Auto-type to RDP-session in RDP-session failing

Options

I use 1password at work, where I connect to a management-server, from where I use RDP to connect to other servers.
One of our management-servers is aWindows 2012R2 server. When I have a locked RDP-session and I use the auto-type-feature, all works fine.
Our other management-server is a Windows 2016 server. When I have a locked RDP-session on that server and I use the auto-type-feature, the logon/unlock fails, stating the password is incorrect. When I manually enter the password, however, it works.

Tested with RDP-connection to the same server, but from different management-servers (2012R2 vs. 2016).

I just tested some more by sending the password to a notepad-screen when connected to the server through the 2016-server.
It seems not all SHIFT-keys are sent correctly; some of the uppercase-characters in my password are being sent as lowercase.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.619
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:auto-type

Comments

• lonevvolf
    lonevvolf
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same/similar problem with autotype.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting this, we'll look into it.

Are you guys using the Control + \ shortcut or the big Auto-Type button in 1Password 4's interface? If the former, can you try the Auto-Type button in 1Password 4's toolbar and tell me if it works better?

If not, what about the selective field auto-type buttons within the item's details viewer?

• sbrozius
    sbrozius
    Community Member
    Options

Shortcuts are not an option when passing on credentials to windows within a window, so no.
    The shortcut is only for browser-pages.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sbrozius,

The shortcut is only for browser-pages.

It is not, you can add any third party app windows to any Login item as App Login and if you focus the username field before pressing Ctrl+\, it will trigger the auto-type feature to type the data in.

So, neither the big auto-type button on top and/or the field button works?

• sbrozius
    sbrozius
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I've learned something new today, so I haven't tested it.
    However, I doubt I can use the shortcut because the field I'm trying to fill is not detectable by 1password, because it's in an RDP-session inside an RDP-session on my workstation.
    It might detect the first RDP-session, but should not be able to detect beyond that.

I've only used the auto-type button to the right of the password field in 1password, and then selecting the window the password should be sent to.

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @sbrozius,

Does your RDP client have keyboard settings that you can check to see if it may be misinterpreting the keys from Windows or does Windows Server 2016 have different regional keyboard layouts from your Windows 2012 server?

When we auto-type, what is happening is that we're asking Windows to type by emulating certain keys that matches the characters in the field that you've selected. In other words, the issue is most likely the way the keyboard events are interpreted by the RDP client, it's why 2012 is fine but 2016 is not with the same 1Password version. Different keyboard layout may mean the character can be different with the same key event.

• sbrozius
    sbrozius
    Community Member
    Options

Thing is, the same characters are properly uppercase on some positions, and not on others...

• MikeT
    Options

Right, it sounds like the shift key isn't properly encoded. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can control.

We may look at adding a workaround to paste it in instead of typing it in but this may not work either. We'll test and see what we can do.

• sbrozius
    sbrozius
    Community Member
    Options

Pasting doesn't work in lock-screens. Maybe use a little higher interval between keys?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll see what we can do to improve this. :)

• sbrozius
    sbrozius
    Community Member
    Options

I did some more experimenting.
    Here's the sketch of the situation:
    Me --- RDP --- > Server1 --- RDP ---> Server2

When the RDP-session to server2 is full screen, the 'shift does not work' kicks in. However, when I'm using a sized screen for the RDP-session to server 2, the shift-key works as normal.
    This behaviour can be 'corrected' by setting the keyboard-settings under Local Resources in the Remote Desktop Connection to "On this computer".

Tested with below string:
    qQwWeErRtTyYuUiIoOpPaAsSdDfFgGhHjJkKlLzZxXcCvVbBnNmM

With the keyboard-settings set to "Only when using the full screen" the string comes across as:
    qqwWeerrtTyYuUiiooppaAssddffgghHjjkkllzZxXcCvvbbnNmM

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sbrozius,

Wow, that's an interesting issue. Thanks for experimenting and giving us the info on what you found, I'm sure others will find that useful.

This discussion has been closed.