Windows Store version [new UWP app coming soon]

Options
Oyvindth
Oyvindth
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi! is there any work being done on the windows store version of 1password. or is it dead?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

It's been a little while with regards the UWP version of the app for Windows 10 (desktop and mobile). Any updates or has everything been put on hold for the win32 version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337: It isn't on hold, but sadly we don't have news to share yet. Don't worry, you're in good company: we're anxious for a new UWP release too. Hang in there! :blush:

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Hopefully, when the 1Password Edge plugin becomes available via Creators Update, you'll have some good news.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @architect1337,

Nothing is promised for the Edge/Creator Update, we've only just got the APIs we need for Edge less than a month ago and we're testing it while working with Microsoft's teams to improve it. There is not much time before Microsoft ships Creator Update and this may not make the cut, that's why we don't try to announce or confirm anything with Windows Insider builds, only with the stable builds. You can find out more in my reply here.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Byron Polley,

Thanks for writing in. Which kind of functionality are you looking for?

Yes, it will catch up to 1Password 6 for macOS, we're getting there every month. The next 6.4 update will be a big step forward with the new 1Password mini design in case you haven't seen the 6.4 betas yet.

Windows Hello is on the list, we had it available a year ago in the UWP version of 1Password before we took it off the store to rebuild it.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Byron Polley,

Perfect timing, we've just shipped the first iteration of Watchtower in 6.4.380 beta build half an hour ago.

Performance should be solid already, it's much faster at decrypting 150K database than 1Password 4 can do 1K database. Can you tell us what you're seeing in terms of performance issues?

There are some glitches we're investigating with 1Password mini where it sometime refreshes itself in a loop that looks like a performance issue.

. It seems the app keeps getting rebuilt and there's so many versions rn.

We haven't rebuilt the app once since the 1Password 6 for Windows desktop was initially released back in October of 2016. However, we are doing refactoring sometime to adjust the code to add more advanced features.

The UWP version is a separate version, that's just the nature of Windows Universal Platform platform, they are separate and cannot reuse the same code. Microsoft recently made improvements to allow desktop programs to be shipped at the store with support to use the Windows 10 API that were previously limited to UWP apps only. We're looking into that to unify the codebase further, it's partially why we took it off the store.

Basically it just feels like the Windows versions don't have as big a team as the MacOS version.

It doesn't, macOS is our flagship platform (AgileBits was originally a Mac shop) and we are looking into expanding our engineering team on Windows.

Would this accessory be compatible with 1P - bio-key.com/products/ecoid/ Would be great to have a super secure master pass and rely on fingerprint for authentication across platforms.

As long as it uses the Windows 10 Hello platform, 1Password will use it. In other words, we're not really in charge of what devices will work, Windows will handle that for us.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Microsoft recently made improvements to allow desktop programs to be shipped at the store with support to use the Windows 10 API that were previously limited to UWP apps only. We're looking into that to unify the codebase further, it's partially why we took it off the store.

Hi, I was reading about Microsoft's Desktop Bridge in Windows 10, and wondered whether this was something 1Password 6 could take advantage of: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop

Is this what you mean when you talk about recently made improvements? It sounds interesting, especially with these apps being able to auto-update and have clean uninstallation through the Window's Store. Are there any plans for this yet, or is still in the discussion and planning stage?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @pbryanw,

:smile: You know we can't release details about our future plans. One thing I can mention is that the Windows Store is required to include Edge extensions and with what you know so far, you can get a better glance of what's going on.

• You're welcome, @Byron Polley.

The redundant versions available in the Windows Store will be cleaned up once we release a new build there. The situation right now is less than ideal and not want we want it to be. However: only users who've previously downloaded the app from the Windows Store should be able to see it at all.

As for the future of 1Password for Windows; we're definitely going to unify the experience as much as possible. I'd recommend you check out the latest stable version of the 1Password 6 desktop app. It's very reliable and responsive. The new beta is even quicker.

And for the record: the codebase of the UWP and the desktop app are quite similar. Our Windows programmers are using the latest technologies Microsoft has to offer, allowing us to leverage close to all of the performance benefits in the desktop app that the UWP might have on a Windows 10 system.

Let us know if you have any other questions or more feedback (we love hearing the latter).

Cheers,

Alex

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Oyvindth,

Thanks for writing in!

We are in fact working on the new UWP version of 1Password 6 and it is going to be required for the upcoming Edge extension support. We will release more details when we get close to finishing it up but no ETA yet.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

Looking forward to this on both desktop and mobile...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! :)

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member
    Options

Will this UWP version support local password vaults?

• Oleksii
    Oleksii
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@btownguy
    Sorry to say that, but no. Local vaults are no longer supported (except import) in any new version.

• crsouser
    crsouser
    Community Member
    Options

@Oleksii That is just lame and the wrong business decision. AgileBits will not be getting another one of my dollars if you continue to drop local vaults on other platforms.

• Oleksii
    Oleksii
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@crsouser, I understand your frustration. I also feel it when a service I use makes fundamental changes which I do not like. However, so far we are following this approach. May be it will change in the future, but it is not something I am able to promise.

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member
    Options

@Oleksii, is your comment "local vaults are no longer supported (except import) in any new version" only directed towards the Windows Store UWP version? The message all over this board has been that local vaults are planned and are coming to 1Password 6 for Windows eventually. Has something in that message changed?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @btownguy,

Sorry, Oleksii worded that too strongly. Local vaults are not supported in 1Password 6 and it is not going to change for the Windows Store version either as a new version. It will have the same support as the desktop app, no changes to the local vault support.

We still want to add it later but for the moment, nothing has changed. If something does change, we will announce it as an official policy everywhere, not like a comment here.

• roynasser
    roynasser
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I'm unclear...

After updating 1password6 to the latest version on Windows 10 (I use it on Mac and iOS extensively), however in windows it requires me to log in to a team before allowing me to add my dropbox vault.... (PITA, but ok...) But worse, it wont let me save passwords in the Dropbox vault AT ALL, and esp not as default....

am I stuck to using cloud?

What is the way to downgrade to the "buggy and quirky - but working 5.0 version?"....

There are also some nasty behaviors (such as generate a password on a site, then convert it to login from the browser extension, and then never find that login again.... :( )....

Since we are on it, there is no way to "Never ask for this website" in the auto-save, and no way to hit "ESC" or ctrl-w or something to dismiss the Save dialog/Unlock dialog invoked by submitting a login not in 1p....

Is 1p cloud going to be the way going forward? If so, have others migrated to other systems? I dont want to use the cloud.... (I do use it for our business, but will migrate everyone to another solution if required)... but I want my personal ones in Dropbox/Other FS with my own encription and not be contrained to obligation of a 1p cloud acct....

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @roynasser,

1Password 6 for Windows is not an upgrade to 1Password 4 and has never supported local vaults. We've added local vaults as readonly support to allow you to migrate your local vaults to 1Password.com accounts. However because a lot of people have confused it as supporting local vaults, we're going to update 1Password 6 to remove it, so that you can use Import instead to migrate your data.

After updating 1password6 to the latest version on Windows 10 (I use it on Mac and iOS extensively), however in windows it requires me to log in to a team before allowing me to add my dropbox vault.... (PITA, but ok...) But worse, it won't let me save passwords in the Dropbox vault AT ALL, and esp not as default....

Correct, local vaults are not supported. You can only use 1Password 6 with 1Password.com accounts. Local vaults are only for migrating purposes, not for full time use.

If you do not have a license for 1Password 4 for Windows, yes. If you do, 1Password 4 for Windows is available with full local vault support that you can find here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

What is the way to downgrade to the "buggy and quirky - but working 5.0 version?"....

I'm not sure what you mean, there is no 1Password 5 for Windows, it is either 4 or 6.

There are also some nasty behaviors (such as generate a password on a site, then convert it to login from the browser extension, and then never find that login again.... :( ).

I'm not sure what you mean, we don't support converting Password > Logins in either 1Password 4 or 6 for Windows. Can you clarify this for me?

Since we are on it, there is no way to "Never ask for this website" in the auto-save, and no way to hit "ESC" or ctrl-w or something to dismiss the Save dialog/Unlock dialog invoked by submitting a login not in 1p....

Yep, they'll be improved in future updates. 1Password 6 is a new/young program that doesn't yet have all of the features that 1Password 4 has, it is a new codebase and it will take time for us to implement the rest.

Is 1p cloud going to be the way going forward? If so, have others migrated to other systems? I dont want to use the cloud.... (I do use it for our business, but will migrate everyone to another solution if required)... but I want my personal ones in Dropbox/Other FS with my own encription and not be contrained to obligation of a 1p cloud acct....

1Password.com is the future for us. Android, macOS, iOS and Windows all support 1Password.com in the latest versions, but only Android/macOS/iOS versions support local vaults in addition to 1Password.com. We are not working on adding local vaults to the Windows version but we'd like to do it in the future.

but I want my personal ones in Dropbox/Other FS with my own encription and not be contrained to obligation of a 1p cloud acct....

Unfortunately, that's not going to be an option for you with 1Password 6 for Windows. Is there a specific reason you do not trust us to store the encrypted data on our servers? We have no access to anyone's encryption keys, so there's no way to break into our servers and grab usable data. In addition, in order to break into a specific user account, you must know two separate keys that are never transmitted in clear view anywhere, your Secret Key and Master Password.

• roynasser
    roynasser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @roynasser,

1Password 6 for Windows is not an upgrade to 1Password 4 and has never supported local vaults. We've added local vaults as readonly support to allow you to migrate your local vaults to 1Password.com accounts. However because a lot of people have confused it as supporting local vaults, we're going to update 1Password 6 to remove it, so that you can use Import instead to migrate your data.

After updating 1password6 to the latest version on Windows 10 (I use it on Mac and iOS extensively), however in windows it requires me to log in to a team before allowing me to add my dropbox vault.... (PITA, but ok...) But worse, it won't let me save passwords in the Dropbox vault AT ALL, and esp not as default....

Thanks, I was indeed confused about local vaults in 1P6 for windows as I'm coming from a Mac where 1password has been my goto solution for years... (much much before 1p cloud existed)...

Correct, local vaults are not supported. You can only use 1Password 6 with 1Password.com accounts. Local vaults are only for migrating purposes, not for full time use.

Understood... pity :(

If you do not have a license for 1Password 4 for Windows, yes. If you do, 1Password 4 for Windows is available with full local vault support that you can find here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

I do have a license for 1p4, as when I migrated to Windows10 for some of my things I needed 1P and 1P6 was too crashy and didnt have browser plugin (it was a yr ago or so when the first betas were around)...so I got the 4 verison.

I'm not sure what you mean, there is no 1Password 5 for Windows, it is either 4 or 6.

Sorry, my mistake, 1P4 for windows is what I meant.... can I just remove 1p6 and install 1p4 on windows? how will this play regarding browser extensions on synced chrome profiles? (macs have 1p6 windwos will have 1p4).

There are also some nasty behaviors (such as generate a password on a site, then convert it to login from the browser extension, and then never find that login again.... :( ).

I'm not sure what you mean, we don't support converting Password > Logins in either 1Password 4 or 6 for Windows. Can you clarify this for me?

When you generate a password, be it on 1P6 win or mac, it shows as "Generated password for X" (as mostly it doesnt detect a new login in my experience), so I go into the generated password and there is a "Convert to Login" button that I press and add a username.... I think I wasnt clear, but I have used it hundreds of times, and in fact there are multiple discussions on doing just that, convert password to login (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59306/what-is-the-difference-between-password-and-login-record-types) anyways, moot point since it seems it put the login in the cloud instead of my local vault due to the limitation/depracation of support you mentioned.

Yep, they'll be improved in future updates. 1Password 6 is a new/young program that doesn't yet have all of the features that 1Password 4 has, it is a new codebase and it will take time for us to implement the rest.

Got it, just wantd to make sure it was already on the list as its quite cumbersome for heavy usage. out of curiosity, are you using the macOS->Windows portability frameworks from microsoft? I have seen excellent results with very little effort, whereas re-writes are one of the hardest things to achieve in my experience as a developer...but this is just curiosity...

1Password.com is the future for us. Android, macOS, iOS and Windows all support 1Password.com in the latest versions, but only Android/macOS/iOS versions support local vaults in addition to 1Password.com. We are not working on adding local vaults to the Windows version but we'd like to do it in the future.

Sorry I'm a bit conused...you arent adding full support now but you will in the future?

but I want my personal ones in Dropbox/Other FS with my own encription and not be contrained to obligation of a 1p cloud acct....

Unfortunately, that's not going to be an option for you with 1Password 6 for Windows. Is there a specific reason you do not trust us to store the encrypted data on our servers? We have no access to anyone's encryption keys, so there's no way to break into our servers and grab usable data. In addition, in order to break into a specific user account, you must know two separate keys that are never transmitted in clear view anywhere, your Secret Key and Master Password.

Logging in to 1P cloud is very "hard" imo on a new device, in fact my 1P team login is stored in my local vault...lol... I change and protect my Dropbox and other filesync systems, change passwords frequesntly etc... I dont have any real issue except for cost and the ability to have my own copy of the data automatically and know that its secure elsewhere or in multiple locations... Despite all efforts, who knows if 1P could suffer a massive data loss one day.... Dropbox could, but I have my backups, both on local medias as well as other cloud storage... I'm not at all paranoid... honestly except for some banking damage, I dont have that much to hide and most services have 2fa etc... Mostly its cost.... I have already paid for several licenses of 1P, on several versions and several devices... I dont think I should be tied into a subscription service on top of that... esp since that is a "new thing" which wasnt what I bought into....

Further, for teams it can become quite expensive, esp if you need (as most would for larger teams) better control etc.... I cant justify paying 6000$ a year (figuring about 50 devs) for a password solution where other solutions (including some which are really tailored to development/techops) can offer the same or more benefits.... I chose 1p for my persona needs, and migrated to a team for trial in company with a few users, but although it would be nice to have a "1 solution", today other solutions are reaching the functionality level (or surpassing in Windows at least), for free or cheaper...

Anyways, 1P has been great, never had issues, love it... but with the changes it is becoming less useful for me, and with the cost its not something I want to implement for my team.

Congratulations on the road paved so far, and best of luck for the future! If others have simiar thoughts and made a switch I'd kindly ask for recommendations via direct message as dont want to use this for promoting competitors, but I'm genuinely looking.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @roynasser,

Sorry, my mistake, 1P4 for windows is what I meant.... can I just remove 1p6 and install 1p4 on windows? how will this play regarding browser extensions on synced chrome profiles? (macs have 1p6 windwos will have 1p4).

Yes, and we use the same browser extensions for both 1Password versions on both macOS and Windows platforms. The 1Password extension itself has no UI or data, it communicates with the main 1Password process (we call it 1Password Helper in 1Password 4 and 1Password mini in 1Password 6) running on your computer.

In fact, you can keep both 1Password 4 and 6 installed and switch between them if you want. Here's the article on how.

When you generate a password, be it on 1P6 win or mac, it shows as "Generated password for X" (as mostly it doesnt detect a new login in my experience),

We may have crossed the wires, I've meant what problem you saw using it on Windows because we don't support it yet. Converting Password items to Login is coming in a future update for sure.

are you using the macOS->Windows portability frameworks from microsoft?

No, we're natively coding it in C# in .NET 4.6.x, there is no porting or rewriting, it's a new codebase from the ground up designed to scale for the next decade to come. In fact, the main reason we're "late" on Windows with this is because we were trying to rewrite 1Password 4 (Delphi-based) to support 1Password.com but scrapped it and had to do a new codebase instead.

We are also working on a separate Universal Windows Store version that'll be converting the current desktop .NET codebase using Microsoft's Win32 > UWP Bridge.

We'll share more details on that soon.

Sorry I'm a bit conused...you arent adding full support now but you will in the future?

Correct, we are not actively doing anything with local vault support. We're working to implement all of the basic 1Password features to 1Password 6 first.

1Password.com and local vault formats are two radically different data structures with different encryption protocols, it is much faster for us to support 1Password.com first because most of it is abstracted in API calls, we can pull down template data from the server (which is how we're supporting the beta custom categories for 1Password Teams). For local vaults, we must accommodate ten years worth of format changes (including two separate formats, AgileKeychain and OPVault). We're a small team, so we need to prioritize with the resources we have. Since we have 1Password 4 for full local vault support, we went with 1Password.com first for 1Password 6.

Despite all efforts, who knows if 1P could suffer a massive data loss one day.... Dropbox could, but I have my backups, both on local medias as well as other cloud storage.

We use Amazon Web Services to store your encrypted content, we have a lot of redundancies to back up your data to multiple servers around the planet. Not to mention Dropbox used to use them too.

Your 1Password data is not streamed from our servers, all data except for attachments are downloaded first when you sign in and you don't need constant internet connection to keep using 1Password. We don't download attachments to save bandwidth and resources. We are looking into an option to download all attachments on certain computers you choose to use.

If we go out of business, you can still use 1Password offline and export the data. We are also having discussions on how to do offline archival copy as well. The reason we don't do this now is because there has to be a way to not use the offline old data against you. Certain companies do not want employees to back up their data elsewhere without some kind of control on them.

I have already paid for several licenses of 1P, on several versions and several devices... I dont think I should be tied into a subscription service on top of that... esp since that is a "new thing" which wasnt what I bought into....

We do understand and you can certainly keep using your current licenses forever. However, one thing that a lot of people didn't know is that 1Password.com has no extra cost for the apps, you will get access to all 1Password apps on all platforms and all future updates included, there are no more separate upgrade or licensing costs involved. If you let your subscription lapse, 1Password apps still work and you can still view your data or export, the only thing that happens is your editing ability will be locked until you renew. You must explicitly delete your account if you want your data to be removed.

Further, for teams it can become quite expensive, esp if you need (as most would for larger teams) better control etc.... I cant justify paying 6000$ a year (figuring about 50 devs) for a password solution where other solutions (

We'd love to reach out and talk to you more on what your needs are. Can you email us here, so we can learn how we can improve the value of our service for you.

Nothing is set in stone when it comes to 1Password.com and its prices, we're always adjusting and adding more value to it. We're just getting started but one thing is that we're pricing based on what will sustain our service/company for the long run. We have no VC funding or investors, we're a private Canadian company, so we can't afford to just give 1Password.com service away or set pricing that could not sustain us but pricing changes based on the market.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

We are also working on a separate Universal Windows Store version that'll be converting the current desktop .NET codebase using Microsoft's Win32 > UWP Bridge.

That is a shame if this is what you are doing. Using legacy API's is understandable in that you don't want to write for both Windows 7 and Windows 10 users, but it still means that a mobile version won't be forthcoming and that features like Windows Hello would not be used. I guess a native UWP version would only be available once the majority of Windows users migrate to Windows 10 (and by that I mean more small businesses / corporates).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337: You're making some assumptions there. While we can't promise anything with regard to mobile at this time, Windows Phone is part of the reason we started using UWP in the first place, and Windows Hello is something we plan to support as well. Again, we don't have anything more to share at this time since we're focused on getting the new UWP app out the door with Edge support, but I didn't want to let you think these things aren't on our minds as well. Cheers! :)

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @architect1337,

We have a native UWP/mobile app with Windows Hello support in the Windows Store for current customers for more than a year and half now, we've only pulled it late last year from the Windows Store for new sales. We do plan to bundle this in with the converted desktop app but nothing is confirmed at the moment.

You can use most of the UWP APIs for the bridged desktop app, including Windows Hello. This is required in order for us to support Edge extensions along with other browsers that many users want to use. The bridge allows us to use the best of both worlds (UWP and wider complete Windows APIs), UWP doesn't cover all of the features we need but the bridge will allow us to fill the gap than UWP on its own.

We can bundle the mobile app or keep them separate as well. We haven't decided yet, it all depends on how this works out.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I've had 2 older phones stop working on me suddenly. I may give UWP a try if I knew if it wasn't a dead end product. Microsoft's market share in mobile is very tiny. What are the chances of 1Password for UWP being dropped?

Also, 1Password 6.5 has stopped syncing to OneDrive and Dropbox, so how am I going to get my data across? My 1Password.com account is frozen at this point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I don't have anything to add to Mike's post from a few days ago, but I've merged the discussions to keep everything in one place. Looking forward to having a UWP app for everyone again. And while you'd still technically be able to install the old version if you'd "purchased" it previously, better to wait for the new one. It'll be a big upgrade. ;)

This discussion has been closed.