My 1Password iPhone app freezes up when logging in [Please update to iOS 10.2.1 or newer]

BenHoerr
BenHoerr
Community Member
edited April 2017 in iOS

When I try to log into my 1Password app on my iPhone 6, I can type 13 characters of my master password and then the screen locks up. It will sit there for about a minute after which time the app closes. I tried soft rebooting my phone several times, no luck. I tried turning off Touch ID (several posts on your forum indicated this might be the problem), no luck. What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.0.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:cant log into app

Comments

• nemessis2gm
    nemessis2gm
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

I have this issue too. Iphone 5s, iOS 10.0.1, 1Password 6.5.3. When i type 13th character, app freeze. Reinstall App doesn't help, reboot, doesn't help. What shoud I do?

• sbingner
    sbingner
    Community Member

Their "solution" is to upgrade to 10.2.1 supposedly. Hopefully they figure out that's not a solution and fix their app, but if that's an option for you it might work around their bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BenHoerr, @nemessis2gm: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! As sbingner mentioned, updating to iOS 10.2.1 should resolve the issue. Just be sure to backup your device and backup your local vaults in 1Password first. Please let me know how it tuns out!

@sbingner: Indeed, as far as I've seen, the iOS update has helped users experiencing this issue. 1Password doesn't control the keyboard, after all. However, even apart from this, using an outdated OS version with known vulnerabilities when there are fixes available isn't a good idea. And since 1Password users are presumably using the app because security is important to them, it's important to stay up to date. There have been 6 important iOS updates with security fixes in the past 6 months: 10.0.2 (September 23, 2016); 10.0.3 (October 17, 2016); 10.1 (October 24, 2016); 10.1.1 (October 31, 2016); 10.2 (December 12, 2016); 10.2.1 (January 23, 2017). I'm sorry to be so pedantic about this, but it's pretty important. We can't really afford to not take these things seriously.

• sbingner
    sbingner
    Community Member

Of course keeping your phone secure is important. It is, however, not an excuse for not supporting people who don't have the option to upgrade.

• dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH
    dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH
    Community Member

6.5.2 works fine on my 10.1.1 iPhone.
    6.5.3 does not.
    Can 1Password mark the 6.5.3 release as requiring 10.2.1? That way customers will get an option to download the most recent compatible version in the App Store.

As for security, if you want real security you would jailbreak your phone and patch the exploits yourself. This way you can get truly secure features like a Firewall that lets you detect if applications are phoning home for nefarious reasons. You'll need a version a version of iOS lower than 10.2.1.

• kauschovar
    kauschovar
    Community Member

I'm affected by this too. Can Agile Bits fix this for iOS 10.1? dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH's suggestion seems straight-forward enough.

@brenty Telling us to upgrade to 10.2 isn't a very satisfying response. I'd like to decide for myself when to upgrade.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sbinger: Nobody's making excuses. If we weren't supporting you, there wouldn't be anyone here to read your comments. ;)

In all seriousness, we're exploring other workarounds as well, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that waiting for an update to 1Password is a substitute for iOS security updates. And by updating iOS, you get that and 1Password will work for you better in this case. Think what you will, but people came here looking for a solution to a problem, and this is the one that's available currently.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH: Jailbreaking, by definition, breaks the iOS security model in fundamental ways. That's why it's the only way to run unsigned code on an iOS device (apart from exploits which are discovered, and patched in subsequent updates). Regardless, if 1Password for iOS really required 10.2.1, that would make sense. It works fine for most people though back to iOS 9 though.

@kauschovar: For now the only workaround is to update to the current version of iOS, which also happens to have many other important security fixes as well. We'll continue to investigate to see if there are other options, but you could do a lot worse than running 1Password on the most secure version of the OS available.

• kauschovar
    kauschovar
    Community Member

we're exploring other workarounds as well

@brenty Where will it be announced when the iOS 10.1 bug is fixed? Is there a mailing list we can subscribe too?

It's really disconcerting to be locked out of accessing my password vault. The iOS security updates that you keep bringing up must be very egregious if losing access to our password vaults as an acceptable trade-off. "Customers lost access to their password vaults" should be one of the most critical bugs that a password management product could face. I'd like to see Agile Bits treating this with the urgency it deserves.

• Hi @kauschovar,

We didn't make any changes to the way Master Password entry works in 1Password 6.5.3. You can see what changes we did make in our change log here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPI4#v653002

Additionally apps have very limited ability to interact with the keyboard. All that we do in 1Password in this regard is, by default, disable 3rd party keyboards in the app (iOS already disables 3rd party keyboards in password fields such as the Master Password field).

As such this does not appear to be a bug in 1Password. This appears to be an iOS issue, and perhaps has been for some time:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/10/how-to-fix-iphone-keyboard-freezing-problem.html

Ben

• kauschovar
    kauschovar
    Community Member

Hi @Ben. Thanks for the links. I tried some of the suggestions in the iphonehacks.com link (disabled predictive typing, disable spell check, reset the phone). None of the suggestions fixed the keyboard issue. As it stands right now, 1Password is the only app that exhibits this bug on my phone.

Uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password gets me access to the vault one time. (The master password entry when opening a vault from Dropbox works fine.) After restarting my phone, the bug is back.

• Thanks for the update @kauschovar. As brenty mentioned all I can recommend at this point is upgrading to iOS 10.2.1.

Ben

• dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH
    dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH
    Community Member

As a jailbroken iOS user, I can confirm that downgrading to 6.5.2 works fine. You can use "App Admin" (installed via Cydia) to downgrade 1password.

While the bug might not be specific to 1password, I think this gives clear evidence that it can be fixed on 1password's side. Where I work we like to own the entire experience, rather than trying to point blame on our third party integration points.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH: We do too, and that's why 1Password isn't supported on Jailbroken devices. Doing so quite literally compromises the security foundation that iOS and all apps running on it depend on. If we can find a way to work around the issue in the future ourselves, we will, but updating iOS will work for people encountering this keyboard issue today — and eschews important security improvements that are readily available.

• dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH
    dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH
    Community Member

@brenty Jailbreaking doesn't eschew important security improvements - those improvements can be installed post jailbreaking, that is a simple fact. The doors to a jailbreak can be closed by the owner.

I am comfortable agreeing to disagree with you on your choice of security through obscurity. Users can make their own decision on whether security through obscurity is a valid security foundation. Most won't be able to understand the difference. Apple owns the keys to their security system, not customers. Jailbreaking allows customers to control the keys, opening up the security for customers to control and manage.

• We can argue all day; so sure, agree to disagree. Either way, we do not support 1Password on jailbroken devices. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dHNKZrf4XWJ7uH: Admittedly it's a lot to digest, but the information is out there if you're interested. Either way, it's really not a matter for debate. Apple simply doesn't have the keys to decrypt the data on iOS devices, any more than we have the keys to your vault. If they did, something could have come of the FBI's demands: either compliance or repercussions for non-compliance; and if we did, we'd be out on the street dancin' for nickels. And computer security depends on a solid foundation of an OS that hasn't been tampered with. Like iOS, 1Password's data security is based on encryption, and application security the chain of trust. If you think trust and encryption together constitute "security by obscurity", you should probably look elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.