Regenerate Master Password on iOS - have access with touchID

leonn
leonn
Community Member

Hi,

After a 1 password upgrade, I cannot access my vaults on MacOS (synced via iCloud).
I still have access on my iPhone with touch ID, but my master password is still needed (and rejected) when I try to change it (on iOS).

I've tried all solutions sent by AgileBits but without any success. Even restoring to an old version (more than 2 months) won't work.
Do you have any solution I could use in this case?

Thanks for your help,
Jul

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leonn,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your master password! It sounds like you may have found this knowledgebase article, but just in case: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

If the steps/tips in that article don't help, we'll need to know some more details about your setup and the problem:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone?
    • Do you sync 1Password with any other devices?
    • Did you recently change your master password on your Mac or iPhone?
    • You said the problem started after a 1Password upgrade - can you please elaborate on that? (For example, what was the old version, was it an upgrade to an all-new version or an incremental update to the existing version, was the upgrade on your Mac or iPhone, etc.)
    • If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, are any accounts listed on the left side?
    • If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, how many vaults are listed on the left side?
    • You said you tried restoring "to an old version (more than 2 months)" - did you restore an old version of the 1Password app, or did you restore from a backup of your 1Password data? Was that something you did on your Mac?

Thanks in advance! :)

• leonn
    leonn
    Community Member

Hello, thanks for coming back to me, here are the answers that could help:

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    The Agilebits Store version

What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone?
    Do you sync 1Password with any other devices?
    **Yes, there are 1 iPhone, 2 iPads, 1 MacBook Pro and 1 MacPro / All via iCloud
    Did you recently change your master password on your Mac or iPhone?
    **Maybe on my phone at the beginning of March, but not on the other devices
    You said the problem started after a 1Password upgrade - can you please elaborate on that? (For example, what was the old version, was it an upgrade to an all-new version or an incremental update to the existing version, was the upgrade on your Mac or iPhone, etc.)
    **I cannot say exactly but I had the problem before the 6.6.4 download.
    If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, are any accounts listed on the left side?
    **No account listed here
    If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, how many vaults are listed on the left side?
    **Just one vault here
    You said you tried restoring "to an old version (more than 2 months)" - did you restore an old version of the 1Password app, or did you restore from a backup of your 1Password data? Was that something you did on your Mac?
    **To try to restore, I tried on my Mac 1Password > Preferences > Backup and chooses a early February backup and hi Restore. But after an alert message, it seems that nothing happened since my old password doesn't work.

Thanks for your time and support, I do really appreciate it!Leonn

• Hi Leonn,

Maybe on my phone at the beginning of March, but not on the other devices

That could certainly be the difficulty. Do you remember both the previous password and the one you changed it to? Have you tried entering each?

Ben

• leonn
    leonn
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I've tried each of them, even after restoring (form iOS or laptop), no way to access.
    I'm frustrated not being able to change it from iOS since I have access with touchID.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@leonn: As with anything, in order to change the password, you need to enter it first. This is used to encrypt your data, so it similarly is needed to decrypt it. That may sounds silly to you, since you're able to access the vault still. This is possible because with Touch ID iOS is storing the secret in the Keychain that can be used to decrypt your data. But this is not accessible. If it were, that would be much less secure. There simply isn't any way to "extract" it. Only authenticating with Touch ID uses it, and if it is cleared from the Keychain (likely if you do an update, and possible if you restart your device, depending on your settings) then you will absolutely need to enter your Master Password to access your data. There is no back door.

Did you try the tips Drew suggested to figure out your Master Password?

• leonn
    leonn
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, that's a clear answer. I've tried everything, nothing works, my touchID access is my only way to reach my passwords.
    I'll copy/paste this week-end from my iPad, it will be raining :)

Thanks to all of you for your support !

• Thanks for the update @leonn. Once you get squared away it may be worth while to write down your Master Password and store it someplace private and safe (e.x. a fire safe or safety deposit box). 1Password.com membership accounts come with something like this built-in, called the Emergency Kit. You can read more about the Emergency Kit here:

1Password Emergency Kit

There are a number of other benefits to membership as well. You can read about those benefits here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you think you might be interested you can see pricing and sign up for a 30 day trial here:

Pricing - 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.