1Password Mini - Readonly Mode

SteveBarnard9457
SteveBarnard9457
Community Member

So I updated to the latest version using the App Store as I was getting the same error as described on the 1st page of the support pages.

After doing this I restarted my mac and applied the license key using the "retrieve my key" from the support page.
I then restarted my mac again - I am able to login to 1password and sync my value with dropbox - however the 1password mini says "read only - click here to buy". Obviously I am not going to buy a license again - but clearly something is out of whack...

1Password Version: 6.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @SteveBarnard9457,

Just to clarify...

You've purchased a license directly from Agilebits but are trying to run the Mac App Store version of 1Password?

That's not a strictly compatible way of doing this. You're going to want to run the direct download from our website at https://1password.com/downloads. The Mac App Store has a completely separate purchasing mechanism from our direct purchase licensing.

Rudy

• SteveBarnard9457
    SteveBarnard9457
    Community Member

Rudy, you were correct. I removed the version from the app store installed from the website. Applied the license - all is well now. So it was simply the wrong version.

Maybe worth while doing a check when applying a license from the "find my key email" to ensure that the correct version of the software was installed for the license that you have.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm happy to hear that helped! Hopefully we can make this clearer in the future to avoid confusion like that. Thanks for your feedback!

If you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

• UC_Guy
    UC_Guy
    Community Member

Our son bought a family license (5 computers, I think) in 2013. All these years we've been using that license and upgraded from Version 3 to 4, to 5 and recently to Version 6. Suddenly the edit button is gone, everything is "read only" and we can't add or change anything. His license still shows as attached. Is the family license no longer usable? Other than the passwords we already have, 1Password is now unusable for my wife and me. Steve or Drew, any help or suggestions? Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @UC_Guy,

It sounds like you purchased a license from our AgileBits Store. But if you recently started seeing a "read only" message, that means you recently downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store. A license from the AgileBits Store won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so you'll need to switch back to the AgileBits Store version.

First, go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag 1Password.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can accidentally delete your data). Next, download the AgileBits Store version of 1Password from our download site, then open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation and follow the steps. When you're done, find the new 1Password 6.app file in the Applications folder and double-click on it to make sure it works.

Hopefully it all goes well, but we're here for you if you have more questions about that. :)

This discussion has been closed.