Password Generator needs more options

Getting used to version 6 on Windows has been trying to say the least - losing the ability to customize password generator options has had a huge detriment on my workflow. Unfortunately, there are still web sites and applications today that go bonkers if you use use certain special characters, and I would really love to see the ability to either A) specify which special characters to use when generating a password, or B) omit special characters that can be considered escape characters. Are there any plans to bring those options back?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @jasonC1976,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and using 1Password! :chuffed:

I understand where you are coming from. I really don't like websites and applications that prohibit certain characters in the passwords. They are the worst. However, bringing such functionality to the password generator in 1Password would weaken the password generator and the security of the generated passwords. And we don't want that, we don't want to surrender to those websites and apps. :)

I checked the password generators in 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 for Windows, and 1Password 6 for Mac, and did not find this functionality anywhere, so I am a little confused now. Have you seen that in 1Password before?

1Password 4:

1Password 6 for Windows:

1Password 6 for Mac:

You can still uncheck "Allow symbols" and there will be no symbols in your password. Does it suit your needs? Also, I would recommend you to use words in the password generator, not characters. They are able to make a good and strong password and they are easier to remember. For example:

Please let me know if it helps. If there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• jasonC1976
    jasonC1976
    Community Member

Hi @greg !

Wow, I must be slipping in my old age - I could have sworn I had this ability in 1Password 4. I have to apologize - over the past year and a half, between myself and my company I've been through 4 different password managers. I also need to plead ignorance on the fact there was even an option to use words in the generator - I didn't notice that it was a tab. I apologize for wasting your time, and thank you very much for the detailed response!

Best,
    Jason

P.S. On another note, it is a logged issue that if you attempt to fill out a login in Chrome and are prompted to sign into 1Password, the browser extension doesn't list the logins? You need to click out of it then Ctrl+Backspace again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@jasonC1976: No worries here, we are always here to help. :chuffed: I am glad to hear you've chosen 1Password.

As for your PS question, I can confirm that this is a known issue and it will be fixed in one of the future updates. Please stay tuned! You can contact us anytime with any questions. AgileBits team to the rescue! :+1:

Have a fantastic week!

Cheers,
    Greg

• jasonC1976
    jasonC1976
    Community Member

Thanks, you do the same.

• :+1:

This discussion has been closed.