Procedure for Team Admin Master Password Loss

Options

If the sole Team admin loses the master password, what is the procedure for completely resetting the account back to zero since I assume there is no way to recover that password?

The key is available, but that seems like it only enables repeated attempts at "remembering" the master password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@The Doctor: I'm not clear if this is a hypothetical, disaster-planning thing, or an actual situation, so bear with me. Hopefully if it comes to it, there's an Emergency Kit that's simply been forgotten! :dizzy:

If the sole Team admin loses the master password, what is the procedure for completely resetting the account back to zero since I assume there is no way to recover that password?

If there's truly no access, so it won't be possible for them to delete the account from the team settings in the web interface. So I'd break it down this way:

1. Notify team members so they can copy their data — possibly to another account or local vault
    2. Only after everyone has all their data, contact us at support@1password.com from the account owner's registered email to "reset" the account
    3. Setup the account again and invite everyone so they can move their data back

It can get much more complicated than that, but ti's something we can help you through as needed depending on the situation.

The key is available, but that seems like it only enables repeated attempts at "remembering" the master password.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate? It sounds like you mean the Secret Key (F.K.A. Account Key) is known, but only the Master Password has been forgotten. In that case, they can try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

Recover your Master Password

Alternatively, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help recover the account:

Account recovery process

There's probably much more to this though, so I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.