Question about master passwords when moving to 1Password Family

learning_1pw
learning_1pw
Community Member

Currently, I'm using the licensed version of 1Password, but I'm planning to move to 1Password Family. With the licensed version I have one master password on my Mac and a different one on my iPhone. In the licensed version this causes no problem, because the syncing is through Dropbox. I'm wondering, though, if I'll need to use the same master password on both devices when I move to 1Password Family?

1Password Version: 6.6.2 on Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Jacob
    edited March 2017

Hey @learning_1pw! That's a great question. With 1Password Families, the Master Password would be the same across your devices since it's assigned on a user level. There are ways to work around that, though. You could create another members on your family account and share the vault you want to use between the two members which have different Master Passwords and Account Keys.

Or you could keep the vault you have outside your family account right now, and that would continue to set the Master Password. You should set up a vault from your account for saving new items though since you want to use the account for things in the future.

Both of these have downsides. The first means you have two Account Keys, and more management. The second means that a vault outside your account sets the Master Password that unlocks things. So long as you know the Master Password for the account, you should be just fine. Just make sure you have that written down in a few places, or add a family organizer as well so they can recover your account if you need them to down the road.

Hope that gives you some ideas. :) Have fun with your family account.

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

Thanks for you suggestions, Jacob. They are good ideas, but I think the easiest thing for me to do is revert to using the same master password on all of my devices before I sign up for the family account.

• Hi @learning_1pw - On behalf of Jacob you're very welcome. I can definitely understand the need to get all your ducks in a row before signing up for 1Password Families. If you want to change your Master Password, I will include a helpful link below -

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/

Let us know if you have any further questions and we'll be more than happy to assist you :-)

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

Thanks, Frank. That link is very helpful. You're right about wanting to get all of my ducks in a row. That's mostly because 1Password is so important to me, that I want the transition to go smoothly. To that end, I've been reading most of the support documents and following many of the threads on the forum.

The forum has been very helpful. The Agilebits team has answered many questions for me. That includes both questions that I have asked directly and answers that I have been able to find by searching the forum. You all are great, and I'm sure that the transition will go very well. I'll prbably make the leap this week.

• That's great news! Thank you for the kind words @learning_1pw :-) We're here to help and keep us posted when you're ready to sign up. We'll be happy to assist you getting started with 1Password Families :+1:

This discussion has been closed.