Chrome extension changed from 1Password4 to 1Password6

I use 1Password4 (Win10) for personal use and 1Password6 (Teams) for work use. I want 1Password4 to be linked with my browsers. They have co-existed fine up to this point, but today when the browser reverted to 1Password6.

I have tried deleting the Chrome extension and reinstalling from 1Password4, but it still links to 1Password6.

Please advise.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617 and 6.4.377d
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

If you set 1Password 6 to not start automatically with Windows, this will give 1Password 4 enough time to start and get running, resulting in it "winning" the race.

The other option is to add your 1Password 4 vaults to 1Password 6, meaning that 1Password 6 will be in charge of filling data in the browser, while you can still use 1Password 4 to edit data. Sadly, you have to tell 1Password 6 whenever you make a change, so this is clunky and annoying (but, it would give you universal auto-fill from 1Password 4 and 6 data)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheDave: Right on! :)

@MacPDX: Conversely, you can prevent 1Password 4 from launching with Windows by disabling "1Password (32-bit)" in Task Manager under Startup. You can always start it manually in 1Password 4 Help > Restart 1Password Helper. Cheers! :)

• MacPDX
    MacPDX
    Community Member

Setting 1Password6 to not start up automatically did the trick. It's frustrating because it appears to be a moving target between the OSX, Win v4, Win v6. They all look and behave differently.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Indeed. I ran the two side by side for a couple of months while some basic 1Password 6 bugs got sorted out, but I've since moved to 6 exclusively. I haven't quite gotten brave enough to nuke my 1Password 4 backups, but maybe next month.

• MacPDX
    MacPDX
    Community Member

I've been running them side by side for months as well, but only ran into the browser issue this week. Must have been an update to v6.

I run a Mac at home, IOS for mobile, and Windows at work, all with a personal vault on Dropbox. We added, at my recommendation, 1Password Teams at work. I'm not ready to convert all of my devices over to a web based solution that has fewer features (Windows version) than what I have today.

Thanks for the tip. I am set until the next update.

• Hi guys,

@MacPDX, we are a bit aggressive about making 1Password run on startup because it is vital for the smooth browser extension experience, a lot of extension issues are resolved magically by having 1Password run at startup.

There has been updates to both 1Password 4 and 6 in the last month, so one of them would've changed the auto-start settings.

I'm not ready to convert all of my devices over to a web based solution that has fewer features (Windows version) than what I have today.

We totally understand. Just to make sure we have it on the list, what features would you like to see sooner in 1Password 6?

• MacPDX
    MacPDX
    Community Member

So, this problem has reared its ugly head once again. Did an update to 6 and it took over the browser. Checked the startup setting and sure enough it was checked. Unchecked the button, rebooted, and no luck. It still will not recognize 1Password 4 for browser.

Is it time to punt and pick a different tool? All I want to do is get my work done, not wonder what changes are in store the next time I update.

Please advise how I can get 1Password 4 to work with my browsers reliably. If I need to cancel my Team subscription and find another solution so that I can get rid of 1Password 6, then so be it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MacPDX: I'm not sure I completely understand, as 1Password 4 cannot work with 1Password Teams, so I don't think getting rid of 1Password 6 would help there. However, it sounds like you may be referring to Chrome (though you weren't explicit about that), since that's now using Native Messaging with 1Password 6, which will take precedence over the older WebSockets method 1Password 4 is using. But you can disable this in 1Password 6 Settings > Options > Advanced, and that will allow you to use 1Password 4 with the browser when you've closed 1Password 6 completely. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

@brenty He is using 1Password 4 for his personal passwords and wants the browser extension, but he also uses 1Password 6 for accessing a team account. He wants the browser extension to talk to 4, not 6.

@MacPDX, one other thought: Why not add your 1Password 4 Vault(s) to 1Password 6? 1Password 6 can only read them, but this is just barely good enough for the browser extensions to work, and it might save the rest of your pain/hassle.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@TheDave: Thank you for your help! :+1: We do not recommend doing so, as the read-only support for local vaults in Dropbox was added specifically for migrating your local vaults into 1Password.com account without having to install the Dropbox client first. Keeping a local vault in 1Password 6 can easily become confusing and we don't want that. :)

@MacPDX: Brenty's tip above should work. You can also check this guide on how to use 1Password 6 while 1Password 4 is installed on your Windows PC (and vice versa). I hope it helps. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• MacPDX
    MacPDX
    Community Member

I got 1PW4 working again with the browser. But, it shouldn't be this difficult to use both at the same time.

You asked for feedback:

1. You have given us dozens of reasons why 1PW4 and 6 are separate. Why not treat them as different products and allow each to have their own browser extension? This would solve numerous issues.
    2. I will never put my personal passwords, bank accounts, etc in my Corporate Team account. Why would I give my company access to my accounts? But, there is a Personal vault that no one can see, you say. Sure, but as a Team Admin, I can reset any user. And, as the provider of E-Mail for my employees, I have the right and ability to monitor E-Mail sent through their accounts. So, in less than five minutes, I can have full control of their account, including the Personal Vault. As a secondary note, when a company is paying for a service used by its employees, there is generally no right to privacy when using those services.
    3. So, given number 2, there needs to be an effective way for users to use both a personal account and a team account that doesn't involve signing out and back in or jumping through hoops to make them work nicely together.
    4. Why does a v6 update overwrite the Options that were set by the user? Do we have to check our settings every time an update is issued?
    5. Why doesn't the v6 window show on the top of other windows on a consistent basis when started? Sometimes it does and sometimes it is hidden behind other windows.

If you want to live in the corporate world, you have to understand that most employees do personal things at work. Thus the personal and corporate tools need to work together. Don't assume if we are only going to have one product and it's an either/or situation.

It also appears that local Vaults are being left behind. If Cloud Vaults are the only future for 1Password, you have lots of competition. I'd be careful before you through all of us legacy users under the bus.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@MacPDX: I'm sorry that you're having trouble with this, but at the same time I hope you'll understand that neither version of 1Password is designed to work alongside the other (though technically this is really on the extension side of things), and that designing for this use case isn't a good idea since the vast majority of people are going to be using one or the other. That's really where our focus needs to be.

You have given us dozens of reasons why 1PW4 and 6 are separate. Why not treat them as different products and allow each to have their own browser extension? This would solve numerous issues.

This isn't possible, as the browser extensions weren't designed with this in mind at all. We'd literally have to redesign both sides of this — both app and extension — in order for this to work, and we really need to devote resources to other things that benefit the vast majority of 1Password users. All of this was literally designed back in 2012, not with this sort of edge case in mind, and all of the browser extensions and apps we've made since then depend on the way it works currently. I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you.

I will never put my personal passwords, bank accounts, etc in my Corporate Team account. Why would I give my company access to my accounts? But, there is a Personal vault that no one can see, you say. Sure, but as a Team Admin, I can reset any user. And, as the provider of E-Mail for my employees, I have the right and ability to monitor E-Mail sent through their accounts. So, in less than five minutes, I can have full control of their account, including the Personal Vault. As a secondary note, when a company is paying for a service used by its employees, there is generally no right to privacy when using those services.

I don't see where anyone even suggested storing your data in your company's 1Password Teams account, so I'm sorry if I'm missing something. You're right of course that this doesn't seem to be a good option for you, but keep in mind that we don't have any way of knowing about the policies of your company unless you tell us. So while the Personal vault might work for others, I agree that it doesn't sound like a good idea in your specific case.

So, given number 2, there needs to be an effective way for users to use both a personal account and a team account that doesn't involve signing out and back in or jumping through hoops to make them work nicely together.

With individual and family 1Password.com memberships, we just don't hear from a lot of people who are using 1Password Teams along with the standalone app, so I disagree that this is something we should be prioritizing.

Why does a v6 update overwrite the Options that were set by the user? Do we have to check our settings every time an update is issued?

It sounds like you ran into a bug with this update. You shouldn't have to do that, and it's something we've addressed in recent betas. I apologize for the inconvenience that's caused you.

Why doesn't the v6 window show on the top of other windows on a consistent basis when started? Sometimes it does and sometimes it is hidden behind other windows.

It sounds like another app may be stealing focus. Are you seeing any pattern or consistency to this? It's something we can look into.

If you want to live in the corporate world, you have to understand that most employees do personal things at work. Thus the personal and corporate tools need to work together. Don't assume if we are only going to have one product and it's an either/or situation.

That's exactly why we introduced 1Password Families and individual 1Password.com memberships: many, many people started using 1Password Teams and told us they didn't want to use their company accounts for personal stuff. We hadn't assumed that they would, but we did have to start somewhere!

It also appears that local Vaults are being left behind. If Cloud Vaults are the only future for 1Password, you have lots of competition. I'd be careful before you through all of us legacy users under the bus.

It's certainly something we'll consider as we develop 1Password in the future. Right now though we're focused on 1Password.com as we already have mature apps that support local vaults.

• MacPDX
    MacPDX
    Community Member

@brenty: I guess it is my fault for not doing enough research before purchasing the Team product for my department. There were certainly other choices out there, many more competitively priced. But, being a long time user of 1Password on Mac, iOS and Windows, I didn't give enough weight to the forum complaints and thought things would work themselves out.

If I could summarize your comments so I am clear:
    1. 1Password 4 (aka stand alone versions) are dead and no longer sold. If we want a non-cloud based solution long term, we need to start looking for alternatives.
    2. The subscription products are still in development and to date are not comparable to the stand-alone products in functionality or, more importantly, stability.
    3. The subscription products were never intended to be used together, i.e. Team plus Individual or Family. So, if you have a personal subscription, don't get Team and vice-versa.
    4. Stand alone vaults (Dropbox/local) will probably never be supported in the subscription versions.

Companies change direction all of the time. Products come and go. Companies succeed and fail. I am not upset, more sad that a great product is going away.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If I could summarize your comments so I am clear:

@MacPDX: Your words, not mine:

1Password 4 (aka stand alone versions) are dead and no longer sold. If we want a non-cloud based solution long term, we need to start looking for alternatives.

1Password for Windows version 4 is no longer being actively developed. This is the only app supporting standalone 1Password use for which this is the case. And no one is going to take your existing licenses away from you. Unless something big changes in Windows (not probable, given Microsoft's history with backward compatibility), 1Password 4 will likely continue to work for years to come.

The subscription products are still in development and to date are not comparable to the stand-alone products in functionality or, more importantly, stability.

The only separate "stand-alone product" we have currently is 1Password for Windows version 6. It's stable, but it does occasionally have bugs we need to fix, just like any other app. Similarly all other versions of 1Password support both local vaults and 1Password.com, so there aren't separate standalone/subscription versions. But you're right that we have some advanced features we still need to add to the new app.

The subscription products were never intended to be used together, i.e. Team plus Individual or Family. So, if you have a personal subscription, don't get Team and vice-versa.

Not at all. You can use multiple 1Password Families, Teams, and individual accounts in any of the apps that support 1Password.com. I've got at least one of each, in addition to those I use exclusively for testing.

Stand alone vaults (Dropbox/local) will probably never be supported in the subscription versions.

With regard to the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, it's too soon to say. Right now we're working on other things, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But again, all other versions of 1Password support Dropbox, so it isn't urgent to have it in 1Password 6.

Companies change direction all of the time. Products come and go. Companies succeed and fail. I am not upset, more sad that a great product is going away.

1Password isn't going anywhere. We still have customers on 1Password for Mac version 3, which was released in 2009. So the rumours of 1Password's demise are greatly exaggerated. ;)

This discussion has been closed.