Family vaults should have the same level of permissions granularity as Teams

morps
morps
Community Member

Hi there,

I just created a shared Vault for each of my kids. Both my wife and I have access to these shared Vaults as well. I have moved the kids' appropriate school passwords and other items to these Vaults. However, I just discovered that I do not have the same user permissions granularity as in Teams. Specifically, I don't want the kids to be able to delete an item, let alone a Vault. But I do want them to have Read/Write to each item -- as well as the ability to add new items.

Without this level of control, I think I am now forced to duplicate each item and keep each item in a backup Vault to protect from the chance they accidentally delete something. I don't think my use case is too a-typical. I want to encourage my kids to have good security practices. But I also don't want them to delete stuff on accident. If there is a better approach to what I am trying to accomplish, I'd sure appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @morps,

Deleted items will go to the trash. They are not lost immediately. In the case of an accidental deletion you can recover from the trash. No need to keep a whole separate backup vault. :)

Ben

• morps
    morps
    Community Member

Hi Ben. Yes, I am familiar with that. However, isn't it still possible for a user with R/W permissions to delete trash? Granted, that may be enough to "protect" me, but it would sure be a heck of a lot easier/safer/better if I could just tick a box and which indicates they can't delete items. Especially since that capability is in the product -- admittedly in a different version targeting a different user segment.

I'd just ask you to please reconsider this request. I don't think it's unreasonable. Thanks again.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @morps

Thank yo for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password Families. I think it would be hard for a one of your kids to completely delete the data, however you have an interesting point about it. In general we think that most of the details would be even a bit overwhelming on most families, but we could add just a couple more key ones. Anyway, while I can't tell you whether if or when these changes would take place in 1Password Families we can for sure consider it :chuffed:

• morps
    morps
    Community Member

Hi Pilar. Thanks for the reply and consideration.

• On behalf of Pilar, you're welcome. We're here if you need anything else. :)

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member

I 2nd the request as this would benefit our family situation also. Thank you.

• Thanks for the feedback, @Dr_Agileup77!

Ben

• c224
    c224
    Community Member

I'd like to say I'm very interested to see this option for Families added as well. Thanks.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @kvnhe! :chuffed:

• areese
    areese
    Community Member

Chiming in that I would also appreciate increased family options - for example, my wife and I are part of my family's family account. We would like to have a vault shared between only us (or, worst case, the two of us and my dad, the family administrator). Right now it is just me, or everyone, with no in-between options.

• Hi @aresse - Thank you for letting us know this is a feature you will like to implemented in the future for 1Password Families. I can definitely understand the need for this. On a separate note, while I was looking into your 1Password account I saw you're the only one who can recover members. To get the most out of 1Password, I'd recommend adding another recovery member: https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-recovery/

This acts as a safety net in case one of you loses your Account Key or Master Password. One of the other members can come to the rescue and help you get a new set of credentials. :)

Also make sure everyone prints out their Emergency Kits and writes their Master Password in the space provided: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and keep us posted if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

Frank, I think that I am confused. In the previous posting you said "To get the most out of 1Password, I'd recommend adding another recovery member." I was under the impression that only the account owner can do recoveries in 1Password Family. Did I misread the documentation?

• @learning_1pw That's correct — you haven't misread it. :) Family Organizers are the members capable of recovering accounts in 1Password Families. Frank was referring to them generally speaking. Sorry for the confusion.

• cybrmichael
    cybrmichael
    Community Member

I'm in favor of this as well. My wife and I need to be able to manage, protect, and view all vaults (including personal vaults) for our kids without logging in as them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@cybrmichael: We don't have plans to allow administrators of any 1Password.com plan to view data in Personal/Private vaults of individual members. That's just creepy. We may consider making it possible to disable Personal/Private vaults in the future though. However, if you don't want your kids to have privacy in the mean time, you can invite them as Guest accounts. That way they'll only have access to a single vault you share with them. Each 1Password Families account includes 5 Guests in the base price (1Password Teams includes 5 or more, depending on the plan). Hopefully that helps.

But this discussion isn't really about that at all. Keep in mind that 1Password Families accounts have a year of item history, so if someone — even you — makes a mistake and changes/deletes some information, this can be reversed. And 1Password Families also supports sharing vaults with each member with Edit and/or Manage permissions enabled or disabled. These are changes we've made in response to customer feedback. So while we don't have plans to make 1Password Families as complex as 1Password Teams, there's a lot of power and flexibility there. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.