1Password and Ubuntu

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@left_to_use_keypass: Fair enough, but keep in mind that 1Password.com has a GUI you can use even in browsers on Linux. Wine isn't very long to setup, but certainly logging into 1Password.com is quicker. :)

• jakswa
    jakswa
    Community Member
    Options

Another linux user here, getting tired of keeping the web UI in a chrome tab and going back and forth copying/pasting passwords. Please make the chrome extension work on Ubuntu/Linux!

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@left_to_use_keypass A command line version would be cool, maybe just an API so we could make our own tools. But I guess the security of that may get a little hairy. My vote is still for cross platform browser extension.

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@jakswa I 100% agree with you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It sounds like a standalone extension would work for a number of you. I hope we'll be able to do something like that down the road, as I know it could benefit users on multiple platforms. :)

• 1password_enthusiast
    Options

Having TRIED and failed to use the latest 1Password Beta on Windows, and having no support for Linux, what you REALLY need is a solid Chrome / FireFox extension. Then you'd be platform independent and we'd all be happy.

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@1password_enthusiast You are correct, we would all be really happy with a solid platform independent browser extension! Let's get it done @brenty! ;)

• Yea brenty... hop to it! :)

Rick

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion haha, you should give him a hand with the project. ;)

All joking aside... we really really want this. :)

• Hi @aaronellington - Thank you for letting us know this is an important feature for you. We appreciate the feedback. Let us know if you have any additional questions and enjoy the rest of your day! :-)

• johnbillion
    johnbillion
    Community Member
    Options

Here's another vote for a 1Password client for Linux. I'm one of those people who's feeling that the new MacBook Pro is a huge mis-step by Apple. I'm considering switching to a Dell XPS with Ubuntu and assessing which of the software I currently use is available for Linux or has decent alternatives.

1Password is one of the missing ones, and it's a big one. I use 1Password all day every day and I'd hate to give up on it.

I'll also give my vote to a crowd funding or similar to help toward its development.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@johnbillion - Thanks for putting down your vote. we appreciate your input! Have a fantastic day! :)

• alexthekone
    alexthekone
    Community Member
    Options

I'll +1 what @johnbillion said, and cast my vote for something linuxy.

@brenty A native browser extension would be lovely! Extra +1! :p

This is diagonally related. Right now I'm sort of sad to use the OSX thick client while the our company is gearing up with Duo 2FA (I rock U2F, yay for PAM!). I mean, you can't enforce 2FA on the thick client? :'( Saddens me every time I unseal my vault with password only.

Just to see 2FA enforcement, I would be glad to see everyone using the web UI... which would get us closer to a unified, cross-platform client! ;)

With all that said though, I'm very happy with 1password in general. Kudos to you guys!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll +1 what @johnbillion said, and cast my vote for something linuxy.
    @brenty A native browser extension would be lovely! Extra +1! :p

@alexthekone: Noted. And bonus point for "Linuxy". :lol: :+1:

This is diagonally related. Right now I'm sort of sad to use the OSX thick client while the our company is gearing up with Duo 2FA (I rock U2F, yay for PAM!). I mean, you can't enforce 2FA on the thick client? :'( Saddens me every time I unseal my vault with password only.

Honestly it may be a bit early given that Duo is a beta Pro plan feature in 1Password Teams, but that sounds like a good candidate for a separate discussion for a feature request. For the aforementioned reasons, this is a bit niche, but it may be something we can explore for the future.

Just to see 2FA enforcement, I would be glad to see everyone using the web UI... which would get us closer to a unified, cross-platform client! ;)
    With all that said though, I'm very happy with 1password in general. Kudos to you guys!

Now that is a really cool point that ties it all together. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• cbetta
    cbetta
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a Linux client without a native app, just using the browser extensions and 1Password.com. Before passwords were stored with 1Password.com a client was necessary locally for serving the keychain, but now that this can be hosted in the client I could imagine my Chrome extension talking straight to your server, eliminating the need of Linux client.

Would this be possible?

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@cbetta I really like that idea and I really hope that they get around to doing it for us! :+1:

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @BamaStangGuy ,

This is something we're currently discussing. We'd definitely like to get a linux version out. One possible solution we've talked about is instead of building a full linux client, just to build the browser integration and integrate with your 1Password.com account. We've already started work on a command-line 1Password.com interface as well, which is currently in testing (not what you asked for, but it does run on Linux!)

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,
    Steven

• aaronellington
    aaronellington
    Community Member
    Options

@ssorka AWESOME! If you need any help alpha/beta testing the command-line version I would love to sign up for that!

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the offer! I'll pass this along. :)

• jdavisOSXGroup
    jdavisOSXGroup
    Community Member
    Options

I hope this command line version will work with locally stored vaults as well. The browser plugin is the really important part to have 1P be useful on linux. I don't even use the full app on Mac just the browser plugin.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @jdavisOSXGroup - Our main focus right now is making sure our 1Password memberships have a rock solid user experience. We appreciate the feedback and interest in using our browser extension on Linux. I don't have a timeline to share with you at the moment but thank you for taking the time to let us know this is important to you.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    Options

@ssorka : Brilliant! The browser extension integrated with 1password.com is exactly what i'm looking for. Also put me down for beta testing the CLI app too :) Thank you and the whole team for listening to the community

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rs_saunders: Just to clarify, this won't enable you to use the browser extension on Linux. Thanks for letting us know you'd like to test the CLI app once it's ready though! :)

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@brenty: I'm not sure I follow. To quote @ssoroka:

"One possible solution we've talked about is instead of building a full linux client, just to build the browser integration and integrate with your 1Password.com account.".

If that isn't allowing me to use the browser extension to auto fill passwords and credit card info on linux, then what does it mean?

I realize that would be separate from any Command Line Interface app, is that just what you meant? Is one being worked on but not the other?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

@rs_saunders: Right. As Steven said, we've talked about it. That's all. It's also been discussed here on the forums (just a few posts up there are mentions). If we end up building a standalone extension, it will be a lot of work and potentially mean making some compromises. The CLI app is a thing that actually exists though, so we're focused on finishing that for now. :)

• ashneo76
    ashneo76
    Community Member
    Options

If you ever come to the point of building a Linux standalone app, please look into: https://flatpak.org?

It is compiled setup binary like .msi for Windows or .dmg for Mac, with external dependencies pulled in automatically for specific platform. That way you guys can focus on the app and not packaging for each distro.

And I am super pumped about the CLI app! I would like to sign up for the CLI beta too. Thank you so much for listening to users and replying to their feedback consistently!!

• Frank
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @ashneo76 - Thank you for expressing interest in the beta and for the kind words :-) We will reach out to you shortly in regards to the beta and keep us posted if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help out. Have a nice weekend :+1:

ref: ATP-94922-823

• LyriCeZ
    LyriCeZ
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also like to sign up for the CLI beta as well when it becomes available. As a 1password user since '11 who started w/ it on Mac, switched to Windows, and now switching to Linux, I would be interested in having it for Linux. I'm using the 1password.com site currently, but it'd be nice to have an offline solution if need be like Windows and Mac have.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LyriCeZ: I don't think of it much since 90% or more of my 1Password use is in the browser (which sort of requires an internet connection), but you're right that the 1Password.com web interface isn't an option when you need to access data offline. We'll be sure to let everyone know when the CLI app is publicly available! :)

• danhopkins
    danhopkins
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic news that's there's some progress on Linux integration, just adding my +1 for the support. (It's also gratifying to see so much interaction with the forum community)

This discussion has been closed.