Families storage - 1Gb total or 1Gb per family member?

Options
Martok
Martok
Community Member

As per the title, does the Families subscription have storage for documents set at 1Gb total for the whole package or 1Gb per family member?

If it is 1Gb total, shouldn't it really be a bit higher than this? After all, individual accounts get 1Gb storage. I realise that you need to keep things competitive and that potentially 5 family members costs just $4.99 p/m compared to an individual at $2.99 p/m but it would be nice to have a bit more storage included if 1Gb is currently the total for this subscription.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Martok! Thanks for double-checking. The limit is per family. We may add an option to increase it in the future, but I honestly haven't seen people using more than that. If you find yourself using more than 1 GB please let us know what you're storing in your account so we have a better idea of what we could improve for you.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the speedy response!

I'm not actually using any storage yet (I've only been using 1Password Families for a few days for a month, I've just signed up for the annual package!) but I will no doubt do so in the coming weeks.

It just seemed strange that there was the same storage limit for individual accounts as there is for family accounts. Anyway, we shall see how it goes!

Out of interest, is there any indicator anywhere to say what storage is currently being used (and therefore how much is left)? If not, it might be useful to see this somewhere. Also, what happens when the limit is reached? Does it simply refuse to upload any more documents and/or give an error message?

• Ah okay, well when you do please let us know what you're using it for. I'm always wondering how people are using 1Password features we build, because I'm sure there are improvements we can make so it works better for them.

Out of interest, is there any indicator anywhere to say what storage is currently being used (and therefore how much is left)? If not, it might be useful to see this somewhere. Also, what happens when the limit is reached? Does it simply refuse to upload any more documents and/or give an error message?

Nice catch. ;) There isn't right now, so technically there is no limit. After all, we don't want to limit something and not give you a way to see when you've reached it or are near. We're working to add this soon.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I signed up during the Family Day promo, where the storage cap is two GB per user. However, the current sign-up page for 1P/Fam seems to indicate that the standard plan is still 1 GB per account. Is this correct?

The per-account storage limit always struck me as a real problem with the family plan because of the possibility that one user might hoover up most of the quota. (Is there a plausible use for that much storage? None springs to mind, but I have no control of other family members' usage and they may not share my limited imagination.) It'd be easier for me to recommend the service to others if that policy has changed.

Apropos of @Martok's question, have you implemented a storage usage meter yet? I don't see one in the Admin Dashboard.

Now that I think about it, though, it's not obvious to me what a "per user" limit means given that the service includes an arbitrary number of shared vaults. IIRC the Dropbox service counts all shared folders towards a user's storage quota but SugarSync only applies shared folder contents to the folder owner's quota.

—Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@benfdc What do you see on your Billing page?

I posted mine earlier today in a topic about the number of members in a Family account.

For me it clearly states "2 GB storage per person".

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ditto, @XIII. I tried to make that clear in my post, but one can always be clearer!

It looks like you signed up during last year's launch special; I signed up during last month's Family Day promotion. Meaning that you're paying $4/mo. for up to seven users and I'm paying $4.99/mo. for up to ten users. Either deal is a steal, but they're even greater steals if the storage cap for non-promotional family accounts is still per-account rather than per-user.

• Frank
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @benfdc - I'm happy to hear you were able to take advantage of the Family Day promotion. You can check out our blog post to get the specifics but I'll also list them below for your convenience:

• $4.99 per month when billed annually
    • Up to 10 Family Members
    • 2 GB of Secure Document storage, as XIII mentioned.

I hope this helped and keep us posted if you have any additional questions :-)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@Frank—

I think you managed to overlook my questions, which I don't think are addressed in any way whatsoever in the blog post.

First, have the terms of non-promotional Family accounts been upgraded to now provide 1 GB per user or are they still just 1 GB per account? The sign-up page suggests that there has been no upgrade.

Second, how are shared vaults accounted for in the per-user storage quotas in my Family Day 1P/Fam account? For example, suppose I share a vault with my uncle Mel and he somehow manages to fill it with 1.8 GB of items with huge attachments. Has he just consumed 90% of my storage quota?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @benfdc - My apologies and I appreciate the clarification :wink: For secure document storage it's 1GB per user (without the Family Day promotion). The 1GB per user limit is capped at the account level, meaning the total amount for the entire family. So uncle Mel should be fine since the cap is applied at the family level. I hope this helped a bit more and I apologize again for missing that. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions :+1:

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank--

Thank you! I think I understand what you said, and It makes perfect sense to me, but let me rephrase it just to be sure. If three users are set up on my account, then we share 6 GB, yes? Versus 3 GB if I had not signed up under the promotion?

Or is my account cap 20 GB, because it's a ten-user account, regardless of how many people have opened personal vaults?

The other question is how do I look up how much storage has been used and how much remains?

--Ben

• Frank
    Options

Hi @benfdc - Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it's an account cap but we track the storage limit per user - it won't prevent any individual team or family member from exceeding their per user limit but that will count against the account cap. I hope this helped clarify things a bit more :+1:

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank--

We're definitely moving in the right direction.

You say that you track the storage limit per user, but what can an individual user see, and where would the user look for it? Also, what can I, the owner of the family account, see regarding overall storage usage, and where do I look in order to find it?

--Ben

• Frank
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi @benfdc - Happy Friday! Currently we do not have a way to display the storage used in the apps.

This discussion has been closed.