Unable to fill using Chrome on iOS

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can I use 1Password to fill the chrome app on my iphone?.

Comments

• JZuser
    JZuser
    Community Member

Hi Ben:
    I can get it to work on Safari on my iPhone 6s, but I prefer to use Chrome and it doesn't work. I've set up the extension, but the login/password does not populate the site's fields. Can you give me step by step instructions to get this going?
    Thanks.

• Hi @JZuser,

Just to be clear: you're able to access the 1Password extension within Chrome, but it doesn't fill?
    Is that happening on every site, or just a particular site/set of sites? If the latter, please provide the URLs to the login pages of those sites.

And also to clarify: those same sites work in Safari on iOS when filling with 1Password?

Ben

• JZuser
    JZuser
    Community Member

Ben:
    It appears to be Chase (chase.com), and it doesn't fill on either Safari or Chrome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JZuser: Can you tell me which URL you're using? Maybe there's a workaround.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JZuser: Ah, thank you. I'm a Chase customer myself too, and in testing this I find that I'm now being redirected to that page as well, and there doesn't seem to be an option to get a different page.

Since they're now putting the login form in a frame loading from a different page, it isn't possible for 1Password (or any other extensions) to access it. This is a limitation of Safari. You're probably thinking that doesn't make sense because you specifically mentioned Chrome, but all browsers on iOS use Safari (it's all Apple allows) under the hood, so they all have the same limitation.

While it's possible that Apple may change this in the future, I think it's unlikely. Frankly, putting a login form in a frame is unnecessary and a potential a security risk, since the contents of a frame can be loaded from anywhere and it's invisible to the user. For example, it would show that you're at www.example.com when in fact you're entering login credentials into a page from a phishing website. Even with a desktop browser it's difficult for most people to discover this, but on a mobile device it's nearly impossible.

Long story short, it's necessary to copy and paste login credentials on iOS. And honestly, I've started using their app instead since I can login once there and then use Touch ID after that. And after looking at the mobile site, I get the impression they really want us to use the app anyway. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.