Version 324: Family members can create their own vaults?

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member

Hi their,

First off I wish you all the best from the wonderful island of Mallorca. I just read the new release notes for the web version of 1Password and was exited when I saw that my family members can now create vaults without admin permissions. But as it seems this only works for new accounts. Now comes my question do I need to create a new family member or a new family account for this? Can if so? Would there be a way to migrate my old one to a new one in order to use this new feature? Because then I would create an special admin account that has all the rights and print this emergency kit and put it in a safe and not use my "main" account as a admin account. That would give me a safer rest :D

Thanks, oh and stay awesome! :)
Timo

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rob
    rob
    edited September 2017

Hi, @ntimo!

Great question! You are right that it is currently only for new family accounts. However, I am checking with the team to see what the best way forward would be for older family accounts. We may decide that we could make it retroactive for all families, or we may add a preference or other way to "upgrade" an existing account. We'll keep you posted. :)

Also, I just did an image search for "Mallorca" and now I really feel like sipping lemonade in the sun... ;)

ref: b5-2641

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi @rob,

Okay thanks :) By the way the GitHub 404 page is really nice ;) I hope there will be some kind of way in order for older accounts to use this feature. But even if it would not be possible to "convert" a family account could I setup a new one? And then have the billing infos and Earl being transferred? If that would be possible, I would do it :dizzy: .

Have a nice day,
    Timo

P.S: Oh and I can assure you that is what I am doing the whole day long ;) Just sipping lemonade.

• Hi @ntimo - If it's not possible then yes, you could create a new Families account and have everything transferred over. I'll be more than happy to work with you. I hope to have more news to share with you soon and I promise to update you here :+1: Don't forget to save some lemonade for me :wink:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Hi @Frank,

Nice can't wait for the news. I think when I am back in Germany I will send you an e-mail ;). Till then I will drink a lemonade for you and @rob. I definitely should post some photos of the lemonade on my blog :silenced:

Timo

• Hi @ntimo - Sounds like a plan. We would love to see pictures! I'm drinking hot chocolate right now since it's freezing outside so I think you have us beat :wink: Talk to you soon & safe travels.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi @Frank,
    Oh I love hot chocolate. Sure lets talk once I am back at home :)

Timo

• Fantastic! I look forward to continuing our conversation :smile: Safe travels!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

@frank Will this come to people who already had a family account? I've talked to @brenty about this before. My account is not even 2 months old :(

I talked about it in this thread
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/362484/#Comment_362484

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni

Hey there, @prime !

Although this feature is not currently available in already-existing Family accounts, we are definitely looking for ways to make it available for all Family accounts. I don't have any news to share with you now on this, but we will be sure to keep you updated once we have more to share! :)

For now, if you would like to take advantage of the feature, you can create a new Family account and migrate your data over to there. If this is something that you would like help doing, feel free to ask!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Brian so it will eventually come to existing accounts?

• Frank
    edited April 2017

Hi @Prime - I'll be completely honest, I don't have an answer for you right now. I will definitely make sure to update you and ntimo here once I have a little more information to share :smile:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@frank thanks. My daughter stuff gives me a hard time about this still. She really loved having her school/work and personal in separated vaults.

This would be so exciting too. I really don't want to start over, I feel like I perfected this now and got everything set. And re-doing 2 shared vaults and 5 family members would not be an easy day.

• Hi @Prime I completely understand and I'm happy you're excited about the new permissions :+1: I promise I'll keep bugging the team for more details :lol: As soon as I have more news to share, I will make sure to post an update here.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank Thanks soooooooo much! I'm actually very excited about this!!!!

• You're welcome @Prime, I'm excited for this as well so hopefully we can make this retroactive without having to create a new account. Either way, we'll make sure to update everyone here. :smile: Enjoy the rest of your day!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank you guys have smart people over there so I am confident that this can happen without new accounts :)
    Have a great day too!!

• Thank you @Prime, very much appreciated! :+1:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

What's the (technical) reason why only new accounts currently have this functionality?

• Hi, @XIII. Good question! The "create vault" permission is implemented through a group that contains all members in the account. In Pro team accounts, this is exposed as the Team Members group, and the team administrators can change the permissions of that group. The change we made was to make the default permissions for that group include the permission to create vaults. The default permissions are only used when the account is created for the first time, so it wasn't retroactive.

To make it retroactive, we would have to actually change existing accounts' permissions, and we did not want to presume in that way. Some accounts may rely on that permission not being granted, and the administrators in Pro teams can simply grant it if they would like to.

However, for family accounts, there is no way to edit the permissions of that group, so we would need to either change the existing permissions for all accounts or expose a control to let families change it themselves.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

expose a control to let families change it themselves.

@rob
    I like that idea :+1:

• We appreciate the feedback @Prime and we'll make sure to let you know either way here :+1: #PrimeApproved

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank please do. I'm putting adding my in-laws on hold to my family account. If I have to start over, I'm already at 13-14 devices switching over total, and I reeeeeeeally don't want to do that if I don't have too.

My in-laws just got back from their 4 month trip, so I want to add them soon, and they seem excited about this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Keep in mind that either way it doesn't change things for you since last week having family/team members create vaults wasn't even possible. And with a 1Password.com, setting up a new device is much simpler at least, worst case scenario. But I hear you. We'll figure something out. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty but when you have a teenager who reminds you she now just has 1 vault for everything... you know how dramatic teens can be haha. Hey, I'm just impressed and happy that I have a teen who's serious about this stuff.

I'm confident the older users will get it, so I'm not worried. I just like the family deal I got, and don't want to give that up to start over :)

• I hear you Prime and I appreciate the confidence :smile: Stay tuned and we'll make sure to update you as soon as we know more :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Thanks again @Frank, can't wait!

• Anytime Prime, you're very welcome! :smile:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Hi @Frank,
    It would be really nice if you could just add a button that would "add" this permission to the group so the family organizer can decide on this. For me it would not be that of a hassle to start over since. I am the only one using the family account. Okay I have a test account too but that one was only used for the windows beta and can now be deleted :D So I would only need to move my items. Is there a way to copy/download/move the vault icons? Because finding these images is going to be hard :dizzy:

Edit: Does the history of an item gets copied too?

Timo

• Hi @ntimo - It's great to hear back from you. Thank you for sending over the link to the blog! Beautiful pictures :love:

If you end up having to create a new account, when moving the items over, everything should migrate over including history. The icons for the vaults could be an issue. But I recommend waiting until I have more news, I'm hoping you won't have to create a new account to take advantage of the new permission.

I will make sure to update everyone here once we figure out if this can be done :smile:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Hi @Frank,
    I am happy you like them :) I will upload more once I am home. I hope that once I am home there might be some news :) I know this can take some time to get right ;) But I still in a way can't wait for it. I hope you have a wonderful day too.

Edit: by the way do you have Twitter :dizzy:

Timo

This discussion has been closed.