To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have been using 1Password on several devices...but I'm not sure whether I have or need an account.

Options
andrews2228
andrews2228
Community Member

I use 1Password on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. But I'm not sure that I have an "account" -- I thought I did. I have a user name and password. Do I need an account (and if so, how is it different from what I've been doing)? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:account

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Accounts only exist in the subscription model, the term was never used by AgileBits in their stand-alone version. If you are happy with what you have, and have not set up a subscription, no need to change.

Mind you, there are some advantages to going with the subscription, even if you have already paid. See https://support.1password.com/why-account/ for more info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andrews2228: Indeed, if you've been using only the standalone 1Password app, you won't have an account (or a 1Password.com membership). Either way, be sure to let us know if there's anything we can help with. Cheers! :)

• andrews2228
    andrews2228
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your responses. If I don't have an account, should my info be syncing across my various devices? I ask because I recently changed a password in 1Password for a particular website but I don't see that the change was made on all of my other devices. Thanks!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you don't have an account, you will have to set up syncing manually, it's not automatic. One of the advantages of the subscription approach is that it syncs without any further action on your part.

You will have to set up Dropbox or iCloud syncing yourself if you want to continue without a sub.

• Jacob
    Options

@andrews2228 As danco mentioned, you can still sync your data without an account, but you'll need to set that up using iCloud or Dropbox. You can learn how to do that here, or you can migrate your data to an account and use that to manage everything in one place. :)

This discussion has been closed.