Feature request: ability to disable the global keyboard shortcut invoking 1P mini

dubeg
dubeg
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Is it possible to put a checkbox in the 1P settings to disable the global keyboard shortcut that invokes 1P mini?

This would save me the time that I spend trying to come up with a key combination that I'll think I'll never use just to avoid invoking it ever. I never willingly want to invoke it with my keyboard. All I use 1P mini for is filling forms in my browser, and the 1P browser extension provides a helpful context-menu entry on the page that I use to invoke it already.

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dubeg: I can't say that I've ever seen someone say they want to disable the "fill login" keyboard shortcut completely. Typically people are happy when we tell them it exists if they weren't aware of it in the first place. We can consider your request, but it would mean adding yet another setting, and I'm not sure I see the benefit. Since you can simply choose to never use the shortcut, can you tell me why it's so important to your to disabled it? However, you can simply delete the current shortcut and restart the app to nullify it. But I'd encourage you to give it a chance. On most keyboards, Ctrl \ can be pressed with a single hand to fill and submit a login form (which is what you use 1Password mini for most), and it's much quicker than manually moving the mouse pointer, clicking the button, and clicking on a login. Just a thought. :)

• dubeg
    dubeg
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@brenty
    Oh, I'm embarrassed. I don't know why I didn't try to simply delete it. Maybe I did once, but didn't restart the app, which made me think it didn't nullify it. That said, it seems to be a good workaround!

I would probably use the shortcut if 1Pmini would appear only if the current app with focus is a browser. I often misclick the shortcut when I'm typing in a text editor, and it annoyed me quite a bit. Another thing: automatic filling & submitting didn't work on some sites that I visited, so I disabled it a while ago.

On sites where it works well, I'm always logged in anyway. On sites where it's broken, I need to manually fix a field or two, so I don't want it to automatically try to login and then return an error.

I'll typically right-click inside a username field, click the 1Password entry, then choose my login info in 1Pmini (sometimes 1Pmini will bug here and I'll have to redo the sequence), verify that 1P filled my info correctly, then click the login button or press enter. It's a routine I'm used to by now so I don't find it very burdensome. It's quick enough for an action that I don't have to do very frequently.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, I'm embarrassed. I don't know why I didn't try to simply delete it. Maybe I did once, but didn't restart the app, which made me think it didn't nullify it. That said, it seems to be a good workaround!

@dubeg: Honestly, don't be. I'm glad that helped! I wasn't aware this was possible either until you asked. It's literally never come up before! :lol:

I would probably use the shortcut if 1Pmini would appear only if the current app with focus is a browser. I often misclick the shortcut when I'm typing in a text editor, and it annoyed me quite a bit. Another thing: automatic filling & submitting didn't work on some sites that I visited, so I disabled it a while ago.

This is really interesting. Thanks for the feedback! I myself use 1Password mini a lot outside of the browser...but I think you've discovered a bug. Can you confirm this for me? It sounds like you're saying that you want Ctrl \ to be ignored completely outside of the browser. I think this may be how it should work. Ctrl \ is supposed to fill a login for the current website, so if you're not even in a browser it should probably do nothing. Conversely, Ctrl Alt \ is the global shortcut to open 1Password mini (as opposed to filling a login). This is incredibly useful as a way to quickly find something in 1Password anywhere. Let me know your thoughts.

On sites where it works well, I'm always logged in anyway. On sites where it's broken, I need to manually fix a field or two, so I don't want it to automatically try to login and then return an error.

Another thing that may help you is disabling Autosubmit (1Password Settings > Options > Browsers > Automatically sign in). I encounter issues like you describe regularly myself: sometimes I need to fill a CAPTCHA or toggle something on the page after filling but before submitting the form. I'll be honest: I usually have Autosubmit disabled. It lets me fill, decide if I need to do anything else, and then usually pressing Enter will submit the form. This is a global preference, but we're also working on supporting per-login Autosubmit preferences. Does that help?

I'll typically right-click inside a username field, click the 1Password entry, then choose my login info in 1Pmini (sometimes 1Pmini will bug here and I'll have to redo the sequence), verify that 1P filled my info correctly, then click the login button or press enter. It's a routine I'm used to by now so I don't find it very burdensome. It's quick enough for an action that I don't have to do very frequently.

I don't think a lot of people do this, but I do it too (though typically with the keyboard). So it's nice to know I'm not alone, and to get a sense for your workflow. I think you have a few good options here, and we should be able to help more in the future as well. :)

ref: OPW6-1039

• dubeg
    dubeg
    Community Member

@brenty

It sounds like you're saying that you want Ctrl \ to be ignored completely outside of the browser. I think this may be how it should work. Ctrl \ is supposed to fill a login for the current website, so if you're not even in a browser it should probably do nothing. Conversely, Ctrl Alt \ is the global shortcut to open 1Password mini (as opposed to filling a login).

Oh. I didn't know that. It's not explicitly said in the options, and since both combinations always invoked the pop-up, I was confused why Alt was even put there between braces. Haha. Where should I report this?

This is a global preference, but we're also working on supporting per-login Autosubmit preferences. Does that help?

That will be great!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, it's not as obvious as we'd like it to be. There's definitely room for improvement. No need to report it anywhere else. You've come to the right place. Thanks for the feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.