Interesting observation about Apple ID

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Lounge

I have had multiple Apple IDs for some time but because I had them saved in 1Password, I was able to login in. No surprise there.

What was surprising was that I was able to login to an Apple ID using a formerly associated email that shouldn't have worked anymore but did. I entered the wrong password sufficiently until the Account became locked. Prior to the account locking entering the "wrong email" worked. Recovery did not work as the address was not found (already disassociated).

A source of confusion was that I have both local and 1Password.com showing duplicate IDs and All Vaults will display the vaults from both Web App and Dropbox.

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem

Perhaps I am not understanding the scenario perfectly, but this seems to be something that is not related to 1Password. 1Password simply stores your login information; if you are able to login to a website using an old set of credentials, it means that this is allowed on the service provider's side of things. Have you perhaps contacted Apple about this? They might be able to shed some light into this.

Daniel

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi,

I will call them tomorrow. @prime mentioned the Apple iCloud extortion case so I thought I would mention it here as well. It may have some relevance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah there have been some odd issues with old Apple IDs / iTools / .Mac / MobileMe accounts over the years. I'm sure Apple can help though. They have a lot of experience with this. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I hate that I have to use a 3 party email address for my Apple ID. I started with yahoo, then switched to gmail, then outlook (at this time Apple launched @icloud email addresses), and I can't used my iCloud email code my Apple ID. I still have movies on my computer that says my old @gmail address.

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

Hey @prime

Are you sure about this? I wasn't aware of any limitations in the type of email addresses you could use as your Apple ID. But maybe I just missed this update :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@DanielP I am 100% sure about this. I've talked to support, other people, and it cannot be done.

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

I guess you never stop learning, thank you for the update @prime :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@DanielP,

My experience with the iCloud email is, after setting up my Apple ID and adding iCloud in the iPad, is that my iCloud email is just an alias to the Apple ID email that i used. I haven't looked at the iCloud email lately.

Thank you @Prime for your input as well.

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the clarification @wkleem, much appreciated ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I just tried again (I do this once in a while) to change my email from outlook to iCloud, still won't let me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime, @DanielP: As I understand it, icloud.com/me.com emails can be used if that's how the account was created, but you cannot change an existing non-icloud.com/me.com Apple ID to use one of those addresses. I have both: one Apple ID using a personal address I've used from the beginning, which is where all of my iTunes/App Store purchases are as a result, but I also use a second icloud.com/me.com Apple ID for iCloud itself. I think the reason for this is that each icloud.com/me.com account you sign up for is itself an Apple ID + iCloud account, so you can't attach one of these addresses to an existing Apple ID/iCloud account, because then you'd have the same email address pointing to two Apple IDs/iCloud accounts: the one you created using that email address originally, and another which was using a 3rd party address previously. I hope this makes sense, because I'm not sure I've done a great job of describing this. :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

I've been on the phone with Apple to get the 2 Factor turned on for my accounts. Because I used Password Generator and could not answer the security questions over the phone as it wouldn't make sense, Apple Support could not do much for me as they couldn't verify my identity :)

I will be calling them back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's a bit roundabout if you've already setup your security questions using a character-based random password, but you could always change them and use word-based instead. That should make it easier if you have to call in the future. :lol:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty you are correct. This is why when I know someone who just gets into the Apple eco system, I tell them to get an iCloud email. Even if they never use the email, they can use it as a login/user name. So much easier IMO. In the last 8-10 years I switched my email 3 times, and my Apple ID tied to my email address, it's a pain!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I had to verify my daughters iTunes/Apple ID once because I didn't have the answers (this was way befor 1Password and 2SA). The lady at Apple support told me to go on iTunes on my MacBook under her Apple ID and put in my credit card number. I was able to verify the last 4 of the credit card with Apple support and all was good. Not sure if this still works with all the extra security these days.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Ah, interesting. On a side note, I'd love to hear how someone from Apple support explains this. It has to be better than the way I described it. :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Having an iCloud email means you will have to originate from a Mac or iOS device, something I never bothered to do. I never set it up as it isn't compulsory.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@wkleem, true. But if a person is new to Apple and buying their 1st Apple product, it's not a problem at all to do this.

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

@brenty: this makes perfect sense actually. An iCloud account is also an Apple ID, so it wouldn't make sense to attach it to an existing Apple ID.

The reason why I was confused at first is because I was absolutely sure I had seen Apple IDs with an icloud.com domain before, so there was something missing from the picture there, and I think your explanation nailed it.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

DanielP, what I am not seeing is the ability to automatically create the Apple ID with the iCloud email or perhaps I have overlooked something? I will have to recheck on my Mac or iOS device as I am primarily on Windows now. It appears that the iCloud email creation must come before the Apple ID.

Like if I restore my device in DFU mode. I am going to try it with one of my iPhones.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@DanielP if a person just buys an iPhone and never had an Apple ID, when that person sets up their iphone, they can make an iCloud email during set up as thier Apple ID. So this is how people get an iCloud email as thier Apple ID.

@wkleem Apple IDs been around since the 1st iPod, but people used actual user names as user names and not email addresss as user names like we have now. iCloud email came I think when the iPhone 4s came out. Before it was called iCloud, it was @me.com and it was a paid service at the time. Even before @me.com, it was @mac.com (also paid).

I just updated my iPhone to 10.3, so some of the settings changed. On 10.3:
    Setting some>
    Your name (at the top)>
    iCloud>
    Turn mail on (from there it will ask you to make an @icloud email address)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah that's the confusing thing. If you sign up for an account either at the website or somewhere else (I think this can be done in device settings), that's an Apple ID. It looks like they've made this clearer than I remembered, since it says "Don't have an Apple ID? Create yours now." If you do that, the resulting email address can't be used with any other Apple ID because it is one itself.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty this is why if I know someone who is new to Apple and just got an Apple device, I'll tell them and show them how to set up their Apple ID as an iCloud email. It's just so easier to do this way. The only reason why I have an @outlook email is because of my Apple ID. I find it so stupid and frustrating that Apple will not let me use my iCloud email as my Apple ID.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@prime,

I remember when the email was initially free under iTools, I think, then it went to .mac and to .me (both paid) and now iCloud. That was a long time ago and I never signed up to any of those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MobileMe#iTools

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I find it so stupid and frustrating that Apple will not let me use my iCloud email as my Apple ID.

@prime: Well...they will, but there's no way to migrate purchases from one to the other. I hope they make that possible someday. :unamused:

I remember when the email was initially free under iTools, I think, then it went to .mac and to .me (both paid) and now iCloud. That was a long time ago and I never signed up to any of those.

@wkleem: Yeah this isn't Apple's first time around the track here. But iCloud seems tohave some longevity finally. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty what I don't get is, I can switch from yahoo to gmail to outlook and no issues, but not to iCloud? I tell them this and I get "well you can log into stuff using the iCloud email" and I tell them "well I have to keep my outlook email for what reasons?"

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

@prime It's possible this is because iCloud is more than an email account, and in this specific case, it also includes an Apple ID, as Brenty mentioned earlier in this discussion. So while this probably doesn't make sense right away if you think about it, if this is indeed why this is happening, then I kinda get it.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@DanielP I guess, but it's annoying! I remember about 2 years ago that Tim Cook said they were working in this issue. I guess I'll keep waiting and hoping.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It hurts my brain a bit, but I think Daniel said it best:

Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty Ok, I'll take that as a reason. I wish I could find the article that Tim Cook said they were working on this.

This discussion has been closed.