Can I still buy standalone license for the 1password? [no longer being marketed]

edited July 14 in Purchasing

Hello,

I have been using 1password for some time now and it is really a good app to have. I was wondering If I would buy standalone license for 1password. I am not a big fan of subscription based software. I would really appreciate your help on this.

AgileBits Accepted Answer: 2017-05-31 -- 1Password is no longer marketed as a standalone product. We strongly feel that our 1Password memberships provide a much better experience. If you would like to discuss your particular situation, and what solution may work best for you, please feel free to email us at sales@agilebits.com.

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator
    edited March 23

It is still possible to buy standalone licences, though AgileBits are not marketing them any more, as they want (for technical as well as commercial reasons) new users to go for the subscription.

Email support+licences@agilebits.com (I'm not sure if this is the best address, but it will work) and they will organise something.

But there are real advantages in the subscription. Do look at https://support.1password.com/why-account/ before finally deciding.

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @asangroula - Thank you for reaching out to us and it's great to hear you enjoy using 1Password. I appreciate the feedback. We strongly feel our new 1Password memberships are the best way to experience using 1Password.

With our new 1Password memberships all of our apps (Windows, Mac, Pro features for iOS & Android) are included even future paid upgrades since it's built into the monthly pricing. You can also access your 1Password data from any device via the web. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. It’s more secure, your data is fully encrypted using a randomized unique Secret Key in conjunction with your Master Password (only you know the keys to decrypt your data). This also includes data recovery, you just have to sign into 1Password using your login credentials and your data will already be there waiting for you - like magic!

Customers have been asking us for a long time to make syncing and sharing easier. Based on those demands we created 1Password.com accounts. The only way to provide this service is as a subscription (as there are recurring costs to us to provide it). We provide the sync service as well as the apps as part of this subscription.

As Danco mentioned, we're no longer marketing the standalone license offering. While it is still possible to purchase it (I'll email you a link), we are no longer recommending it for new customers. It requires more technical skill and attention to configure and maintain and as such we strongly feel the subscription offering is the better choice for most people.That said, there are some that are comfortable with the level of technical skill required to set up the standalone product, and if you're one of them, then you're welcome to give it a try. I just don't want you to be put off on 1Password altogether because of that. The subscription service is definitely easier to use, especially if sharing with a family. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any additional questions and what works best for you. We're always happy to help out :+1:

• Hi @Frank, I would appreciate if I could get that link to buy standalone license. I am currently syncing my 1Password information to Dropbox and it is working perfect for me. so, I may not required in built sync functionality that is being offered by 1Password. So personally, if I think if I am able to purchase the standalone license it would satisfy my need. Also, I wanted to check, will 1Password keep the support continue for future releases as well?

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member
    edited March 23

Hi asangroula - I'm glad to hear you're happy with your current set up :-) We're just happy you're using 1Password. I just sent you over an email so we can continue the discussion over there. As far as plans for the future, we don't speculate on future releases. We will continue to release updates to our current apps but I can't predict what will happen tomorrow or next year. Our main focus is to make sure our new 1Password memberships offer a rock solid user experience. :+1: I look forward to your reply and working with you. Talk to you soon.

ref: JLQ-79889-865

• My son and I have been using 1Password standalone with Dropbox to share vaults for some time. My wife wants to join us and so I set up a Dropbox-sahred vault on my 1Password. She got 1Password for Mac at the App store but signed up for the monthly subscription. I can see no way for her to access Dropbox from her 1Password. How do we stop the subscription and get back the option to buy her a standalone version. She also needs to get rid the similar setup on her iPhone.

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member
    edited April 4

Hi @MeHere - It's great to hear the entire family is using 1Password :+1: Kudos to you!!! While it is possible for you to continue using Dropbox to sync local vaults, you’re right that it can often be confusing and difficult to manage!

If you prefer to continue with your current set up. Your wife will have to cancel the subscription. Once the subscription has been cancelled she will then need to re-create a Primary vault to move her data over from her Personal vault. She can choose Dropbox as a sync source via preferences and you can help her set up the Shared Dropbox vault. Make sure Dropbox is installed on her device then she will also want to create a new vault within 1Password. I don't recommend sharing via Dropbox anymore due to the difficulties to get everything set up on each device.

Actually, that’s why we created 1Password Families in the first place: because it should be easy to share data securely with our loved ones.

Have you considered converting your wife's new account into a 1Password Families account? You don't have to set up and manage a Dropbox vault, you simply just move or copy an item from your Private vault over to your Shared vault so everyone has access to it. It's one of the reasons I prefer Families over sharing via Dropbox. When you get a new device, to set up 1Password, you just log into the Families account and your 1Password data is already there waiting for you.

My wife is new to using 1Password. I added her to my Families account and shortly after creating an account, she forgot her Master Password. I was able to sign into my Families account and place her account into recovery mode. She was able to create a new Master Password and was back rocking 1Password like nothing ever happened. You no longer have to worry about starting over.

I hope this helped and let us know if you have any further questions, we're always happy to assist.

• My wife and I were going to purchase the full version of 1Password as a birthday gift for our son through iTunes/iOS App Store, but that doesn't seem possible any longer (although I would love to learn that I'm wrong). I understand why AgileBits might want to move to a subscription model; however, many people (including my entire family) have absolutely zero interest in moving to such a model. It's not about the money - we both purchased the current iOS and macOS versions and we don't mind paying for upgrades - it's about the model. Even though the subscription version may make syncing trivial, syncing the standalone version is hardly difficult. As much as I depend on 1Password and as many times as I have recommended it to others, I don't want to be dependent on subscription-based software and we'll switch to something else if the subscription version becomes the only way to stay up-to-date.

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

Thanks for the feedback @anonymous52! We don't currently have a way to gift 1Password directly, unfortunately. That is hopefully something we can implement in the future. In the mean time it should be possible to purchase a generic gift card such as the ones issued by Visa and American Express to make the purchase/subscription.

Ben

• Frank,

With all the time I have wasted so far, I do not want to try to figure how to convert my son and I to Families. He is away at college and it wouldn't possible anyway.

We cancelled the $3.99 subscription and did everything else. But the free trial is still active and there appears to be no way to buy the App.

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member

Hi MeHere - Thank you for getting back to us. I just sent you over an email so we can continue the conversation over there. It's a little easier to discuss specifics relating to your account via email than running into sharing anything private here :+1: Talk to you soon.

ref: ICY-33411-713

• Hi Frank,
    I'm yet another "dislike subscription" person, so could you email me a link to purchase the windows version licence.
    I spent a lot of time trying to find a page to purchase same, but only found a place to purchase a mac licence.
    Thank you

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@TonySantino: Since 1Password for Windows version 4 is not being actively developed, we're no longer selling licenses for it. Currently we're focused on building 1Password 6, and this does only work with 1Password.com accounts currently.

I know you specifically said you don't like subscriptions in general, but it wouldn't hurt to try it for 30 days to see if you like what a 1Password.com membership has to offer. After all, if you haven't tried it before, you really don't know if you like it or not! if you end up not liking it, you're not out any money at least. We're not going to be able to give everyone exactly what they want, so we try to focus on making 1Password the best it can be for the greatest number of people.

• @brenty ... thanks for your reply. I fully respect both your business model and your aim of maximizing 1password's value to your public. So I am not trying to make a case for you to change, but rather give an insight to MY requirements and thinking.
    Having said that, my position is ...
    1. I am now in retirement and income is dramatically different. So, looking at amazon prime, adobe cc, pressdisplay subscriptions, and a potential 1Password one, I reach the point where something has to give. (I would like Pandora and Netflix as well,but they're definitely out). I've reached subscription saturation.
    2. I was looking at changing password managers (currently a lastpass user) with a view to getting away from cloud based sync. I'd rather make the effort and do my own (local) syncing
    3. I did download 1Password 4 and very briefly tried it. And liked the feel/look of it so much I was considering shelling out big bikkies (to me) for it.
    4. Following on from 3, "...it wouldn't hurt to try it". yes it would, as I'll probably like it too much. Then MY pain will be maximized.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member
    edited April 10

@brenty ... thanks for your reply. I fully respect both your business model and your aim of maximizing 1password's value to your public. So I am not trying to make a case for you to change, but rather give an insight to MY requirements and thinking.

@TonySantino: You're welcome! Likewise, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I obviously didn't know the specifics of your situation, but I wanted to be upfront and honest about the future of 1Password 4. I'd hate to sell you a license for it, only to find out later that it won't be receiving significant improvements going forward. So I think under the circumstances that's even more important.

Having said that, my position is ...
    1) I am now in retirement and income is dramatically different. So, looking at amazon prime, adobe cc, pressdisplay subscriptions, and a potential 1Password one, I reach the point where something has to give. (I would like Pandora and Netflix as well,but they're definitely out). I've reached subscription saturation.

I hear you. Honestly (editorializing a bit) when it comes down to that for me, I'd go with Amazon since they include video, music, and a whole bunch of stuff I take for granted with their offering.

2) I was looking at changing password managers (currently a lastpass user) with a view to getting away from cloud based sync. I'd rather make the effort and do my own (local) syncing

I hear you. I was not excited about the subscription proposition at first either with other services, and was less than enthusiastic when we first introduced 1Password.com. I'm a big DIY'r, and, I've found, this is much to my detriment in many cases (in spite of how much fun it can be) because I go down these rabbit holes of figuring things out, and invest a ton of time into this stuff when I really should be tending to other matters. I think this equation is different for everyone, but in the end, the convenience of 1Password.com won out for me (though I still have some Dropbox vaults hanging around).

3) I did download 1Password 4 and very briefly tried it. And liked the feel/look of it so much I was considering shelling out big bikkies (to me) for it.

Thanks for the kind words! 1Password 4 isn't "the new hotness", but it's a mature app with a ton of great features. It's going to take us a while to get 1Password 6 up to that level, but we're making good progress.

4) Following on from 3, "...it wouldn't hurt to try it". yes it would, as I'll probably like it too much. Then MY pain will be maximized.

Well, we really don't want it to hurt, and maybe there's something we can do to help. I'll shoot you an email in case some additional details about your setup suggest a solution. Cheers! :)

ref: RFV-58923-444

• @brenty Thank you for your honest and thoughtful reply. Much appreciated.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Any time! We're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

• Hello, I have been trying to get a link to the standalone license site for 2 weeks. I emailed support 2 week ago and emailed them again tonight. I just want to purchase a standalone licence. I already use 1Password with Dropbox and it works perfectly. Please provide the link. I have Mac version installed now and want to purchase Windows version.

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member
    edited April 20

Hi @leemurphy,

I'm having trouble tracking down your email(s). Could you please let me know what your support ID is? It'll be in the subject line of the auto-reply you received from BitBot.

Ben

Update: We've found your email and see that Louise is already assisting you so let's keep the conversation going there. :)

ref: XJM-35886-683

• I would like to chime in and make an argument for the standalone license. I'm also adverse to subscription based pricing models as I don't see those products as viable long term solutions given none of us ever know what the future may hold. Something as important as your password manager must not ever have a potential time-clock attached to it. I understand that if the subscription should lapse, a user can still access their information. But without being able to continue adding and managing password's it wouldn't be very useful would it? And who would want to have to go through all the trouble of migrating the information to a new solution after paying who knows how much for the service?

Another major reason I don't like the subscription/account product is specifically because of the account. I use a password manager to increase my security. As soon as all of my information is stored in a mass online system (cloud) I feel my security has been significantly compromised by nature of becoming a target. I manage my own private cloud service from my home network and this is where I would store my 1Password encryption file.

Can I get more information for the non-subscription product?

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @joldham

We're no longer marketing a non-subscription option.

I'd counter your first argument by saying that you're absolutely right: none of us know what the future may bring. As such wouldn't it be better to have developers who you are paying to keep the software and service working, vs buying a version of a product that may not work (and may not be made to work) with whatever the future brings? Buying a standalone license would not protect you against any of the things you've mentioned being worried about. If anything a subscription is a better bet. I'll give you an example. Lets go back a few years. We used to sell licenses for 1Password 3 for Mac. This was a great and revolutionary product at the time, and lots of folks (including me!) were happy to pay for it. But macOS has evolved a great deal, as have web browsers, and 1Password 3 no longer runs on the latest OS or browsers. If you'd bought 1Password 3 you'd be stuck in the situation you described. Its time clock has run out.

Fast forward to today and a 1Password membership always gives you access to the latest versions of 1Password on whatever platforms we support that you'd like to use. Want to switch from Mac to Windows? No problem. Want to switch from Android to iOS? New macOS comes out that requires changes to 1Password to make it compatible? Firefox revamps their addon support (which is happening, soon)? No problem. All included. Under the old model? Pay for a new version of 1Password, or lose out. Developers don't work for free.

As for security: I'd highly recommend taking a look here:

About the 1Password security model

I guarantee we've thought a lot more about security for 1Password than you have for your home network. ;) Also one thing you get with a memership that you don't get with the standalone product is a Secret Key:

About your Secret Key

We're very serious about security. And we've put our money where our mouth is:

AgileBits Blog | More than just a penny for your thoughts — $100,000 top bounty

Thanks.

Ben

• cribdeathcribdeath
    edited April 24

i'd like to buy the stand alone license for 1password. I already have 1pw with a stand alone PW and I want to get another one for my kids. Thanks.

actually I bought the license in March 2014 and it says that the license can be used by 5 people on as many macs as needed. How do I activate this on my family member's computers?

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member
    edited April 25

@cribdeath: If you'd previously purchased a family license for the standalone version of 1Password for Mac, you and up to five family members in your household are entitled to use it on all of your Macs. I've resent your license information via email, and you can simply forward it to your family members so they can easily install and register the app. Cheers! :)

• kutenaikutenai Junior Member

So -- here is a question for you. If someone signs up for a trial, and downloads the software, they can of course create a set of vaults on their families account, but they can ALSO create a vault and sync via iCloud or Dropbox. If someone does this, and then cancels the family account, will they still be able to use the external vault?

I personally have a family account and 2 business accounts, so I'm totally cool with the subscription model, and sold on the value that the shared service provides. Kudos. But, for those that don't see that value, maybe that's a way to get the software and not pay for the service long term. Almost sounds like cheating... but, at least it gets them a chance to see the value of the cloud.. maybe some will stay, some might go.

Will the software itself be disabled in some way from external vaults if the subscription is cancelled?

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

So -- here is a question for you. If someone signs up for a trial, and downloads the software, they can of course create a set of vaults on their families account, but they can ALSO create a vault and sync via iCloud or Dropbox. If someone does this, and then cancels the family account, will they still be able to use the external vault?

@kutenai: Yes. While it won't be possible to make changes without paying, we don't want to lock anyone out of their data, so it will still be accessible.

I personally have a family account and 2 business accounts, so I'm totally cool with the subscription model, and sold on the value that the shared service provides. Kudos. But, for those that don't see that value, maybe that's a way to get the software and not pay for the service long term. Almost sounds like cheating... but, at least it gets them a chance to see the value of the cloud.. maybe some will stay, some might go.

Absolutely. That's why we've always (at least as long as I can remember...) offered free trials. Frankly, I hate paying for something without really knowing if it will be a good fit for me, so I'm glad that folks can test drive 1Password for a month before committing. Heck, thats how I got started!

Will the software itself be disabled in some way from external vaults if the subscription is cancelled?

The account just goes into a frozen (read-only) state. Everything in the vault(s) is still available to access or export, they just won't be able to modify it further without paying for it. Cheers! :)

• I am also interested in purchasing a standalone license for 1password. I am not planning to use ANY cloud services to manage my pw vault and only have 1 other device (my iPhone) that I would like to sync via local WiFi network.

I have just downloaded and installed the free trial and like the features I've seen so far.

Can you please send me the link to purchase a standalone license for my iMac?
    Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @bfnlaw

As mentioned above we're no longer marketing the option, and it is consider an advanced option. If you're concerned about security I'd suggest taking a look here:

1Password Security Design Whitepaper

In short we've designed our service so that we are not a valuable target. The information that could be stolen from us is of little to no value.

That said, if you'd still like to purchase a 1Password 6 for Mac license let me know. I'll send you a link. Please note that with the standalone route the apps for each platform are sold separately (e.x. 1Password 6 for Mac is a separate purchase from the Pro features for 1Password 6 for iOS). Additionally, unlike the subscription service, upgrades are not included.

Ben

• Yes please send me the link.

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

I've sent the link. :)

Ben

• Hello,

I believe enough has been said about why some of us do not prefer a subscription model, especially for something like a password manager. So, I won't get into a lot of detail except shortly touching upon the general themes.

Naturally, everyone have their own reasons, but these basically boil down to two categories :

• For some, it's mainly the FINANCIAL aspects and/or the LOCK-DOWN clock.
    • For some others (like myself), it also includes SECURITY concerns.

Afaik, nobody is asking agileBits to discontinue support for "1password.com" accounts and online synching; just like noone yelled at you folks for having introduced "cloud synching", like for dropbox ...

Obviously, this is the current "trend", as they say, and we can't blame you for having jumped on the bandwagon; especially when some of your users have probably beeen asking for these "cloud features"...

Besides, you folks also have a living to make; and the subscription model may look (and perhaps even end up) as being more profitable for agilBits, after all... All that is understandable...

On the other hand, whoever is taking these decisions at agileBits should also understand that we, as loyal and happy customers so far, also so have some decisions to make ...

For my part, the equation is as simple as follows :;

a) EITHER, agileBits reverses the decision discontinue "standalone" licensing and all the features that go with it (local, device to device synching) with a top-level executive publicly pledging to keep ACTIVE development for these for the next X years (x >= 3), AND acts swiftly upon it.

b) OR, I jump off your wagon....

It's as simple as that.

I won't be happy to have to choose "b", as overall I have been a happy customer so far.
    But I know for sure I won't continue being one unless option "a" happpens pretty soon (like in a month or two).

In any case, I am a pretty annoyed customer at this time...

Thanks for having read this message so far.

Have a great day!
    Ayk

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @Ayk - Thank you for contacting us and I appreciate the additional details you included. We haven't made a decision and nothing has been decided at this time. To be completely honest, I don't know what the future holds. If and when a decision is made, we'll definitely make sure to let our customers know.

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated but nothing has changed for customers currently using an existing standalone license. Updates will continue to be supported with your standalone license. You can keep rocking your current 1Password set up and we'll continue to support our customers if they run into any questions or issues.

Sorry for not giving you the answer you're asking for but I'm not in a position to speculate about future plans. Just as we can't say we will continue to support licenses for a "x" number of years. There's just no way to answer that question. Apple could eliminate iCloud and Dropbox could decide to change their API's again. There are a lot of factors to consider and speculating about the future wouldn't be the right thing to do. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out to us and for sharing your feedback. We're always hear if you need us :+1: