Questions concerning the latest 1Password 6.5 beta

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,
I was very delighted to see the latest beta with lots of good stuff in it. Great Job :)
However I've a few questions to that.

1. Update existing items: as I've been waiting for this feature, I immediately tried that. Updating an existing item worked, but it actually has replaced the whole item. When doing the same in 1Password 4, it asks if it should replace the item or only update the password (e.g. for a password change). I found that pretty neat. Is this coming to 1Password 6 too?
  2. In the release notes, you write about "retiring third party service options for migrating 1Password local folders". Does that mean that you have no more plans to support local vaults at all in 1Password 6?
  3. Adding to 2.: If you remove support for Dropbox, is it still possible to open OPVault files in read-only mode in 1Password 6, as long as I myself manage to get the folder to my computer and make it accessible to the application? Does it have to reside outside the Dropbox folder to work?

1Password Version: 6.5.395d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2017

Hi @Manaburner,

Thanks for writing in with great questions.

Updating an existing item worked, but it actually has replaced the whole item. When doing the same in 1Password 4, it asks if it should replace the item or only update the password (e.g. for a password change). I found that pretty neat. Is this coming to 1Password 6 too?

When you said replaced the whole item, what do you mean exactly?

Technically, 1Password 4 was the rare exception, we've added that option because of 1Password 4 didn't save the other fields when you replace the item. The proper solution is what we're doing in 1Password 6, update only the fields that has changed, retain the rest. This is consistent now with the rest of 1Password apps, which is why we won't bring this extra feature that is no longer needed.

In addition, with the 1Password membership, you also have the item history feature, every change results in the entire item being saved for going back in time.

In the release notes, you write about "retiring third party service options for migrating 1Password local folders". Does that mean that you have no more plans to support local vaults at all in 1Password 6?

No, nothing changes related to local vault support. We're removing the actual Dropbox/OneDrive APIs that pulls the copy of the vaults via their servers, rather than pulling from your local drive. It is basically returning back to the way 1Password 4 did it.

Adding to 2.: If you remove support for Dropbox, is it still possible to open OPVault files in read-only mode in 1Password 6, as long as I myself manage to get the folder to my computer and make it accessible to the application? Does it have to reside outside the Dropbox folder to work?

Yes, that's how it works and no, you don't have to move the local vaults anywhere. You can just select the folder inside any directory you want, including Dropbox or OneDrive. We're just not going to use the "remote" APIs anymore.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Technically, 1Password 4 was the rare exception, we've added that option because of 1Password 4 didn't save the other fields when you replace the item. The proper solution is what we're doing in 1Password 6, update only the fields that has changed, retain the rest

You're absolutely right. It only replaced some fields but left the others intact. Just tested that with updating a password.

Scratch what I said before, this is even better than with 1Password 4 :chuffed:

• That's great to hear!

Scratch what I said before, this is even better than with 1Password 4 :chuffed:

Best kind of feedback when building a new version, doing something better with less settings. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.