Logins missing from my extension

Options

Hello. Suddenly, several of my logins are missing from my extension. I see that the logins still reside 1password app, but they do not populate when I start typing typing the website name in the extension. Strangely, they do not populate in the app when I start typing either. But when I scroll down the list, I see that the password exists for that particular website.
Any ideas what's going on with my extension?

Thanks,
Justin

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: os x 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @justingirves. Thanks for your post. It sounds like this is possibly related to search more than the extension. If you navigate to a page for which you have a Login stored and then click the extension toolbar button, do you see the Login suggested?

One possibility is that maybe your search criteria changed. If you open the main 1Password application and then click into the search field, there is a small triangle that appears next to the magnifying glass. If you change to Search All Fields, does it make a difference in your search results?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jamie,
    Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your quick response.
    I tried navigating to a page where I have a login stored, clicked the extension toolbar, and the login appears.
    I also opened the main 1Password application and changed the setting to Search All Fields. The search now seems to be working better in the application, but that doesn't seem to have carried over to the extension. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Justin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @justingirves,

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this one just yet but can you try something for me please. Can you select one of the Login items you're having trouble with and use the keyboard shortcut ⌘D to have 1Password duplicate the item. The duplicate will start off in edit mode with the text - Copy appended to the title. If you save, does 1Password find this duplicate where it wasn't finding the original?

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your suggestion. I made the copy in the app and saved it. It finds the copy in the app, but not in the extension.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justingirves,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. This is highly strange. I'd like to suggest performing a test using an example Login item I've created. I will include the item I've created so that you can also try it. Then we can compare the results to see if there is a difference in behaviour.

Step 1: Create the Test Login Item
    So the first step is to create the test Login item. 1Password can create a Login item from text in your Mac's clipboard if it is in the correct format. You can create the item by:

1. Copying the following text (highlight it, then right-click & copy): {"sectionName":"S","details":{"sections":[{"title":"Related Items","name":"linked items"}],"fields":[{"value":"sample_username","name":"username","type":"T","designation":"username"},{"value":"sample_password","name":"password","type":"P","designation":"password"}]},"uuid":"awv5scnunver7h4fbuze75h6vm","updatedAt":1489689746,"createdAt":1489689642,"categoryUUID":"001","overview":{"title":"Search Example Login","url":"www.samplewebsite.com","ainfo":"sample_username","ps":63},"URLs":[{"overview":{"label":"website","url":"www.samplewebsite.com"}}]}
    2. Switch to 1Password for Mac and from the menubar, click File > New Item from Clipboard (see screenshot below)
    3. You should now have the test Login item in your vault (see screenshot below).

Step 2: Ensure our search settings are the same
    In my case, I left my search settings at their default settings: "Search Major Fields".

Step 3: Test Searching in the main 1Password app
    Now let's see what happens when you search for samplewebsite in the main 1Password app. In my case, this is what I get:

Step 4: Test Searching in the 1Password Mini
    Finally, lets try searching for the same Login item in the Mini. This is what I found in my case:

Please let me know if you get the same results - if not please let me know and take a screenshot of your results. Be sure to not include any sensitive or personal information in these screenshots.

Looking forward to hearing back. Hopefully we can resolve this soon.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this issue!
    I ran the test, and I got the exact same results as you in both the app and extension.
    I have taken screenshots to show the behavior of the extension both when I am on the webpage that I am searching for with 1password, and when I'm not on that webpage. As I've mentioned before, the extension behaves as it should when I'm on the website I'm searching for, but the search doesn't work when I'm not on that particular website.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justingirves If you click the gear button to the right of the search field, what do you have selected, "Search Major Fields" or "Search All Fields"? I also see that you have used two different search terms. Does it behave differently if you search for the same text? Lastly, in the first screenshot, there is the "Show 3 more items" item below the "paypal TrollbeadsAkron" search result. If you click on it, does that show the items you're missing?

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

"Search Major Fields" is currently selected. However, I've already tried changing the setting to "Search All Fields" but this makes no difference. Sorry for the confusion with the two different search terms. It doesn't make any difference whether I type in the full search term, or just part of it. Either way, the behavior is consistent depending on whether or not I'm on the same webpage as the term I'm searching. Finally, selecting "Show 3 more items" simply adds three additional email addresses, not the website I'm looking for.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @justingirves,

Thanks for your reply, I think there might be some confusion. When you clicked "Show 3 more items" and saw email addresses, it sounds like you clicked the "Show more items" at the bottom of the 1Password Mini. However there are three "Show 3 more items" in your screenshot. I'll highlight the one that Jamie was talking about below - hopefully that will expand to show you the Login items you were expecting to see.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Matthew,

Good call! Yes, expanding the "show 3 more items" does in fact populate the logins I'm looking for. I wonder why the logins are now hiding here when they never were before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justingirves: Ah, great! Did you perhaps add more new ones there? That could push others to the back of the line, either because they are a less exact match, or just by virtue of there being a longer list now. Also, if you're at a different URL than the one saved in those items, they'll be relegated to the "more items" section there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @justingirves,

Given you supplied enough details I actually went and tested and this is all entirely reproducible. I don't understand why it is doing what it is, merely that it is. I will need to write a bug report up as something just feels wonky. If you rename the PayPal entry to just read PayPal and then search even just on the keyword troll it will only return the two Login items for the actual site. After a bit of poking and prodding I just don't feel like I understand its behaviour.

ref: OPM-4963

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justingirves,

Can I ask, are you still seeing the issue? I realise that may sound like an odd question but I was able to reproduce initially and now I'm seeing more sensible behaviour of all three Login items displaying even when searching just on a partial string. I see we're up to 6.6.3 now so I'd be interested in learning if you're running this version and whether you are still experiencing the problem.

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables,

Sorry about the tardy response here. The extension seems to be working fine, except for the fact that I have to expand the selections for many of my logins, e.g. when I enter "PayPal" there's a prompt to show 4 more items. This is a new behavior. Perhaps there's a way to adjust this in the settings?
    Yes, I am up to date on both the extension and the app.
    There's one more annoying behavior that I reported about a year ago, that was never fixed. I've decided to let it go, since nobody responded with a solution. Since you seem to know the software well, I'll share it with you. Often, when I'm on a website and click a link, the 1password search box expands. It seems that clicking a link, causing a new webpage to load, triggers the 1password dialog. However, it's not the Safari extension that opens, but rather from the icon in the top menu bar of my desktop. Please see the screenshot for an example.

Thanks,
    Justin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @justingirves,

So I have a couple of questions.

1. When you say clicking a link, are we talking about a bookmark or literally just a normal link as it would appear on the page?
    2. Have you ever seen any consistency, does it happen on the same site and if you repeat whatever led to it appearing will it appear again?

At the moment the only thing I can think of that would cause that is what we call a 1Click bookmark. It's based on how open and fill works and if 1Password was locked and a 1Click bookmark used it would result in the lock screen appearing like that. Anything else will be unusual and not something I've seen in the past. We'll certainly see what can be done to help though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justingirves: Also, there's one option in 1Password which has an impact on this: Preferences > Browsers > Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites. If you toggle that, does it revert to the behaviour you experienced previously? Was it on or off?

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

The behavior is extremely intermittent. In fact, it's acting perfectly fine at the moment, and it hasn't opened on its own in several days. When it is behaving in a wonky manner, the dialogue can open every time I click a link. And yes, to answer your question, the dialogue opens every time I click a link on a webpage, not a bookmark.

The checkbox that brenty mentioned is toggled off at the moment. I'll leave it that way for now, and try toggling it next time I see the problem.

Any ideas if there is a setting I can select to expand my search queries so that they are not nested in the "show x more items"?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justingirves,

Hopefully that wonky behaviour doesn't appear again but if it does let us know what you find out by toggling that setting.

As littlebobbytables mentioned, the scenario where you are only seeing one item in your search results for troll is reproducible for me on version 6.6.3 of 1Password for Mac. However on the latest version 6.6.4, it is now displaying all 3 test items that I have in my vault when I perform the same search which is better behaviour. I'm hoping that you'll also be able to see this change if you could update 1Password to that version too.

Please let us know what you find.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hi matthew_ag
    I'm currently running 6.6.3. I purchased 1password from the apple app store. It doesn't show any available updates there.

Thanks,
    Justin

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @justingirves,

Apologies, our latest version is currently being pushed to the Mac App Store and should be available to you within a day or thereabouts.

We distribute our 1Password app directly ourselves and via the Mac App Store. Since the Mac App Store version needs to be approved by Apple first it can take a little bit longer to get published. Hopefully you'll be able to check this out soon.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Matthew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justingirves: I got it a few days ago, so it's either yet to propagate in your region or the cache is a bit stale on your machine. It may help to manually refresh or restart your Mac. But no matter what you'll get it eventually. :)

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty. I'll give the restart a try.

Justin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

:) :+1:

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it was just yesterday, after I'd restarted for the macOS 10.12.4 update. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.