Have 1PW fill in my password for a secure disk image?

Watertight
Watertight
Community Member

I have a sparse disk image that is protected by a 1PW generated password that I store in a Secure Note.

Since copy and paste from the Secure Note's field doesn't function for this scenario, I'm looking for a way to have 1PW fill the disk image's password window. My data is secure, but entering a multi-character password manually is painful. Is there any way to alleviate the pain?

I found a closed thread on the forum where a similar question was asked in 2010, but there doesn't appear to have been any response.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.3.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: local folder

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Watertight,

1Password can fill forms on websites by using the 1Password extension in the web browser, but other Mac apps don't have extensions like web browsers do, so 1Password isn't able to fill fields in those apps. I would normally suggest using 1Password mini to copy a password, but that won't help with fields that don't allow you to paste.

We'd like to make it easier to fill forms in non-browser apps and we've been hoping Apple would provide an API similar to the extension system they have on iOS which allows third party apps to communicate with each other in a secure manner. That hasn't happened yet, but if/when it does, I'm not sure if that would help in this particular situation or not.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you! But please let us know if you have more questions or need anything else. Cheers! :)

• Watertight
    Watertight
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, Drew. I'll count on you and your team to keep the heat on Apple if it will help. Might be time for a memorize-able pw on this one disk image. The curly brackets and close-paren symbols are killin' me!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Watertight,

In case it helps, the password generator in 1Password has a 'Words' option that creates strong passwords using random words, so they're easier to memorize and/or type manually. I'm sure that would be much easier than the symbols you currently need to type, especially if you need to do it often! :)

• Watertight
    Watertight
    Community Member

Excellent reminder. Thanks. I know that feature's in the pw generator but had fotgotten about it. I'll give it a try.

Another note: I'd been getting the "more than one copy" error message when opening 1PW6 with my backup disks mounted. Followed your support document on this subject and quickly remedied the problem as well as learned something about my cloning software settings. Another win for your support team.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Excellent, I'm glad our support site helped you to resolve that! I'll let our docs team know. :)

Have a great weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow. Thank you for letting us know! I know we put a lot of work into making the documentation, and my hope is that when we don't hear from people it's because they found what they needed already. Very kind of you to take the time to tell us it helped you. :blush:

• moose
    moose
    Community Member

Hopefully this will work in your situation:

1. Begin by storing the password as the "password" type in 1Password (not in a secure note).
    2. When it is time to decrypt the volume use 1Password Mini in your Mac's menu bar to find the password record. Hover over the password field and click to copy the password.
    3. Now, even though you can't right-click to paste a password, you can select the password field in the "decrypt" dialog box and press CMD-V to paste the password.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent tip! That's why I love ⌘ ⌥ \ too: because it can be invoked anywhere. Often the keyboard comes to the rescue. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.