Autofill not working (and recent topics are of no help)

Sheza
Sheza
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi there,

I am looking to switch from LastPass to 1Password and wanted to give the service a whirl. Unfortunately, I can't get auto-fill to work in Safari on macOS. I have to click the matching site in the browser extension and only then will it fill. Tested on Twitter and Reddit so far...

I have had a look at recent topics and can't seem to find one that matches me.

I am in trial mode, so this topic shouldn't apply
I do have the browser extension installed, so this topic shouldn't apply
I do have Safari's own autofill disabled.

As you can see I am now rather confused!

EDIT: It's not working for me on Chrome in Windows 10 either...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Sheza,

Thanks for writing in and for providing all that information. Hopefully I've understood your expectation correctly - it sounds like when you open a web page that contains a log in web form you're expecting that 1Password will automatically fill in your login details into that log in form. The short answer is 1Password doesn't autofill and this is intentional. Instead it always relies on the user to indicate intent to fill credentials explicitly.

Security is foremost in our design decisions and 1Password avoids any behaviour that could potentially leak data. To quote myself from another thread on this Forum:

1Password doesn't do this in order to help prevent your data from being enter into a web page when it wasn't intended. This is a common way data can be stolen if you use a built-in web browser's autofill functionality and you accidentally click on a phishing link in an email / sms message. 1Password always relies on a clear user action before it will fill your data.

I hope this explains our rationale. However, despite this apparent hindrance 1Password does have some wonderful features that allow you to log into websites extremely quickly. Let me highlight a few:

• Go & Fill - This allows you to click on a Login item in the 1Password Mini or the main 1Password App and have your browser open and log you into the website. It's essentially like a bookmark in your browser except it also automatically logs you into the website. The security of this approach is ensured because the link that is opened is stored within the Login item itself.
    • Keyboard Shortcut - If you happen to already be on a website with a login form you can fill in the right 1Password Login item by using the keyboard instead of having to click on the browser button. The keyboard shortcut for this is ⌘ \. We have a great page on our website about all the available keyboard shortcuts if you'd like to learn more.
    • 1Click Bookmarks - Last but certainly not least, you can create bookmarks in your browser that allow you to automatically log into websites in the same manner as Go & Fill, except with a bookmark in your browser. This is certainly one of the coolest features of 1Password. I highly recommend checking it out :chuffed: *

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

Hi @matthew_ag

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I thought this might be the case after I discovered it wasn't limited to Safari. It makes sense, I suppose, and the keyboard shortcut is good enough for me, so thanks for including that in your response.

Moving from a £12 a year product that (thus far) works for me to a £36 a year product is going to be interesting, but so far the experience seems good and I do like your personalised approach to answering questions and clear focus on security.

While I have you here, if it's okay, do you have an ETA for rich icons on Windows?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Sheza,

Glad you like it and that the explanation helped. Regarding the ETA for rich icons on Windows I'm afraid we have a policy of not providing any dates or timelines for future releases as there have sometimes been delays that have caused us to miss these public deadlines. 1Password for Windows 6 is improving at a rapid pace and I can assure you that rich icons are on our roadmap for it :chuffed:

If you have any other questions or run into any other issues, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.