Auto lock feature

ScarySulley
ScarySulley
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

You know how under Preferences you can set the amount of time of 1Password will auto lock after a certain amount of time? Is this time in regards to how long it's been since you've been active in 1Password itself or the computer in general? It seems as though if I'm active on the computer in general, but haven't been in 1Password for a certain amount of time, it auto locks. But I I think I've also seen auto lock not lock if I've been active on the computer in general. I think 1Password for Mac (4.0 I believe) behaves differently in that the auto lock time is in regards to how long you've been active/inactive on the computer in general.

Hope that makes sense, thank you!

1Password Version: 4.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @ScarySulley,

We use a Mouse Hook to determine whether the user is active on the machine and only lock when they aren't or when a system event tells us to lock the vault (like the screensaver activating or you locking the PC).

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Alex

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Hi @AlexHoffmann,

Thank you for your reply! So to be clear, a "Mouse Hook" is a - for the lack of a better word - "thing," that monitors the mouse activity and when it hasn't moved in the amount of time auto lock is set to, 1Password auto locks. Am I understanding that correctly?

The thing is though, I am active on the computer, moving the mouse even a little bit when 1Password auto locks. Is there a minumum amount of mouse movement that's required in order the mouse movement to "count" as activity?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your reply! So to be clear, a "Mouse Hook" is a - for the lack of a better word - "thing," that monitors the mouse activity and when it hasn't moved in the amount of time auto lock is set to, 1Password auto locks. Am I understanding that correctly?

@ScarySulley: Correct. It should lock when there hasn't been any mouse activity for X minutes (based on your settings).

The thing is though, I am active on the computer, moving the mouse even a little bit when 1Password auto locks. Is there a minumum amount of mouse movement that's required in order the mouse movement to "count" as activity?

I don't believe so, but I'll check with the development team. Are you by any chance using any 3rd party mouse utilities/drivers?

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Hey @brenty

I don't believe so, but I'll check with the development team. Are you by any chance using any 3rd party mouse utilities/drivers?

Actually I am using Logitech Options software my PC. But I'm also using the same software for my Mac. And the Mac's 1Password seems to not auto lock before the specified amount of time.

...Well I just did a quick test, and the auto lock feature did not lock before the set time. But I feel it happens sort of at random. Course I was making sure I was moving the mouse a bit. :) I'll post back if the auto lock seems to lock too early.

Thanks!

• Hi @ScarySulley,

The auto-lock does not work the same way across all platforms, there are technical OS differences in how mouse tracking and/or idle timer works. In fact, 1Password 6 for Windows doesn't work the same way to track your idle activity like in 1Password 4, we no longer use a mouse hook in 1Password 6.

We have seen Logitech's drivers interfere with the mouse hooks in 1Password in the past. Uninstalling them did fix the issue.

Unfortunately, we cannot work around the mouse drivers. We're not keeping track of your mouse movements, we're asking Windows to inform us every time there is some movement. If Windows doesn't tell us, we wouldn't know that you were not idle.

My suggestion is to switch your auto-lock timer to a few minutes and see if it locks in time. If not, reboot into Safe Mode with networking and see if it works better there. If it does, then it is a third party interference such as Logitech. If not, then the issue is deeper than that.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

So right now 1Password just auto locked (at about the specified amount of time set in the preferences) despite the fact that I was moving the mouse. Not sure if that info will be useful, but thought I'd let you know anyways.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Sorry, I did not see your reply @MikeT (didn't get a notification), and just thought that was my reply when typing this comment. Thank you for the follow up. I'll look into it and will post back if I have any questions. Thanks!

Is 1Password 6 so far just available as a subscription?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So right now 1Password just auto locked (at about the specified amount of time set in the preferences) despite the fact that I was moving the mouse. Not sure if that info will be useful, but thought I'd let you know anyways. Thanks! :)

@ScarySulley: Good to know! Be sure to tell us how you get along. :)

Is 1Password 6 so far just available as a subscription?

Correct. Right now local vaults are not supported in 1Password 6, and it isn't something we're working on as we've got our hands full with other projects (Edge and NativeMessaging, for example). But 1Password 6 already works with 1Password.com accounts.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Correct. Right now local vaults are not supported in 1Password 6, and it isn't something we're working on as we've got our hands full with other projects (Edge and NativeMessaging, for example). But 1Password 6 already works with 1Password.com accounts.

Will 1Password 6 for Windows ever be available as a standalone purchase as opposed to the subscription? Also, I've asked this before, but want to see if there's been any update to this...what are the differences between agilebits.com and 1password.com? It seems the only way to get to the standalone version of 1Password is through agilebits.com? Lastly - this just "fyi" on my part - while it's possible that you can download the standalone version, how do you go about actually paying for the license?

Ok, I'm done...for now. :)

• Hi @ScarySulley,

Will 1Password 6 for Windows ever be available as a standalone purchase as opposed to the subscription?

We don't know yet. Right now, our focus is still on completing the 1Password 6 program and 1Password.com service, then local vaults/licenses/local sync.

Right now, if you want 1Password on Windows, we only offer 1Password.com service with 1Password 6. 1Password 4 is no longer for sale as it is getting outdated as we shift our focus mainly on 1Password 6. 1Password 4 will get any security updates of course but no more new features.

Also, I've asked this before, but want to see if there's been any update to this...what are the differences between agilebits.com and 1password.com? It seems the only way to get to the standalone version of 1Password is through agilebits.com?

Pretty much.

2-3 years ago, we were AgileBits selling standalone 1Password products for more than decade and we were doing most of this on www.agilebits.com. As we started to dream about 1Password.com service to simplify 1Password experience, we split into agilebits.com and 1Password.com, keeping everything related to standalone on agilebits.com and 1Password.com, well that speaks for itself. We really didn't realize that keeping both domains like this would lead to confusion, so we're going to make more aggressive changes to market 1Password.com service first.

? Lastly - this just "fyi" on my part - while it's possible that you can download the standalone version, how do you go about actually paying for the license?

You cannot anymore, we've just stopped selling licenses for the old 1Password 4 for Windows last week. We do realize this means it is subscriptions only for Windows customers at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.