Just installed the app on android, no "1password.com" account sync option on the launch page

evaluniverse
evaluniverse
Community Member

Hi, I use 1password with no issues on several platforms but just installed it on an older android phone I have and cannot figure out how to log in at all. When I open the app I only get the options for Dropbox, WLAN Server, Local storage and Create a standalone vault. My understanding from searching is that I want the 1password.com storage/sync option but it's no where to be found. I'd post a screenshot but apparently some kind of DRM protection prevents that?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 4.4.2
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @evaluniverse. Thanks for contacting us today. :)

1Password accounts require Android 5.0 (Lollipop), so unfortunately, you won't be able to use your 1Password account in the app on a KitKat device. Are you able to update your OS to Lollipop?

If not, we can get you set up with a local vault on that device. In order to do so, can you let me know what other devices you're using 1Password on? Thanks!

• blicksky
    blicksky
    Community Member

I'm in a similar situation. My primary phone running Android 7.1 is bricked and is in the process of being replaced, so I'm using my old phone that can't upgrade past Android 4.3 temporarily. Since I can't sign into my 1Password account with that version of Android, I'm wondering what my options are. I'd be happy with a way to export a copy of my vault(s) to put on the device and use as a local vault, with the understanding that they won't automatically update. How can I do that or something similar?

• saad
    edited March 2017

@blicksky Since it sounds like you are looking for a temporary solution, you should be able to access your data by simply signing in to your 1Password account on https://signin.1password.com/ on the Chrome Android browser. Let us know if that works for you! :)

• blicksky
    blicksky
    Community Member

That will probably work for my purposes, but won't allow me to use the 1Password keyboard for autofilling, and since this is an older phone, would likely be really slow. Is there any way to accomplish the general idea of exporting a snapshot of a vault to load onto the phone to use as a local vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blicksky: I think you may be right, and it also may be the case that you're stuck with an incompatible browser. I legitimately don't know if Chrome can be kept up to date on Android 4. I still think it's worth a try though, as it would mean less work for you.

If you have 1Password for Mac though, you could copy your data over to a local vault and sync it with 1Password for Android separately. if that's an option for you, let me know which OS and 1Password versions you have there and I can walk you through it.

• blicksky
    blicksky
    Community Member

I use 1Password on MacOS as well as Windows, with the latest versions of each, and I have 1Password 6.5.1 on the Android device on which I'm trying to set this up. Can you help me with the steps to set this up?

• evaluniverse
    evaluniverse
    Community Member

Ok, I don't think I can (easily) upgrade to 5.0 since this is a rooted phone with no carrier right now. I am also using 1password apps on a macbook pro, ipad and (more modern) android.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@evaluniverse: It's definitely worth looking into, as you're missing out 1Password.com features with Android 4 due to lack of support for security features, and also you're missing out on all the other security improvements the OS has gotten since then. If it's possible to upgrade, it will be worth jumping through a few hoops. But yeah the carrier situation doesn't help. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blicksky: Sure!

1. On your Mac, go to 1Password Preferences > Advanced and enable local vaults
    2. Go to Preferences > WLAN Server and enable it
    3. Copy any data you want to have on your Android 4 device to the new Primary vault
    4. Sync your data

Just please a few things in mind here:

• It's best to treat the Android 4 device as only a reader, since manually managing the data will make it easy to mix things up.
    • Copying data back and forth between 1Password.com and the local vault will not overwrite data, as the items will each get a new UUID each time. This is good because you won't lose anything. But it's bad because if you're not careful with what you do, you could end up copying over multiple versions of the same items and confusing things.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• evaluniverse
    evaluniverse
    Community Member

Thanks, that worked, although the distinction between the "Primary" vault and "Personal" was pretty confusing for a while.

• I'm glad Brenty was able to help out! Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.