Any plans to improve the 1password keyboard on Android and iOS?

bridaw
bridaw
Community Member

The 1password keyboard for android and iOS really needs improvement. The needed improvements have nothing to do with username/password entry into websites or apps. Every time I need to enter my master password I curse under my breath about your keyboard. Every day -for many years.

I bet most users would like a row of numbers at the top of the keyboard. This is a BASIC feature sorely lacking. My master password for 1password is a decent one that includes several numbers and special characters. It takes so much more time to type because you don't include a number row at the top of the keyboard. Most keyboards map these to a long-press function on the top row of letters and optionally provide a dedicated row of numbers if enabled. There is plenty of room on the screen. Your logo is centered in this massive empty void that could be used for a row of numbers like every other keyboard out there including the few I use, Samsung, Gboard and SwiftKey.

Expanding on the long-press function is the 2nd badly needed feature -mapping special characters to the rest of the letter keys. These special characters should be typed when using a long-press on a letter key. Most keyboards even support mapping multiple special characters to some keys by popping up a small horizontal menu above the pressed key allowing you to select one of several related/similar characters. You don't need to reinvent the wheel here, just mimic what every other keyboard does. You can even hide this as an option to be enabled by the user if you want a default "clean" look.

The mobile versions of your app has been around for quite some time now. Why is the keyboard still treated like an afterthought?

I've found multiple posts on these forums where people made have made these requests over several years. We'll look into it, discussion closed. Please improve the keyboard. Maybe you assume most people just use thumb/finger print sensor these days. Some of us choose not to use that technology. You can take the time to code that functionality but you can't add a simple row of numbers to the top of the keyboard?!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Zod
    Zod
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Maybe with Android O and its new autofill API there won't even be the need of a 1password keyboard anymore :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@Zod - Just in case anyone's not aware of this functionality, this will be in Android O (the next version of Android, out in Q3):
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/21/android-o-feature-spotlight-official-autofill-api-will-save-typing-thing/

I'm also hoping 1Password will support this when O is released. I have some problems with the current custom keyboard method (more specifically sometimes it refuses to pop-up), and would like to be able to just stick to the default keyboard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bridaw: Depending on the person, people either say they don't want to use a keyboard at all, or they want a bunch more features/integration. I think that's because dealing with keyboards at all can be nearly impossible in some configurations. So I'm not sure that a keyboard is really the solution.

As we've mentioned before, we've been working on better ways to fill using 1Password for Android. I can't speak to @Zod and @pbryanw 's comments directly, other than to say we don't have anything to share at this time. But once we have something for you we'll be excited to announce it. And if you're a 1Password for Android beta tester you'll always get the latest as soon as it's publicly available. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bridaw: I just realized that I failed to address the second part of your question, regarding iOS, as I had meant to. Sorry about that! On iOS, 1Password uses an extension, which is system-wide, for filling, since this facility is both available and secure. We don't currently have any plans for a 1Password keyboard there, as 3rd party keyboards aren't even able to be activated when a password field is focused. Kind of a non-starter for us. Anyway, this is better suited to the iOS category of the forums if you have additional comments, questions, or suggestions about that version though. Cheers! :)

• bridaw
    bridaw
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@brenty: I stated in the 2nd sentence "the needed improvements have nothing to do with username/password entry into websites or apps". I'm talking about typing the master password using YOUR built-in 1password keyboard. The issue is the same on both iOS and Android. The 1password keyboard makes it unnecessarily difficult to type a strong master password that includes multiple numbers and special characters. I will not use finger/thumb prints and many phones don't even support that feature. Again, you have taken the time to code that functionality (supporting thumb/finger prints to unlock) but won't add a row of numbers above the letters on your keyboard and support a long-press functionality to access special characters quickly. Why won't you improve your built-in keyboard?

• Thanks so much for the feedback @bridaw. We do know that our keyboard lacks all of the modern functionality that makes keyboards like SwiftKey so easy to use, and we've long wanted to add these features to our own keyboard. I'll certainly pass your feedback along to the team.

However, we're currently working on our filling implementation and we hope to make it a lot easier to fill, without having to use the keyboard soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bridaw: You're right. Sorry about that. I misunderstood since I'm able to use other keyboards to enter my Master Password in 1Password for Android, and on iOS we don't have any options when it comes to Master Password input since secure fields must use the default keyboard. But certainly there's room for improvement in the 1Password for Android keyboard. Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Cheers! :)

• muggle
    muggle
    Community Member

Not having a number row is archaic. Add a freaking number and symbol row, there is SO MUCH open screen realestate it's ridiculous to not have these things.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@muggle: I agree that a number row would be useful in this case (though most keyboards I've used don't have that), but not everyone has the same amount of screen real estate. Right now we're focused on Google's new filling APIs, as not having to use the keyboard at all will be preferable for most people. But this is definitely something we want to revisit in the future.

• bridaw
    bridaw
    Community Member

@brenty: Screen real estate is a non issue when the top "QWERTY" row of letters doubles as the number row as I mentioned above. A dedicated row of numbers would obviously take up more room but considering 2/3 of the "enter master password" screen is blank with your 1password icon centered in the void -still a non issue.

With the autofilling API in Android "O" is data in 1password still secured in some way? In other words, when an app or web page calls the Autofill Framework to be populated with information from 1password, won't the user still need to authenticate using biometrics or another method? There are users like myself that do not use biometrics to secure their phone, preferring to use a password, pattern or PIN -requiring some form of keyboard.

If I can use a proper keyboard like Gboard or Swiftkey when prompted to enter the 1password master password then it won't matter these features are still missing from the 1password keyboard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Screen real estate is a non issue when the top "QWERTY" row of letters doubles as the number row as I mentioned above.

@bridaw: True enough, but not super fast to tap, hold, and wait for a number. At least it feels a bit slow to me. But 1Password runs on a broad range of devices with different sized screens, so I wouldn't agree that real estate is truly a non-issue.

A dedicated row of numbers would obviously take up more room but considering 2/3 of the "enter master password" screen is blank with your 1password icon centered in the void -still a non issue.

What I mean is that when we're talking about changing the 1Password Keyboard, it would affect more than just use on the lock screen, since I don't think we'll be making multiple keyboards/layouts.

With the autofilling API in Android "O" is data in 1password still secured in some way? In other words, when an app or web page calls the Autofill Framework to be populated with information from 1password, won't the user still need to authenticate using biometrics or another method? There are users like myself that do not use biometrics to secure their phone, preferring to use a password, pattern or PIN -requiring some form of keyboard.

Automatic Filling in Android 8 is more secure than using the clipboard, which is what a lot of apps do. The 1Password Keyboard was designed to mitigate this risk as well, but since we're using accessibility frameworks for filling there it's less seamless than what's available now.

Going into security, obviously we avoided the clipboard in the first place because of the risks there. With Google's Autofill APIs, it is certainly possible for malicious apps to get your credentials by simply asking you for them. But that's the strength of our long-standing policy of requiring user action.

Often we get requests for 1Password to automatically login upon visiting a website on the desktop, but 1Password never fills without the user telling it to, and that applies here as well. With the new Autofill, 1Password can send requested information directly to the app upon your approval, so another cannot intercept it. The only intermediary is the OS. Of course, that means the integrity of the OS is critical, but then again it always is. So, as usual, we don't recommend or support "rooting", as that weakens or breaks much of the fundamental security in place. And as with any other use of 1Password, you will need to unlock it first before using it, based on the security settings you've chosen. So while there are potential risks, you're in control of when and where you fill sensitive information.

If I can use a proper keyboard like Gboard or Swiftkey when prompted to enter the 1password master password then it won't matter these features are still missing from the 1password keyboard.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to use a different keyboard to enter the Master Password. Is that a limitation of the "flavour" of Android your device is using?

• bobaldred
    bobaldred
    Community Member

The fact that you can't generate and save a new password from the android keyboard is a serious lacking feature of 1password on android. It makes using 1password on mobile incredibly cumbersome. It was asked for in 2015. Crazy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bobaldred: I hear you, but it's just not feasible within those constraints; we use the tools available to us, and there are a lot we've gotten just within the past several months. As you may be aware, we've already launched support for two new filling mechanisms in 1Password for Android this year (which can be used to largely automate login creation)...and we have some other tricks up our sleeves. Have you checked out the beta lately? ;)

This discussion has been closed.