iOS users/iPhone users, hackers to remote wipe 300 million iPhones.

prime
prime
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Lounge

I know 1Password started as a Mac/iOS only, so I figured a lot of us have iOS stuff. I been seeing this and I thought I post it here so you all know to be read IF this happens.

http://thehackernews.com/2017/03/hacking-apple-icloud-account.html

Protect yourself. I would change you Apple ID password to be safe. Also, make sure you have 2 step authentication turned on. Here is a link on how to do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Two-factor authentication is definitely a good thing to enable for one's Apple ID. :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@khad sadly you can still access Find My iPhone even with that on.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

sadly you can still access Find My iPhone even with that on.

I have to enter my 6 digit 2FA code before being able to access it. You don't?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@XIII I do, but if you go on iCloud.com, you don't need the 6 digit for find my iPhone, so a person can remote wipe my iPhone.

Think about it, Find My iPhone... how would you enter a 6 digit passcode from your iPhone if you're looking for it (got stolen or lost it)? That's the only past of the iCloud.com that you don't need the passcode for 2SA, the rest of the website you do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: I didn't realize that, but it makes some sense. Thanks for the heads up! :dizzy:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@prime Do you have more Apple devices? (I do) They could generate the 2FA code.

Maybe that's why I had to enter my 2FA code just to login?

Will test again later today.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I have 3 total

Here is where you go for Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

See my amazing photoshop skills? :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
  • XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@primary I literally just found out before seeing your picture... Thanks anyway!

Guess I'm going to change my Apple ID password(s) after all (and ask my family members to do the same).

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@XIII no problem! Better safe than sorry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

See my amazing photoshop skills? :)

I am in awe. :lol:

But seriously, this has been both entertaining and informative. Thank you for bringing this up! :sunglasses:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty not a problem and anything to help people out. I love reading about this stuff :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Cheers! :) :+1:

I've been following this too, and it sounds like this is happening to folks who reused the same passwords for their Apple IDs with other accounts that were compromised. Another painful reminder why long, strong, unique passwords for each site are so important. :angry:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I'm willing to bet this is people who use the same password. @brenty, you mean people do that? Lol

• Sadly. :(

This discussion has been closed.