To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Some sites do not seem to like all special characters

Options
JamesHenderson
JamesHenderson
Community Member

...not sure really where to post this, so starting where as I have an account!

I like house special characters where I can, but I have found that some sites do not like all the special characters that 1Password uses. Does anyone else have this problem? ...is it possible to have a "safer" smaller set option for these sites?

thanks,
James.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: individual account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson: Indeed, this comes up from time to time. The problem is that there's no one "standard" for what is allowed and what isn't. It depends entirely on each website's arbitrary rules. And if we're talking about the secure thing to do, it's to allow anything. The site can take the input, salt it, hash it, and store that hash for future comparison. At that point length and composition don't matter, and that makes it much harder for an attacker to brute force both the password, and also use the database of hashes in the case of a breach. We've played around with different ideas for allowing more customization there, but haven't come up with anything that is both useful and not a mess, so we're open to suggestions. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Hi - thanks for there response. My only idea was to have a "safe" subset option, but that appears to not exist.

thanks anyway!

• Jacob
    Options

That could be useful, but at the moment we're gonna stick with plainer text :)

This discussion has been closed.