Auto filling not working in safari (private mode) for iPhone

Options
arifjusoh
arifjusoh
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

I follow the steps in https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/ to save the fields in the form.

On my next visit to the page, 1password extension able to auto-filled in the password.
However, when i tried to login in iPhone's safari (Private mode), the built-in password manager fails to auto-filled in the password.

The following is the URL:
http://www.maybank2u.com.my

iOS 1Password Version: 6.5.3
iOS version: 10.2.1 (14D27)

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.6.3 (663004) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3 (16D32)
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:auto filling not working in safari [private] on iphone

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @arifjusoh

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

1Password doesn't use the built-in password manager in Safari. Instead we have an extension that you can use to enable filling. Please see this guide for further details:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Please note also that 1Password never "autofills" (fills without your instruction). For security reasons 1Password will only fill when you tell it to.

Thanks!

Ben

• arifjusoh
    arifjusoh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben
    Thanks for ur prompt reply.

Sorry that I had use the wrong terms. I thought that it was called built-in password manager. I'm actually referring to 1password extension.

I did exactly as instructed in the guide but 1password fails to fill in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arifjusoh: Thanks for clarifying. 1Password for iOS cannot fill there because they have their login form in a frame — it's being loaded from a different web page. Safari doesn't allow the extension access to that, but you can copy and paste your username and password.

You could also try the URL it seems to be loading the frame from: https://www.maybank2u.com.my/mbb/m2u/common/mbbPortalAccess.do

I can't say I'm optimistic that will work, but it's worth a try. I hope this helps!

• arifjusoh
    arifjusoh
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks for the copy paste tips @brenty . I appreciate it.

However, it seems these dumb website doesn't allowed me to paste. :|

I already contacted the website customer support and this is their reply:
    "We are sorry to inform that as a security measure, the option to copy and paste a password to log in to Maybank2u has been disabled. You need to enter the information manually."

So not user friendly. >_<

On the side note, I realised that they added these on the input tag.

<. input .. onPaste="return false" ... >

I could have change this to "" or "return true" if im in desktop, but I couldn't do it in iPhone. Any chances that 1password could add such features to overwrite such code? It would be great to have this especially when facing some dumb website that thinks its "secured" by having lots of restrictions.

• arifjusoh
    arifjusoh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips @brenty .
    However, it seems this dumb website doesn't allowed be to paste :|.
    And using the URL wont helps since it will redirect back to homepage if i directly go there.

I've contacted their customer support, and this is their reply:
    "We are sorry to inform that as a security measure, the option to copy and paste a password to log in to Maybank2u has been disabled. You need to enter the information manually."

Very not user friendly.

On the side note, I realised that they added the following code

<input type="password" name="password1" ... onpaste="return false" ... >

I could change this to onpaste="" or onpaste="return true" in desktop, but i cant do it on mobile.
    Any chances that 1password would add a feature that will overwrite such code so that we able to copy & paste?
    It would be a great features for user especially when dealing with dumb website that thinks its "secured" to have such restriction.

• arifjusoh
    arifjusoh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password Team,
    I'm able to overwrite the dumb webpage to enable copy paste.

lucky i found this that giving me the idea on how to change onpaste in iPhone

appletoolbox.com/2014/03/how-to-view-webpage-html-source-codes-on-ipad-iphone-no-app-required/

Thank all for the support. I appreciate it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arifjusoh: Likewise, thanks for sharing that information! Very interesting. But every time I hear "as a security measure, the option to copy and paste a password to log in has been disabled" I wish there were a "facepalm" emoji. My response would be, "Your making me use a weaker password than the one I have..." I'm not sure it would be appropriate for us to modify webpages to enable copy/paste, but it's certainly tempting at times, and an interest idea. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.