New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• L0j1k
    L0j1k
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I mean... "When it's ready" isn't a bad answer. I've been a programmer for twenty years, so I really understand it. But are we looking at a handful of days? A handful of weeks? A handful of months? Longer? It doesn't seem like there is some kind of API that would allow me to write my own client, is that right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@L0j1k: We don't currently have a public API, but it's something some companies have been asking for. It may be something we can offer in the future, and perhaps the CLI app can be used as a step towards that. I'm sorry I don't have a specific timeline for you. There are a lot of different elements involved, so it's impossible to predict. Frankly, this is why we typically don't talk about these things until they're ready for release. :tongue:

• rek2
    rek2
    Community Member
    Options

Please my company just moved to 1password from lastpass but some of us in are bump that there is no linux support in 2017!!! when most if not all apps have support! even there are 5K games on linux thanks to steam.. what is the hold up? are you guys in 2005?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rek2

We're in the process of building a command line interface that'll be available on Linux.

Thanks!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I dunno. If "most if not all apps" were available for Linux, I might consider using it full time. ;)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes, I run Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office natively on my Linux box all the time ;)
    Jokes aside.

@rek2 Instead of being "mad" at AgileBits, I would rather ask your employer why they switch such an essential piece of software without assessing if everyone could run it.
    When you say, that your company is switching, I assume they will be using 1Password for Teams, so there should be at least a web interface for you. Of course you lose the comfort of not having a browser extension. I get that. But still it's something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, the web interface is nice, but I'm looking forward to the CLI app opening up many more possibilities. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Will there only be a CLI for Linux, or also for other desktop platforms?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@XIII: To be clear, it's not a sure thing. It's a research project we're working on, but we've canned projects before when they didn't work out. It's best to keep in mind that it's too early to say anything definitive, and if and when it's ready for release we should have all the details you want. :)

• k4ch0
    k4ch0
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have an ETA for this 1Password CLI??

Thanks for the info.

• Ben
    Options

No. :) As Brenty mentioned it is something we're toying with but it isn't necessarily anywhere near public release (and may not ever be).

When we have more information to share we'll publish an official announcement.

Ben

• zkanda
    zkanda
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I also just created an account to give an upvote for a Linux version, I'm interested for beta access as well if there's any.

Cheers!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @zkanda,

We don't have a beta yet (still too early) but thanks for letting us know!

Ben

• Juice805
    Juice805
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Upvote for Linux client! I'm currently using 1Password on MacOS, iOS, and Windows but trying to drop Windows completely for Linux. Hopefully a true client can be released so I can use my precious browser extensions.

Thanks for all the great work!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Juice805. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I dabbled with Linux 5 or more years ago and it left a lot to be desired back then. But if Agilebits is there in Linux then so will I, hopefully but I will look at Android before Linux. 1Password already has a presence in Android.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

It's something we're exploring too. Cheers! :)

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member
    Options

Hello awesome team!

We do need a solution for Linux, because between the old & ugly (sorry, but it is) 1P v4 under Wine, and the 1P v6 not working under Wine and only option if using subscription (unless you want to C/C everything from the Web - hint: nobody wants to do that), we're kinda stuck in VERY bad place.

"So who cares, Linux is like 1% of users, those people will prefer to die than to buy software. Or worse, pay for a software subscription!"

Well, yeah, but they are very vocal, and that's a major blocking point for people thinking they "MAY" - one day - use Linux. And for true Linux lovers, it's a deal breaker and they will push other solutions. For them, for friends, on forums, etc.

As a Mac / Windows user and long-time advocate of 1P (I'm a journalist, check geekzone.fr forum, we're speaking a lot about you), I do use Linux on older Mac and for fun (because it's my job to know a bit of everything) but a LOT of 1P lovers are Linux users for WORK and they are tired of feeling forgotten. They love 1P on Mac or Windows at home but the Linux problem is very real for them.

1Password was the perfect solution, it's still very good but you are moving too slowly on 2 very important points: Linux support - a REAL one (both with Dropbox & 1P Cloud), and Windows 1P v6 still not supporting Dropbox in writing mode.

I write this because I see long-time users switching to other solutions, not happy with them but even less happy with you. Some of them already regret their choice but it's still not good for your business and your brand.

Fix those 2 problems and you'll be on top again, and this forum will find peace. ;)

Thanks again for a great product but don't sleep on it. Your competition is very awake and pushing hard. Well, some of them are. And while I do know you're doing a ton of great work, I do feel you still have some time sensitive issues to solve.

Thanks for reading my 2cts. Have a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cafeine: Hey, you awesome person, you! :love:

I think that we're making really fast progress with the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app (it's really only existed for about 9 months), but you're right that we have more work to do there! Many of us here at AgileBits love Linux too, but as you've already astutely observed, we've really got our hands full with some other things currently. We're definitely interested in supporting Linux in the future, and if we can do that I have no doubt it will make folks like you happy and give us a sense of accomplishment. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! :chuffed:

• jshock
    jshock
    Community Member
    Options

I want to add my voice to the Linux mob. I believe there are quite a few of us out there who work on Mac, Linux, and iOS platforms, and are dying for decent, secure, cross-platform Password Manager. Please fast-track this!

• PhilSwn
    PhilSwn
    Community Member
    Options

Long time 1Password supporter here. My tech department is looking at offering a password manager. Poor Linux support is pushing us away from 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

I believe there are quite a few of us out there who work on Mac, Linux, and iOS platforms

I'm one of them. :) And I'm sure our ops folks would love to have Linux support too.

Long time 1Password supporter here. My tech department is looking at offering a password manager. Poor Linux support is pushing us away from 1Password.

Thanks for the feedback. Our 1Password.com services do include access from Linux via a web interface. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to offer a more native solution.

Ben

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    Options

Still no news?

Enpass is close on you and has stolen your design. :( Is this even legal?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChocolateCheesecake: Fair competition is always welcome. :)

If and when we have some news to share, you can keep up with AgileBits and 1Password by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements. Cheers! :sunglasses:

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@brenty Of course I am already subscribed to the newsletter. But it announces older things than my beta updates. :p

• Ben
    Options

:)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha fair enough. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

So I meat a guy who is a Linux genus. I was told he's like the 3rd lunix guru or something in the world. Not sure if it's true, but it was so awesome talking to him.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think I'm somewhere around the 3 billion mark. :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.