Problems with the teamplay of 1Password, LaunchBar if CleanMyMac is running

Options
Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Hello, I use LaunchBar together with 1Password. I think it is a wonderful teamwork. But I found one problem for LaunchBar when CleanMyMac from MacPaw is running. So while CleanMyMac is running I get the error message "the integration of 3rd party apps is disabled".
The same message you will find here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/49244/integration-with-launchbar-indexing-issue-fixed-with-launchbar-6-6/p1

Some weeks ago I asked the support team of MacPaw but they told me...
We have reproduced the problem, and it shows that the problem is with Launchbar`s alert, which appears not as the result of CleanMyMac cleanup, but apparently because Launchbar poorly reads 1Passwords settings.

So as a 2nd step I asked the support team of LaunchBar but they told me the problem must be at 1Password because LaunchBar is reading a file at "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/3rd Party Integration/bookmarks-default.json" only.

So now I like to ask you if you maybe have any idea how I could resolve this problem. After some restarts of my Mac LaunchBar and 1Password works together again, but I would prefer if this bug no longer occurs.

1Password Version: 6.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1P account

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @Philipp,

Sorry for the delayed response here.

Starting with version 6.5.1, 1Password for Mac from our website stores metadata under ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password when Enable 3rd party app integrations is enabled in Advanced Preferences. This allows apps like LaunchBar and Alfred to search for items across all your vaults. The bookmarks-default.json file is also still generated, although remains limited to metadata for the Primary vault.

It's up to 3rd party apps to implement how they'll respond to removal of that metadata while Enable 3rd party app integrations is enabled in 1Password. In my testing (with 1Password 6.6.2), LaunchBar 6.8 reverts to indexing bookmarks-default.json if ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password has been deleted. If bookmarks-default.json is deleted while the other metadata exists, LaunchBar will continue to index the latter. And if both are deleted, it'll trigger the Integration with 3rd party apps is disabled in 1Password. alert from LaunchBar.

With that background, let's move on to your comments:

Hello, I use LaunchBar together with 1Password. I think it is a wonderful teamwork.

Happy to hear they're a useful combination for you!

So while CleanMyMac is running I get the error message "the integration of 3rd party apps is disabled".

Is CleanMyMac removing metadata from both locations? If only ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password, that wasn't enough to trigger the alert during my testing.

Some weeks ago I asked the support team of MacPaw but they told me...
    We have reproduced the problem, and it shows that the problem is with Launchbar`s alert, which appears not as the result of CleanMyMac cleanup, but apparently because Launchbar poorly reads 1Passwords settings.

Removal of 1Password's 3rd party app metadata, by any method, is going to have an impact on other apps' usage of it. There's no guarantee it won't be removed, somehow beyond 1Password, after 1Password generates it (and Enable 3rd party app integrations remains enabled).

So as a 2nd step I asked the support team of LaunchBar but they told me the problem must be at 1Password because LaunchBar is reading a file at "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/3rd Party Integration/bookmarks-default.json" only.

From Release Notes – LaunchBar 6 for Dec 21, 2016 LaunchBar 6.8 (6140):

Improved 1Password integration
    • It’s now possible to access all kinds of items (not only logins but also credit cards, secure notes, etc.) from all vaults.

That means LaunchBar is using the newer metadata from ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password; it's simply not possible when using Primary-vault-only metadata from bookmarks-default.json alone.

So now I like to ask you if you maybe have any idea how I could resolve this problem. After some restarts of my Mac LaunchBar and 1Password works together again, but I would prefer if this bug no longer occurs.

If there's a bug like you've described and been bitten by, I haven't been able to reproduce it so far under 'normal operating conditions' that include not removing 1Password metadata caches. You can force rebuilding them by toggling Enable 3rd party app integrations (disable/reenable) in Advanced Preferences.

1Password Version: 6.6

If really 6.6, you'll want to update to the latest version (6.6.2 at the moment). Also check that you've got LaunchBar 6.8 and all it's new goodies for 1Password integration. :)

Hopefully this is helpful and be sure to let us know if you've got other questions or concerns. Cheers!

ref: OPM-4827

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @sjk
    Thank you for your detailed clarification. I have not found this "bookmarks-default.json" on my Mac yet. But inside CleanMyMac I found out that this program is deleting the folder "/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password". But there is the option to uncheck this folder from deleting. So CleanMyMac is not deleting this folder anymore and the problem with LaunchBar is resolved.
    Thank you and Cheers!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @Philipp.

I have not found this "bookmarks-default.json" on my Mac yet.

1Password for Mac can store the bookmarks-default.json file in two locations.

AgileBits Store version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/3rd Party Integration

Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/3rd Party Integration

Enabling or disabling Enable 3rd party app integrations in Advanced Preferences how 1Password 'interacts' with it.

But inside CleanMyMac I found out that this program is deleting the folder "/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password". But there is the option to uncheck this folder from deleting.

Good to know; thanks for sharing that info.

So CleanMyMac is not deleting this folder anymore and the problem with LaunchBar is resolved.

Hurray! Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up that we can help you with. :+1::chuffed:

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk
    Sorry for answering so late: I have the MAS version, but there is no file or folder called "3rd Party Integration" under this path. Even after disabling and reenabling the option inside 1Password doesn't help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Philipp,

I have the MAS version, but there is no file or folder called "3rd Party Integration" under this path.

Which location(s) did you check? From my last reply:

1Password for Mac can store the bookmarks-default.json file in two locations.

AgileBits Store version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/3rd Party Integration

Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/3rd Party Integration

So you'll want to look in the latter. :)

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk
    I hope this is no security problem, but I share a screenshot. At the bottom of the picture you will see the path and above you will see there is not "3rd Party Integraton"

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @Philipp,

There's nothing sensitive in that screenshot I wouldn't similarly share publicly from my own Macs. :)

My bad for initially presuming (incorrectly) you were using our website version of 1Password for Mac. That being the case, here's some additional information:

• Confirm that Enable 3rd party app integrations is enabled in Advanced Preferences of 1Password.
    • Check that both of these folders exist and aren't empty:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password

• Make sure Prefer App Store version is enabled in the Options for 1Password Items in LaunchBar Index:

If either/both of the folders above are missing or empty:

• Disable Enable 3rd party app integrations in Advanced Preferences.
    • Press Control-Command-Q (to quit 1Password and 1Password mini).
    • Reopen 1Password, unlock, and reenable Enable 3rd party app integrations.
    • Recheck for the non-empty folders.

Normally when Enable 3rd party app integrations is enabled both non-empty folders will exist, then LaunchBar should be able to index metadata in them to use when searching for 1Password items. There will be trouble if CleanMyMac or something else is removing them so also be sure that's not happening.

Here's an example of those folders on one of my Macs:

% pwd; ls -l 3rd\ Party\ Integration
    /Users/agilebits/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library
    total 8
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 agilebits  staff  3682 Mar 27 10:10 bookmarks-default.json

% pwd; ls -l
    /Users/agilebits/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Caches/Metadata/1Password
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x  48 agilebits  staff  1632 Mar 27 10:06 14E94C9FABBF4B2A87E61905751EB1CA

Looking forward to hearing from you again, hopefully with successful results this time around. :)

This discussion has been closed.