Password Generator->Fill to change password, and 1Password never saved it, no Passwords option

I updated my gmail account password using Password Generator, I believe on November 19. I believe this was saved as a login, which shows November 19 as the creation date. However, the last modification date is December 17, and it appears that on that date my previous (no longer valid) password was re-saved over the correct login. I am now locked out of my Gmail account. I thought that I could go into the Passwords Category to see a history of passwords generated by the Password Generator, but there is no Passwords Category showing in my app - only Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, and Identities. Do I have any options for viewing a history of generated passwords or otherwise recovering my previously stored password?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Password Generator->Fill to change password, and 1Password never saved it, no Passwords field in app

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @karasavespaswords,

There is a password history and it's built directly into the Login item. If you view the Login item you should see a button titled show previously used passwords which will allow access to the complete list of passwords saved in this Login item.

To help us try and understand what might have happened can you describe how you used the Password Generator please. We have a page, Change your passwords and make them stronger which shows how we expect people will use 1Password to help them change a password but I have seen a few instances where people will edit the Login item and generate a new password directly inside the Login item screen. They save this new password and then go change the password on the site. Something odd is happening if this path is used and you then also accept 1Password's offer to update the password as it does overwrite the new password the user just saved in the Login item with the previous one. Is this what you were doing by any chance or were you following steps either similar or identical to the ones on that page I've included a link for and then something else went wrong?

• karasavespaswords
    karasavespaswords
    Community Member

This all happened about a month ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but to use the password generator I always use the extension, press fill, and then indicate to OnePassword to save the new login when the popup comes up. The reason I believe OnePassword originally saved the password is that a few minutes later that night I was somehow able to access the new password and put the information in my cell's email app. However, for this Gmail item there is no "show previously used passwords" button like I see for others.

• karasavespaswords
    karasavespaswords
    Community Member

Is there any other possible way to see passwords that were generated by the Password Generator? There used to be a way to see passwords that had been generated but not saved as logins?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

You can always see passwords that were generated in the main 1Password application's Passwords section. If you click "Fill" or choose to copy the password, the password should be saved there for you. If 1Password's extension doesn't have a good connection to the main application or you generated the password with an app active that does not support extensions, the password will be saved with the name of the app and the website set to an app: URL like this:

Does that help point the way?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• karasavespaswords
    karasavespaswords
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

In the past it was clear to me what the Password section of the app was, but the attached image is what it looks like now. I don't see a field that displays Passwords. Any ideas? Thanks!

Removed by AgileBits as a precaution to ensure privacy

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @karasavespaswords,

I hope you don't mind that I removed the image you attached. Certain information was visible that I didn't feel comfortable being visible in our public support forums. It may be you feel differently but just on even the smallest possibility you didn't realise how many usernames and email addresses were visible I've removed the image as best I can.

Your "fuzzy" recollection would seem to indicate you've followed what we hope is the natural path so it's about trying to understand what went wrong.

I see a couple of possibilities worth checking out, just to make sure we don't overlook anything.

1. Can you enter 1Password's preferences please and switch to the All Vaults tab. In the Vaults Included setting are all vaults selected or do you have a subset of vaults selected? The reason I ask is the image you had in your post displayed the All Vaults view. This means you have two or more vaults and it could be the All Vaults view isn't showing you all the vaults, the very purpose of this setting is to help filter the All Vaults view but if this is realised or not set up as you thought it could hide items that exist in one of your vaults.
    2. It could be worth looking in the Trash (but note that 1. applies to the Trash too). This will require a bit of an explanation so please bear with me.

When you use the Password Generator in 1Password mini it does indeed create Password items as soon as you fill or copy. It's intended as a safety net, just in case 1Password doesn't recognise the change password form. If 1Password does correctly offer to update a Login item (or at least offer to save) and you let 1Password do so it will delete the Password item as the password is now properly saved inside a Login item. It matches a Password item if the domain matches (something saved in a Password item when it's created because of 1Password mini) and the password matches. If 1Password doesn't offer to save the Password item is left alone to continue as a potential safety net. Now on the password change form it's possible 1Password thinks there is something to save but doesn't realise it should be asking to update. If you saved a new Login item this would also cause the Password item to be deleted for the same reason, the password is now stored in a much more useful Login item but of course it would mean the real Login item still holds the old password.

So after confirming that All Vaults either is showing you all the vaults you have or by visiting each vault in turn to ensure all are checked, can you try looking for items based on the search text google.com. This should limit results to items based on the Google domain but will show not just a gmail Login item but if an item has been saved at https://myaccount.google.com/security, the subdomain Google have their password change form on which differs from the subdomain you log into which is https://accounts.google.com/. Searching your vault will not include the Trash so you will need to search this separately.

Does any of this information help locate anything that might help with your Gmail account?

• jjman2020
    jjman2020
    Community Member

I need help with the same problem listed above. I don't see a clear area where i can request support or fill out a new ticket. I don't really know how to request help, so i will do so here in this thread seeing that I have the very same problem. There seems to be a major glitch in 1Password pertaining to saving my updated passwords. I go to a website where i need to create or change a password. I generate a new password, and them am prompted to save the new password for the given website. I have found that when i check out the new password, it has not been updated and is the old password, and I am now locked out of my account, and have to reset my password. Why is my password manager, not managing my passwords by updating the newly generated passwords into the correct entry?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @jjman2020,

Before we can start we will need to learn certain details about your setup.

1. What operating system do you use?
    2. What version of 1Password do you have?
    3. What is your preferred browser and the version of this browser?
    4. What version of the extension do you have installed?

These are just to give us a base to work from. I would also be curious to know if 1Password is correctly filling pages in general when you use 1Password mini which you can access when you click on the 1Password Browser Extension button in your browser. These will allow us to begin visualising what might be happening and we can take it from there.

• jjman2020
    jjman2020
    Community Member
    1. Mac OS version 10.12.3 (16D32)
    2. 1Password build number/version is 6.6.4
    3. Google Chrome
    4. Extension 1Password Manager and Secure Wallet version 4.6.3.90
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @jjman2020,

Thank you for that information. Here is what I would next like to learn. I'm going to use Amazon for my example because I have a test account that I routinely use to check new versions of the extension and Amazon is a popular site that many have an account with.

1. I log into my Amazon account using 1Password to confirm the current Login item is valid.
    2. I navigate to the change password form.
    3. As a Mac user, I use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ to bring up 1Password mini and with my Amazon Login item highlighted, I use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘C to copy the password in the stored Login item. If you're more a mouse user you can achieve the same outcome by first clicking on the 1Password Browser Extension button in the browser, hovering the mouse over the Login item so that the Item Details bubble opens and clicking on the password to copy it to the MacOS clipboard.
    4. Paste the current password into the correct field.
    5. I use ⌥⌘\ to bring up 1Password mini and select the Password Generator menu option. I click the Fill button to have 1Password fill the remaining two empty fields with the new password. As soon as I click Fill this causes 1Password to create a Password item that stores the generated password and as I did so from inside the browser the Password item will reference Amazon. This can be verified by switching to the main 1Password Window before you click the change password button on Amazon's change password page.
    6. Clicking the change password button will cause the 1Password - Save Login window to appear and it should default to the Update Existing tab with an Amazon Login item selected. If you have more than one matching Login item to this site you need to verify that the correct one is selected. The selected item is determined by vault and alphabetical ordering, not by how recently a Login item was used. Clicking the Update Existing button will cause 1Password to update.
    7. If the password recognised as the new password is found stored in a Password item and the domain matches the Password item is removed. Its purpose as a safety net is complete. The item will be found in 1Password's Trash if necessary.

So I envisage a couple of possibilities:
    1. Whatever prompt you received came from the browser. If you updated a password in the browser and not 1Password that would result in what you're seeing. We recommend any autofill in the browser is disabled and we have a page, Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser on how to this.
    2. Your vaults contained more than one Login item for the site in question and one of the others was altered. The easiest way to see if this is the case is to search based on the domain of the site and then check the last modified time stamps of the various items returned. If you find another was modified around the time and the intended one wasn't you may need to make use of the password history present in every Login item to copy the password from the wrongly altered one to the correct one and then revert the wrongly altered one back to its previous password.
    3. The site in question had an odd password change form and 1Password didn't do a great job of correctly identifying the new password. If this is the case there should still exist a Password item with the new password and it should display the new password that wasn't saved. Manually updating the Login item should work and then you will need to manually delete the Password item once you've confirmed the Login item is good again.

1Password works best when a password change form asks for the old password once, and a new password twice. We're seeing a wider range of designs now and we hope to improve 1Password's ability to correctly detect and handle these more relaxed or unusual designs. The detection rate should still be reasonable but we purposely keep this safety net of the Password item just in case.

Does anything here help and possibly explain what you observed?

This discussion has been closed.