:) :+1:

• 78e
    78e
    Community Member

Apple Watch Unlocking please :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Easier said than done, but maybe someday. :)

• ben_beton
    ben_beton
    Community Member

this would be great feature, thank you for your reply @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! :)

• Russellkling
    Russellkling
    Community Member

I too would love this feature to unlock 1Password with the Apple Watch, glad to see there is some talk about it anyway, seems there are some hoops you need to even use this feature. Good luck guys keep up the good work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! I really, really hope so too. :)

• jaarso
    jaarso
    Community Member

I too have gotten spoiled with unlocking my Mac with my Apple watch since OS Sierra. I would like to add my vote for the feature of unlocking 1P with the watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! I love that feature as well myself. :)

• aismagilov
    aismagilov
    Community Member

Sign me up or this too! :)

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd want that too! :)

• coco9nyc
    coco9nyc
    Community Member

Registered here just to add a +1 for this.

(Also: how about having the Mac app send a TouchID request to my iOS app when the password prompt appears? That would also be a step up in convenience, and is similar to the 2FA approach Google uses.)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your request & feedback! Brenty has previously explained some of what makes that difficult to implement. It would definitely be a handy feature, though! :)

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member

Even with the Touch ID unlock for 1Password I think this would be a worthwhile option, so yes, sign me up as a ‘Me too!’ 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Zod
    Zod
    Community Member

I would love that too, considering that not all macs have touch id (at the moment), it should be a valid alternative to unlock 1password!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd also be interested in that! :)

• Jarmensjo
    Jarmensjo
    Community Member

Please add Apple Watch ability

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Got it @Jarmensjo, thank you for your feedback!

• hunter44x
    hunter44x
    Community Member

Pleeeease! I'm sure I'm not alone who spend lots of time a day when back to office chair. Touch ID is good, but if you use external display, you should type a password every time. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

That's one approach we can consider. Thanks for letting us know!

• frenn
    frenn
    Community Member

I just wanted to add that I would also really enjoy the ability to unlock 1password on my Mac with my Apple Watch. I understand the complexities, and that it might not ever happen, but it would be awesome if Apple made the framework available so that other apps could also unlock via the watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. Here's hoping. :)

• dippnerd
    dippnerd
    Community Member

Wanted to come here to add my +1, this would be a great feature.

Are there any existing services that could be leveraged from iCloud or similar? I'm wondering if the user could generate a token at setup on macOS, it get stored using private encryption only 1Password knows, then pass that encrypted token via Push Notifications (or something similar) to iOS, where it only decrypts the token when the user authorizes via Touch ID or an unlocked Apple Watch, then passes back another token to macOS using the same encryption. Let me know if that even makes sense, as a dev I find it hard to describe this stuff in anything other than code :)

I have a few other ideas to throw around, as I'd love to help solve this problem. It would be a super handy feature, but I appreciate you guys not just rushing into it for sake of convenience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Though it's not something we're working on now, it's something we'll continue to explore when we have some spare cycles. Thanks for your interest! :)

• WinOrLose
    WinOrLose
    Community Member

Here's a +1 for a feature allowing an Apple Watch to AUTO unlock my iMac/iCloud 1Password Vault. Hopefully, there's a way to implement this unlocking without requiring a MacBook Pro (The TouchID hardware feature is found only on new MacBooks and newish-iOS devices. Right?) I would love to be able to unlock my 1Password vault at the same time I login to my iMac!

Could proximity based on bt signal strength to your Mac be used to determine when to lock and when to unlock as I've seen other iPhone/Mac lock/unlock app-pairs? Could a ruleset based on site-specific security requirements or user-selected security requirements be used to enable or disable features like Apple Watch auto-unlock to match risk tolerance? Thanks for listening!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WinOrLose: If you have a good example of an app that does something like this already, I'd be interested to see it. I loved MacID when it worked, but a lot of times it just didn't. Apple's implementation of Unlock with Apple Watch is much more reliable, but even that regularly fails for me. I think that just illustrates how hard a problem this is just from a usability standpoint. Those are also interesting ideas, but we really need to worry about security first. Thanks for your passion for this! :)

• WinOrLose
    WinOrLose
    Community Member

I don't have a better example than MacID - I liked that app! I had fairly good luck with it; it wasn't 100%, but what is? I think I should retract my request for a proximity-based feature though. Rather, a vault unlock feature closer to what Apple Watch does for MacOS. Thanks. Unrelated: I wish I could get my wife to use 1Password :-(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't have a better example than MacID - I liked that app! I had fairly good luck with it; it wasn't 100%, but what is?

@WinOrLose: I'm not knocking MacID. I think part of the reason we got features like this from Apple is because they (and others) showed what was possible. I just wish that how often it worked better matched how much I loved it when it did.

I think I should retract my request for a proximity-based feature though. Rather, a vault unlock feature closer to what Apple Watch does for MacOS. Thanks.

That's fine. Frankly, we shouldn't get too caught up in planning how something like this should work unless it's technically feasible and secure.

Unrelated: I wish I could get my wife to use 1Password :-(

There may be hope yet! Honestly, the best way to get someone to improve their security by using 1Password is to help them set it up and show them how easy it is. For example, you should check out 1Password Families if you haven't already. If you setup an account for the free trial, you can invite your wife and share a vault with her. All she needs to do is choose a Master Password and login on her device(s) to access the data. If she forgets her Master Password, as the family Organizer you can help her recover her account. She can then easily access anything you share with her, and I bet eventually she'll want to share something with you as well. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.