Sometimes it will take my password and other times it requires my old password

Options
chinamax
chinamax
Community Member

I have the latest version of 1password and the 1password extension. Sometimes it will take my new password that I use to connect with the web based version of 1Password. But, sometimes, for no apparent reason, that password will not work, but the old password i used to use prior to going to the web based version is the only one that will work.

Suggestions?
Thanks, Michael

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chinamax: It sounds like you may be running into some confusion due to multiple vaults and Master Passwords since you've been using 1Password for a while. As you can imagine, since we don't know your Master Password(s), there isn't much we can do to help. But if you'll give us a concrete example of steps you're taking and what you're using when it works and when it doesn't, we may be able to at least "reverse-engineer" what's going on logically to point you in the right direction. For example, it's clear that you have multiple Master Passwords in the first place, from using the standalone 1Password app with local vaults, perhaps for years, and now with a new 1Password.com account. If you haven't gotten rid of the Primary vault on some devices, then your "old" Master Password — the one you set for that — will still be required; whereas on a device where you're using only a 1Password.com account, that's the Master Password you'll need to use. We can walk you through setting things up more consistently across everything though if you'll let us know the OS, 1Password, and devices you're using. Thanks in advance! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed this is the weird thing. I got rid of the primary vault on my non-web 1Password. And it was working perfectly with the new web based password. Weirder still, it is only occasionally for a few hours or day want the old password, then it wants the new one.
    I'm truly puzzled.

You mentioned that there might be a device i own and use that has the old primary vault. Indeed, I just checked the old iPhone 5 I use as a business phone. It still has the old primary vault. But is it possible that it is causing the problem on my office iMac?

thanks
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chinamax: On its face, that doesn't seem to make any sense, but I'm sure there's an explanation for all of this. Frankly, it sounds like you may simply have multiple copies of 1Password with different setups: one with only a 1Password.com account, and the other which still has a Primary vault as well. If you're still having this trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device(s), reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report for each so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

I've deleted the primary vault from the suspect iPhone. Still having an issue.
    More interesting notes-- I frequently have to pair my browser with 1Password. After the pairing, sometimes I can use my new password, sometimes I have to use the old one.

I've sent a diagnostic report.

Hope we can find the solution!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chinamax,

Your "more interesting note" might actually be an important clue to what's going on - if you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you have multiple 1Password apps in there? If so, I think that explains the problem. My guess is that you have both the AgileBits Store version (1Password 6.app) and the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) installed at the same time. Each of those keeps a separate database on your Mac, and they're probably set up differently - one has only your 1Password.com account with the new master password, and the other still has your old Primary vault which requires the old master password.

That would also explain why you have to frequently authenticate the 1Password browser extension. The extension can only be authenticated to work with one of the apps at a time. So if (for example) it's working with the AgileBits Store version, but then you open/unlock the Mac App Store version, you'll be prompted to authenticate the extension to work with the Mac App Store version instead. Then the same thing will happen the next time you open the AgileBits Store version.

Let us know if you have both of those 1Password apps installed, and we can help you get things sorted out from there. Thanks! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

I think we are getting closer to a solution.
    Yes, that is exactly what is going on with the computer I have a problem with. But-- I also have both an app store version and agile bits store version on that computer too. But it does not cause me problems. Maybe because the computer with the problem with over 10 years old and a bit long in the tooth.

Anyway, I can see I need to get rid of one of the versions. In your opinion, which one should I keep?
    Thanks
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chinamax: First, I think it's important to establish where your data is. Open 1Password.app and view your vault, press ⌘ ⌃ Q to Quit 1Password and 1Password mini, then open 1Password 6.app and do the same, which has all of your data?

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it's getting more interesting--
    On my main computer it appears I'm using 1Password from the Apple App Store it has 736 entries in it. I've also got 1Password 6 from the Agilebits Store with fewer entries.
    On my office computer it appears I'm using 1Password 6 from the Agilebits Store, it also has 736 entries in it. The 1Password from the Apple App Store has fewer entries and more importantly--- requires the old password.

I suspect I should delete the 1Password 6 from my main computer. And the 1Password (Agilebits Store version) from the office computer. It should then synch from my main computer. Does that make sense?

We are really close to a solution here!
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chinamax: Since they're that close, you may want to list all of your items and click at the top to sort by Date Modified. That way you can see which has the more up to date information. You'll have a the items you've changed recently at the top, so you can see which is "correct"...or, more likely, you can see what you might have to copy from one to the other, if you've been switching back and forth between them. We don't want to do anything rash until we've established that you have all of your data in one place. Then we can go about cleaning things up so you don't run into issues in the future. Thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I've found my main computer that is most correct and have added a few log in's from the office computer. As of right now, the Apple App Store version of 1Password on my main computer is the one that is right.

What should I do from here, other than deleting the Agilebits Store version from my main computer? (And is there anything special I need to do in uninstalling it). My concern now is that the office computer can synch up properly to what I have on my main computer.
    Thanks
    Michael

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chinamax,

As of right now, the Apple App Store version of 1Password on my main computer is the one that is right.

Excellent! Now it should be pretty easy to get everything else sorted out. Just follow these steps:

On your main Mac:

1. To delete the AgileBits Store version, go to the Applications folder and drag the 1Password 6.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might accidentally delete your data).
    2. Double-click the 1Password.app file in Applications to open the Mac App Store version.
    3. Make sure you have all the most up-to-date copies of all your items in your Personal account vault.
    4. If you still have a Primary vault, switch to the Primary vault and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu bar.

On your office Mac:

1. Open the Applications folder to make sure you only have a single 1Password app there (if you have both versions installed, delete the AgileBits Store version as described above).
    2. Open the main 1Password app and make sure it's locked (if it's unlocked, click the padlock in the top right corner).
    3. Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data in the menu bar and follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. After resetting the app, set it up again by clicking the '1Password.com' option and signing into your account.

If all goes well, you won't have a Primary vault on either Mac, and you'll be signed into your account on both Macs (and should have all the same items on both). Let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

OK, apparently I've successfully solved this problem. I've now go the Apple Store 1Password on both my Macs, and the passwords are all there.
    I need a day or two of testing before I'm ready to close this thread

Thanks for all your help! Good to just about have this issue cleared up.

Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you got that sorted out. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

Yep. I've done some testing and everything is copacetic. Thanks again for an awesome product and excellent support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! And likewise, thanks for your support. We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of your awesome customers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.