you are signing in on the correct domain. For individual accounts, you'll want to sign into https://my.1Password.com.

I hope that helps!

• valentincoindreau
    valentincoindreau
    Community Member

Hey you're right, I was on the wrong domain, now it works.
    Thanks a lot !
    Have a nice day

• Woohoo! Glad to hear that was it @valentincoindreau! You're most welcome. Have a nice day as well!

• KKRP
    KKRP
    Community Member

@Frank could you provide me with the link to delete my account?

• KKRP
    KKRP
    Community Member

@Frank could you provide me with the link to delete my account? i have forgotten my master password.

• KKRP
    KKRP
    Community Member

@Frank could you provide me with the special link to delete my

This discussion has been closed.