Dark mode option? Photophobia condition and a general rant

gregg12
gregg12
Community Member

Good day.

I have been a user of 1password for a few years now. although i never post here, i have emailed directly with a couple of issues. I'm not one to complain or make demands although we all have our idea of the perfect password app, and it can be disappointing and infuriating when the developers seem to ignore you. No app is perfect and even competitor apps arent perfect. 1password is not perfect and I can count myself as one of those "google drive supporters" and I would also lose my mind when I'd see responses from the team saying "we hear you"and "thanks for the vote"and "we'll pass on the info to the developers" etc etc. Same goes for the whining about the subscription model which I also agree is a little high (special discounts should be given to legacy and standalone users as 1password wouldnt be where its at if it wasnt for our $40 or $50 purchases). But I have accepted that certain app companies do what they need to do for better profits. Its a business world and a dog eat dog world. I've accepted there will never be google drive sync and discounts or incentives for us standalone users to change.

My only major issue is now that I have developed a condition. I've had mild photophobia for a couple of years and its become a lot worse in the last 6 months. I've started wearing special glasses and my laptop and cellphones are always dimmed to the lowest as possible. My saving grace are apps with dark modes. To cut a long request short, I sincerely hope that 1password developers take this seriously as dark modes are not only popular but also helps people like me with eye conditions. I hope this is something that will be implemented as quickly as possible mainly on the android platform as i use that more than my mac. I also beg that you won't respond with an "ï'll pass your request to developers answer" or "we hear you and will think about it". You did well with the chrome extension so shouldnt be hard to implement.

Thanks for hearing me out and hope to have a solid and straight forward answer like "we are testing it on an internal build and should have something ready in a month". Great app by the way!

1Password Version: all latest ones
Extension Version: latest one
OS Version: 10.12.3 mac, android 6.0, ios 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Thanks for reaching out in the forum today, @gregg12! I'm so sorry to hear about your eye condition. I understand that it can sometimes sound insincere, but we really do listen to our users and take their feedback seriously. Ultimately, we're a small company with limited resources, and we can't always fit all feature requests into our development schedule, but we do give each one consideration before deciding whether it's feasible to add or not. That said, I have passed your feedback regarding adding a dark mode theme to our developers for their consideration. ref: OPA-1133

I'm sorry that I can't give you the definitive answer you asked for. We aren't testing it internally, and while we may add support in the future, I can't make any promises at the moment.

As to helping legacy users switch over to accounts, we'd love to see what we can do here. If you would please email us at support@1password.com, we'll be more than happy to look into it and see what we can do.

Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gregg12: I also really appreciated your comments here — and not just because I am a fan of "dark mode" features myself! I also love the accessibility and Night Shift features on my Apple devices, and am looking forward to similar options in Windows 10 in the next major update. I would love if Google added these to Android. They've had the options in preview releases before (in System UI Tuner), but so far they haven't made it into a final release. I really think this is the best solution, since it means more consistency for everyone — and less glasses swapping for you when going between individual apps that either do or don't have the feature. But I do hope that we can support something like this in 1Password for Android in the future as well. Though I don't expect this will happen within a month and we can't promise for certain that it will be something we do, I hope you'll understand that we do care, even if we haven't dropped everything to build this kind of feature for you today. Thanks for your kind words, and for letting us know how helpful something like this would be for you. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gregg12: First of all, thank you for the kind words. I think I know how you feel. I depend on 1Password so much too. Thanks for your support, and it's definitely helpful to know that you're longing for not only a "dark mode", but also support for ChromeOS and Android wear. We don't currently have plans for these, but we always need to stay on top of where we can make a difference for 1Password users.

Going back to "dark mode" for a moment, I've played around with some 3rd party Android utilities that can filter the display system wide, but haven't quite found any yet that really satisfy me. It's a jungle out there, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I find a gem.

But I did also want to address your comments about "incentives" more fully. We're definitely not in a position to offer one or more years of 1Password.com membership free to everyone who purchased a standalone license. It just isn't sustainable for us to give away each new thing we work on for free...and as a long-time 1Password user, I'm sure you know that versions 5 and 6 of 1Password for Mac were free already to anyone who purchased a license for version 4. We put a lot of work into building 1Password.com, and the only way the math works out is by charging for it. But we actually ran several big early adopter promotions (and others) over the past year as we launched 1Password Families, 1Password Teams, and individual 1Password.com memberships anyway. They were great deals, but they were for a limited time.

But you're right: we didn't offer these only to existing customers; instead, we decided to offer them to everyone. Logistically, it would have been more complex (both for users and for us) to set things up so that only existing customers got the deal. And what if you lost your license information or our system doesn't recognize you for some reason? I can't imagine you'd feel great about the "incentive" then. We'd effectively be setting some of our loyal customers up for failure and frustration, just to prevent others from getting a deal. That seems pretty crappy for everyone. When anyone can get the deal, everybody wins (if they want to, anyway), and this doesn't mean that existing customers get it worse (or run into other issues).

I’m really sorry if you feel put out by us offering early adopter benefits and other promotions to everyone, and I can definitely sympathize. I think it's only human to relish getting something special that not everyone gets. For example, I repeatedly purchase hardware and software only to see them discounted later! But I think it's also important to pause and be thankful for what we do have, and realize that someone else being able to enjoy the same benefit in a case like this doesn't detract from what you have, and doesn't have to feel bad either. There’s a cost involved, but also a benefit. You’ve been able to use 1Password for years. Some folks are just starting out, and we want to make it easy for them to secure their digital lives too. And as Peri already mentioned, we'll be happy to see if there's anything we can do to help in your case if you'll shoot us an email with your purchase details. Post the Support ID you receive here and we'll take a look. It's just no good discussing sensitive information here on a public forum. Cheers! :)

• Atomdrift
    Atomdrift
    Community Member

I came here to cast my measly vote for dark mode, and was happy to see this thread already started, although disappointed to see so many words written which essentially say "No."

I sympathise with the whole small team situation at Agilebits, but in this day and age, if adding an optional colour palette for a dark mode is deemed so difficult that it is not even on your developers' roadmap, something is wrong:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/04/10/dear-world-please-copy-twitter-add-night-mode-apps/

I, too, am a long time supporter and promoter of 1Password, but this current trend towards developing new revenue streams instead of solid basic features has me no longer feeling good about it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Atomdrift: I don't think anyone's saying it would be too difficult, only that saying yes to this now would mean saying no to something else we're already working on. And while I can appreciate that a "dark mode" feature is very important to folks in this discussion (myself included), we really need to prioritize things that help the greatest number of users. Over time, we'll continue to evaluate things, and it may be that this one "bubbles up to the surface" more in the future. But right now, this isn't something we're able to work on.

This discussion has been closed.