New subscriber few things....

telUK
telUK
Community Member

Hi

Just subscribed and so far all went smoothly I must say, just a few things though......

On my personal vault I notice that my 1password.com account is saved in my logins, this has my account key/master password. This was saved automatically when i signed up.

1.Should I delete that, seems a bit unsecure to have that saved in my logins surely?

2.Also all set up on mac fine but how do I set it up on my tablet that I was originally using a standalone licence on.?

3.And finally is it ok to delete my primary vault on dropbox?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

ignore question 2 I done that ok now.

And question 3, I deleted the vault.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @telUK! We now save your login details as an item in your account as a convenience for you; so for example, if you're signing into your account from a new device, and you have an old device on hand, you can always open 1Password on that device and have all your details right there waiting for you. As the item is stored in your account, it's safe :chuffed:

And yes, once you've migrated the contents of your old "Primary" vault to your account, we actually recommend removing it afterwards to prevent accidentally storing items in it afterwards, instead of safely in your account.

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

@john_m

Thank's for that, was just a bit concerned about that.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@telUK No problem, glad I could help! :+1:

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Just thinking a bit more apart from the ease of access that it gives having it as a login, is it really needed on there?

I have the emergency kit printed out.

I have all my devices setup and authorised in device list.

And I know my master password like the back of my hand.

Can any current account subscribers please let me know what you do with regards to having the 1password account credentials stored as a login?

Despite it being secure it still puts doubts in my mind having that info synced, especially the master password.

Thank's

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@telUK No, it's not required - if you're sure you've got your details safely backed up someone else, then please feel free to delete the item :chuffed:

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

@john_m

Deleted it.

Apart from the ease of logging in i felt it was not needed, I can get my secret key from any of my trusted devices if needed and I have it printed out as well.

Thank's

• Hi @telUK That sounds like a perfect plan. There was some discussion here in the forums where a couple of customers shared their use case for storing their Emergency Kits. I actually have the same use case as you. I have authorized a couple of devices so I can copy my Secret Key from there. I know my Master Password by heart but I have it written down somewhere safe in case my wife needs it. It's literally on a post-it note hidden somewhere in the house. Nobody will understand what it is if by chance it's discovered. Well I guess you know now, so I'll hide it somewhere else :lol:

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

telUK asks "Can any current account subscribers please let me know what you do with regards to having the 1password account credentials stored as a login?" I use it when I want to login to the web site from my Mac. I use the web site when I want to do admin type things, so having the login credentials handy in Mac 1Password makes this easy. Perhaps there is a way to do the admin things directly from the Mac app, but I have not found figured out how to do it.

Just a note -- I always need to provide the secret key when logging in to the web site, so just knowing my password is not sufficient. I'm not sure if the secret key requirement is true for everyone or if it is a side effect of my Firefox preferences.

Tom

• Frank
    edited April 2017

Hi @learning_1pw - Thank you for sharing and it's nice to hear from you :smile:

Perhaps there is a way to do the admin things directly from the Mac app, but I have not found figured out how to do it.

You're right. As of right now, admin functions such as adjusting permissions and creating new vaults have to be done using the web app.

As far as having to enter your Secret Key every-time you log into the account using Firefox. Under preferences, do you have "never remember history" selected? Are you running Firefox in private browsing mode? This could be the reason for having to enter your Secret Key every-time you log into the account via the web. Let us know if this helped or if you have any additional questions :+1: Have a great day Tom!

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

Hi Frank. You're right that I do have "never remember history" selected. I'm willing to pay the penalty of entering the Secret Key every time in order to keep this setting on. As I mentioned above, the Secret Key is right there in 1Password for me, so I'm happy.

Tom

• That's great then :)

This discussion has been closed.