Uninstalled old version ... but did I really?

Options
gorham
gorham
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The title is cryptic but I didn't know how to label it. I wanted to uninstall my older version of 1Password (version 1). I've used version 4 since its inception but was unsure how best to remove the older one. I still am. I tried using uninstall from control panel. It wouldn't let me because version 4 was running. I've been nervous that uninstalling one would bother the other so I didn't pursue that. I also didn't dare turn Revo loose on it; I know it would have tried to mess with version 4's registry entries.

So I went where I probably should have started and used the uninstall link in 1Password's start menu directory. That appeared to work. But. Both entries are still in the start menu. If I click on the version 1 shortcut, I do get version 4 but I don't know why. It seems some pieces of the program are in each version's directory.

This is how they still appear in my start menu with the targets displayed:

This is a screenshot of the directories side by side:

It seems that the Firefox extension is with version 1.

So questions abound. First, how to get the extension to version 4 and, second, how to get rid of version 1. Safely.

Sorry to be a bother. I should have been sure to get to version 4 when I was in safe mode. But I didn't and I'd rather not have to start over on the extension process if I can help it.

So I turn (as usual) to you. 8-)

-g.

1Password Version: uninstalled (but still there?) version: 1.0.9.342; actual version: 4.6.1.619
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Sync Type: none

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi again @gorham,

That does look a little weird to me.

Before you do anything, back up your 1Password data folder as mentioned here to an external drive.

What is strange is that when you install 1Password 4, it should've upgraded your existing 1Password 1.x installation, not create a separate one. That's why you may see the uninstaller try to uninstall 1Password 4, not 1Password 1.x.

When you uninstall the 1Password program, we do not remove your existing 1Password data. So it is safe to try to uninstall both copies of 1Password and then install the latest one from our site here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

Let's wait until you do this first before we talk about the extension, don't uninstall anything with the extension. Let me know if you see all of your 1Password data in the main 1Password program first.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. Backed up (I do this every day in two separate operations). All my data is in my main window (which carries the help-->about>4.6.1.619 version). I've backed up and scanned the latest which is 4.6.1.620. Interestingly, the program says it checked for update today but didn't offer the new version until I checked manually. Did it just get put up?

Anyway, I've backed up, checked my data and downloaded (but not installed) the latest version. The extension is fine in Firefox. It's also in Internet Explorer although the icon isn't; it appears in the right-click context menu and that's good enough since I don't use that browser and only rarely enter a passworded site. It's also fine (with icon) in Opera. And doesn't, as usual, appear at all in SeaMonkey. So. What next?

-g.

NB: Apparently I'm fond of parentheses today! Yikes!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gorham,

Yes, we've just recently released 4.6.1.620.

What next?

Check your browser's extension or add-on settings to confirm there is only one extension installed. The latest at this point is, 4.6.3. If you see previous extension version like 3.x, uninstall it.

If you only see the 1Password 4.6.3 extension, then you're all set to go.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

So I am indeed, all set to go. Uh. Go where exactly?

I think you said I'll need to uninstall both versions:

How do I protect the extension when I'm doing that?

After uninstalling (using windows installer), do I then just install 4.6.1.620 to its default location. It'll find all my data?

I know this is nit picky but I really want to do this right. And once.

-g.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gorham,

I did mention that it was safe to uninstall all 1Password copies first and then install the latest version. The waiting part was for the extension, they are not removed when you uninstall 1Password.

Here's the next step:

1. Uninstall all copies of 1Password in your Control Panel
    2. Install the latest 4.6.1.620 build from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    3. That's it.

There is no data or UI in the 1Password browser extensions, that's handled by the program itself. So, you don't have to change anything for the extensions, we use the same extensions for 1Password 1-6 versions.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. Uninstalled. Sort of? The installer left behind both program directories. Each has extension stuff in it. Do I need to consolidate the entries? Should I install to the 1Password 4 directory?

Mike, it just isn't easy. It should be and I guess it will be once I've cleared up my mess.

-g.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gorham,

That might be because you've downloaded the Firefox extension manually into that directory, we don't do that and the uninstaller only removes what we use, not random files that was not placed by us.

We don't store your 1Password data in the program directories and as far as I can tell in your screenshots, there isn't any sign of it.

You can just delete these program directories.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Done! Installed the latest - it's working fine. The extensions stayed where they belong. All is well.

I'll decide soon on whether to reinstate my teamness.

-g.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

gorham: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! :+1:

Please reach out to us anytime if you have any other questions. Have a productive week!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.