Is offline (not connected to internet) extension authorization possible?

I have successfully used the classic 1Password application on a computer that is forever detached from the internet, until the extension authorization mechanism was introduced that is. Is there a way to authorize the extension without connecting to the internet, which isn't an option?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: None
Referrer: forum-search:extension authorization

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glbts170323: No. The browser extension loads a webpage from our site which is then customized to authenticate the connection to the app. As you can imagine, we've designed the 1Password extensions with using them in the web browser itself in mind (and, by extension, internet connectivity). Can you tell me more about your use case? I'm having trouble imagining how the 1Password extension (or the browser itself) might be useful on a computer without internet. Maybe there are things we can take into account when we develop future versions. Thanks in advance! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glbts170323,

The page in question is static, the fact that it is hosted on our site a convenience because of how extensions work across the various browsers. It is possible to authenticate but it's convoluted and requires the machine can connect to at least one web server whether it is connected to the internet or not. It would require the ability to host the page and temporary altering of DNS, say through a hosts file but it is possible. Like Brenty though, I'm trying to imagine how much need there would be for our extension on an isolated machine. I'm quite curious to learn and better understand how 1Password is being used :smile:

• glbts170323
    glbts170323
    Community Member

Hi,

To clarify. I'm using the plugin on a computer on an intranet that is very much separate from the internet. Having 1Password to keep track of and generate passwords for various servers is a great help in my everyday work.

@littlebobbytables, I do have a bunch of local web servers that I control and would happily deploy whatever would be necessary to perform authorization. Since I'm also in control of the relevant DNS server I can perform some trickery there as well, even though an SSL certificate may not be one of them.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @glbts170323,

I'm going to email you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.